Re: Got errors? Warning - Counterfeit Sandisk card are everywhere

@nortoncooper wrote:

According to PayPal, to qualify for a refund, i had to:

"return the item to the seller, in the same condition you received it, within 10 calendar days of the date of this email. You are responsible for the cost of returning the merchandise."
They added:

We may not be able to give you a full refund -- the refund amount is based on the terms of our buyer protection programs.

Johan FRANCOIS

Hopefully you paid with a credit card through PayPal.  I don't know if you can, but I would say screw PayPal and contest the charges with the credit card company.  I have done that.  Are you allowed to do that with credit cards in Belgium?

This looks like an excellent idea, worth a try. Not very legal though, as I still got the (useless) counterfeit card in my posession.

Well, I told the credit card company that they sent me a counterfeit product that they misled me to believe was new (this was not for a SanDisk, but a bluetooth headset).  They said ok.

I would also print up anything you can about the auction, like if it says new and that it is a SanDisk, just to cover you incase it is removed in the future.

I'm going through a simular thing. Unfortunately I didn't pay PayPal with my credit card (good tip for next time).

eBay user ejm1150 sent me a counterfeit CF 8GB Extreme IV as well. According to his profile he lives in Plainfield, IL, United States, but the package was mailed in Hong Kong.

I'm new to PayPal, so I started the dispute (is that the right translation?) but I made the mistake of escalating it to a claim immediately (I thought the page was for entering extra information). Now PayPal only registered the fraude report at the users name, but can't help me.

"Our researche on your claim has finished. Like noted in our user agreement the claim procedure is only applicable to the shipment of goods. The policy is not applicable to the properties or the quality of the received goods. Because of that we can't undo the transaction or repay you."

So I checked the user agreement, but there was a whole paragraph about having the right to make a dispute and a claim if the merchent sends something different than what he promised to send.

Now the claim has been closed. I sent a payment request to the merchent, but I don't think he'll accept or even respond. I also mailed PayPal to ask if they can re-open the dispute, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

For some reason the honest consumers always get screwed!!

I already contacted Sandisk before opening the dispute (I wanted to give them time to take actions), but they never replied to my questions like what I should do (I suppose they have a lot of experience with it by now) and how much time I should give them before contacting the merchent, PayPal and eBay.

Above all: first I call Sandisk North America (since it's a toll free number, so I used skype and the dutch office was already closed, which doesn't have a toll free number), the person at the helpdesk asked me to call the dutch number instead... I did the next day, but no dutch employees were available, so I chose to talk with English talking employees and I got forwarded to some global support helpdesk... It just doesn't make sence.

Message Edited by Jurjen on 01-04-2009 07:02 PM

This is getting me furious. PayPal forced me to pay for that card that I have never used (and will never use), and that Chineese crook must be laughing at me (and others) now.

On top of that, when I  closed the dispute (the only alternative that was left to me), PayPal sent me a message stating that I was now happy with the transaction and the seller.

Too bad there is no Internet police to take care of these thieves.

The merchent agreed on refunding the card, but the cost for sending it back to him with registered mail was the same as keeping the card, so...

This was a good lesson to me, I won't pay goods from the internet with PayPal anymore, the credit card option is more secure.

I was also surprised with the lack of reaction from SanDisk, I expected that with their experience with counterfeits they could have given me some advice.

Hope you'll be luckier with this issue then I have been. 

Gotta go with Newegg or Buy.com or Frys but I really like Newegg the best.

How do you tell a fake?

My new Mobile ULTRA 8gig seems genuine. It has some tiny numbers on the front.

What do we look for?

Got same problem months ago, buying a counterfeit sandisk ultra III of 8Gb that I cannot use in my Nikon D2X. As I bought it using my PayPal account, I asked these guys from PayPal not to pay the seller as the good sold wasn't that advertised. I was shocked by the very rude and unexpected answer from PayPal who took position in favour of the seller in China, although I prooved them scam. They told me I had to return the goods to its sender by registered mail if I wanted a refund.

The cost for international registered mail being over the cost of the card itself, I had no choice but to keep it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I hate that. But this will never happen to me again, I simply never, never go to eBay anymore.

I must say I was very surprised that I got only little support from SanDisk in the matter, they don't seem to be too concerned about these fake cards circulating around (or at least they don't show it).

Norton