Ultra II SD low real life speed

Hello

I just purchased a 2GB SD Ultra II from a retail store.

I popped it into my digital camera, formatted it and took some pictures.

All is fine so far.

I wanted to test it against my other SD cards, so I formatted each SD card using Windows Explorer and then using Total Commander I transferred a single 1+GB file to each of the the cards using an Apacer Card reader.

The results are as follows:

TwinMos Ultra-X 150x - 5407105 bytes/s (~5.16MBps)

Kingston Elite Pro 50x - 5080814 bytes/s (~ 4.85 MBps)

SanDisk Ultra II - 2709767 bytes/s (~ 2.59 MBps). :smileysurprised: The card is marketed as "9 MBps writing speed, 10 MBps reading speed"

The card does not appear to be a fake one as it has all the characteristics of a genuine one, and the store I got it from does not sell stuff like that.

Any suggestions?

Message Edited by mirceaar on 04-26-2008 05:11 AM

Re: Ultra II SD low real life speed

the speed of the card really depends on many factors like your reader and computer, not just the card itself...

for example, the maximum write speed of your reader is 5 Mbps, then you won't be able to get the 9 Mbps.

did you test it by taking note how long did it take to transfer 1GB file? this is an additional factor cause flash is faster than HDD.

try using ATTO benchmark and a firewire card reader.:smileywink:

also, are you testing all the cards at the same time? try testing it one at a time. 

Message Edited by marqck on 04-27-2008 11:34 AM

Well all the cards have been tested one after the other and no additional processes were or have been started during the test, and the SanDisk card has been tested twice with similar results :smileysad:

what kind of reader are you using?

what benchmarking tool are you using?

@drlucky wrote:

In his original post he answered your two questions. It's almost like there was a time paradox loop where he already knew the questions before you asked them. Weird how that stuff happens.

I wanted to test it against my other SD cards, so I formatted each SD card using Windows Explorer and then using Total Commander I transferred a single 1+GB file to each of the the cards using an Apacer Card reader.

@Noe_Boddi wrote:

@drlucky wrote:

In his original post he answered your two questions. It's almost like there was a time paradox loop where he already knew the questions before you asked them. Weird how that stuff happens.

sorry guess i was a little tired when i responded to this post:smileyhappy:

I've redone the testing, same conditions as above, but this time with a Kingston SD/MMC card reader.

TwinMos Ultra-X 150x - 6203941 bytes/s (~5.92MBps)

Kingston Elite Pro 50x - 5432022 bytes/s (~ 5.18 MBps)

SanDisk Ultra II - 2924935 bytes/s (~ 2.79 MBps).

Obviously this reader has a little greater speed, not by much tho'.

The SanDisk card behaves the same...