Anyone else had trouble since upgrading to W7 and/or WMP12?

My Media Converter worked wonderfully and seamlessly with Vista and the codecs I previously had installed with WMP 11.

Over the last month, I made two changes to my computer.  The first was installing Corel Videostudio X2.  (Corel makes this SanDisk application, so I doubt the conflict is there).  I also upgraded to Windows 7 with the new Windows Media Player.  I did an upgrade, not a fresh install.  So my old codecs are still there.

Now the converter gets stuck at 0%.  I tried uninstalling Videostudio, but no luck.  It’s weird, because the videos play just fine in the preview window of the Sansa Media Converter.

I may do a fresh install of 7 at some point, but for now I’m transferring videos to be converted to my old XP computer, but that’s annoying and slow.

Any help?

Same problem here. Corel Video Studio x2, Windows 7, and the result is SMC stuck at 0 percent.

And video4fuze won’t work either. Me at all not happy.

I recently changed to windows 7 as well and have this same problem. I had to convert the files all to a wmv to be able to use it. So far it works great . Might give that a try !!

Yeah, there really needs to be an update for our converter that doesn’t fight Win7 so much.  I hate having to convert for the converter.  It wastes time and it wastes disk space.

Y’all reckon them Sansa folks have heard there is a new (far superior) Windows OS that’s been out for a while now which will be installed on most computers people receive for presents this Christmas, possibly with a new Fuze as well which will make them hate their product and never trust them again?

Update:

Clean install of Windows 7 – this time with 64 bit – still stuck at 0%. 

gggmilf wrote:

Update:

I have been reading this thread. I am planning to check on this but I will need to borrow a Windows 7 PC. I am running Vista for a few more months waiting for 1 bug fix (The fact that you have to use Silverlight to get WMP, WMM, and several others). When I can borrow a Windows 7 computer Ill check it out. I do know this, there were issues with Vista 64 bit as well. That may be the issue here. 

I am using 7RC 32 bit, so not sure if this issue is related to the Windows API version.

I took your advice and used Adobe Premiere Elements to convert an mp4 movie I had to wmv.  Now, for the first time, the Sansa Media Converter was able to successfully convert and upload the movie.

So the good news is that I’ve finally managed to upload a movie.  The bad news is, now I’m having to convert the **bleep** thing twice.

Somehow, I suspect that this is a problem related to WMP12.  Perhaps some codec got changed that doesn’t agree with the Media Converter.  It gets stuck trying to convert regular old AVI’s.

Will keep reporting on this problem as soon as I figure it out. 

@xandrazia wrote:
I recently changed to windows 7 as well and have this same problem. I had to convert the files all to a wmv to be able to use it. So far it works great . Might give that a try !!

I took your advice and used Adobe Premiere Elements to convert an mp4 movie I had to wmv.  Now, for the first time, the Sansa Media Converter was able to successfully convert and upload the movie.

So the good news is that I’ve finally managed to upload a movie.  The bad news is, now I’m having to convert the darn thing twice.

Somehow, I suspect that this is a problem related to WMP12.  Perhaps some codec got changed that doesn’t agree with the Media Converter.  It gets stuck trying to convert regular old AVI’s.

Will keep reporting on this problem as soon as I figure it out. 

@gggmilf wrote:

Update:

Just received a Fuze for Xmas. Running Win 7 x64, I was able to convert one video successfully, but it didn’t have any sound. 2nd video had sound when I previewed it, but when I tried to convert it, the progress bar also remained at 0%. 0% for every subsequent video I tried. 

Downloaded and installed video4fuze, (had to set it to run in Win XP SP3 compatibility mode), and it converts videos flawlessly.

Don’t bother with the Sansa Media Converter, just get video4fuze. Works much better.

Oh… if you’re SMC developers, disregard my previous comment. :smileyvery-happy:

Or maybe consider appropriating the video4fuze source and following their conversion method instead. :dizzy_face:

Ive got the same problem on my win7 x64 laptop. Installed a full codec package, still no difference, stays on 0%. So far the problem is only on certain avi’s though. However it works completely fine on my vista machine so ive just been using that instead. Would be nice to know what the problem with win7 is though?

Message Edited by spark001uk on 01-07-2010 06:07 AM

Don’t know, but run it in XP compatibility mode, that should do it.

Another update:

I finally gave up on the media converter and switched to video4fuze.  But it was a rocky transition.  Here’s some helpful  pointers for anyone else who might want to do the same:

I downloaded and installed video4fuze.  Selected my target file and output folder.  After the second time trying it, I got an Error 2, “cannot find file”.  I corrected this by clicking Advanced>Preferences and teaching video4fuze the correct path to the mencoder.exe program that it was missing.  (It was thinking the program was in appdata).  Next, I was getting an error associated with AVIMUX_GUI.exe.  I had to right click on this, select troubleshoot compatability, and tell Windows to run this in XP SP3 mode.  Finally, I got an error about Elevation Level.  So now when I start video4fuze, I run the program as an administrator.  Finally, it works perfectly.

Hope this helps Win 7 users.