Accepted Solution

SanDisk Memory Stick Pro 1GB Ultra II Reading / Recognition / Formatting Issues

Hello from New Zealand,

we have an issue - this memory stick worked perfect twice, and the 3rd time I popped the stick into my laptop's reader, a 'windows installer' window popped up, then went away, but the little cursor arrow had the hourglass flashing next to it constantly - till I take the stick out - every time I try now it's the same.

I have tried formatting in the laptop - but it says ' There is no disk in the drive' - although in 'My Computer' it identifies the stick no worries, I've tried using my Sony DSC-F828 to re-format but to no avail either.

What do I do - I've got plenty of other sticks - older, newer, smaller, larger, this one came new with my camera, and although I only opened it last week, it's a year and a half old, so I can't take it back:smileysad:

The Stick says 'San Disk - Memory Stick Pro - Ultra II - 1GB - Magic Gate' and on the bottom  'SDMSPH-1024 BB0404AO China'.

My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio - all other cards work fine.

What can I do - I can't seem to get the jpeg's off of it, or re-format it at all - quite frustrating!

Thank you,

Kia Kaha,

Harlan

Auckland, New Zealand

harlansmart@gmail.com

Re: SanDisk Memory Stick Pro 1GB Ultra II Reading / Recognition / Formatting Issues

Well, I think you have lost your pictures permanently.  But, put the card back into your reader, right click on My Computer, and then choose Manage.  When the new window opens up, click on Disk Management on the left hand side.  The right hand side will divide into an upper and lower half.  Look on the lower half for the Disk that corresponds with the drive letter you usually go to in My Computer to access the Memory Stick.  If you see it there, see if it say the proper capacity (should be about 980 MB) and then look to the right to see if there is a blue or black bar in the white area. 

If there is a black bar, it means that the card has lost it's partition, and the pictures are gone.  If that is the case, go here and download the utility and run it to see if it will repartition the card:

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

If there is no bar, and the Disk that corresponds to your drive says "No Media", then the card is probably bad, because it also does not work in your camera.

Re: SanDisk Memory Stick Pro 1GB Ultra II Reading / Recognition / Formatting Issues

Thank you fuzzy logic!

I did as you suggested, and there is no bar, and the Disk that corresponds to the drive says "No Media", I downloaded the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and ran it - but it did'nt realise the SanDisk Memory Stick was in the reader - I had no way for it to format the Stick??

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you from your friend in New Zealand

Kia Kaha

Harlan

harlansmart@gmail.com

www.timekeepers.co.nz

Well, i don't think there is anything else you are going to be able to do.  I would call SanDisk and see about getting it replaced.  You will probably need to troubleshoot it with them on the phone, though, so be prepared to repeat what you may have already done.  I am sure they just need to make certain it is the card.

Anyway, this is the contact info off the SanDisk web site for New Zealand

New Zealand
0800 449 052
M-F | 9am - 6pm New South Wales Time

Thanks Fuzzy Logic,

I have tried that number 10 times or so now, but just keep on getting a fax line:smileysad:

I'll see if I can find some other numbers for SanDisk

All the best, and cheers heaps:smileyhappy:

Harlan

Auckland, New Zealand

I double checked that information on the SanDisk website and I don't see that phone number listed. There is however an email address listing:

NZSupport@sandisk.com

Highlighted

Thanks very much - I have emailed them, I have called them, I have faxed them, I have been hitting my head against a brick wall - I will continue to do so@!

Cheers for you help - all of you, I will keep trying!

Harlan

Auckland, New Zealand

harlansmart@gmail.com