Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Got errors? Warning - Counterfeit Sandisk card are everywhere

I am posting this to warn people that there are a ton, and I mean a TON of people selling illegal Sandisk counterfeit cards on ebay and various sites. I ordered one myself and didnt realize it until it would NOT work in my Canon Digital Rebel. I googled it, as you can too (google search for counterfeit sandisk ultra) and you will see in the top links there are actually ways to tell the difference between a real and a fake one. Look at the photos and compare yours.

The sad part (and Im sorry sandisk) is that I contacted Sandisk support (twice actually) to let them know about a particular ebay seller that was doing it, and they didnt seemed to be too concerned about it. One rep actually told me (quote) "well there is no way to prove it is the seller that is the bad guy or his source, so there is nothing we can do". (unquote)

ARE YOU KIDDING?? Seriously some needs to get a handle on this.

DONT GET SCAMMED! Buy from a trusted source.

The ebay person that I have confirmed to sell FAKE cards is ebay seller ebuyrealm - do NOT purchase from that seller, You will get your product, but much like the reviews it is not a genuine sandisk card.

Users, please post other places that have proven fakes here.

Message Edited by techdude419 on 12-29-2007 06:09 PM

Re: Got errors? Warning - Counterfeit Sandisk card are everywhere

techdude419,

Thank you for your interest in SanDisk products.

Just to clarify, SanDisk does take these issues very seriously. I have turned the eBay seller listed in your post over to our security team. I do apologize for the inconvenience and would like you to know we are doing everything possible to resolve these issues.

SanDisk Support Team

Message Edited by lil_monsta on 01-14-2008 05:26 PM

I also have been scammed by an eBay community "Power Seller". His log in is adamas*. He has a few negative feedbacks related to counterfeit SanDisk 4.0GB SD cards so I'm not the only one.

I'm filing a claim with eBay and PayPal to shut this guy down, but they are requesting an "expert" to verify that the cards are indeed counterfeit. Do you have any guidelines to verify authenticity?

Thanks in advance 

PS I also have his real name I can send you in an e-mail

Message Edited by jmbunyard on 03-19-2008 06:01 AM

@jmbunyard wrote:

I also have been scammed by an eBay community "Power Seller". His log in is adamas*. He has a few negative feedbacks related to counterfeit SanDisk 4.0GB SD cards so I'm not the only one.

I'm filing a claim with eBay and PayPal to shut this guy down, but they are requesting an "expert" to verify that the cards are indeed counterfeit. Do you have any guidelines to verify authenticity?

Thanks in advance 

PS I also have his real name I can send you in an e-mail

Message Edited by jmbunyard on 03-19-2008 06:01 AM

Contact Technical Support. They are about your best way to determine if your card is real or not. 1-866-SANDISK

I just got done talking to tech support about the authenticity of an ultra ii card I bought off of eBay.  I provided the number on the back and they verified it was authentic.  It took less than 5 minutes to do and this exercise has given me peace of mind.  Thank you tech support!

Please know that the number on the back no longer means the card is genuine.  The counterfeiters have gotten so good at this that they are now using legitimate SanDisk numbers.

I just purchased 5 Extreme IV 16gb cards on Ebay. I should have know better. They are complete fakes. Sandisk doesn't even make these cards. I need these 40mbs cards for our new Sony Z7U cameras. I guess I'll have to buy from Sony as no one else makes this size of card.

Remember do not buy Sandisk from eBay unless you get complete certification from the seller.

Hello,

I've also recently purchased a confirmed counterfeit card from an Ebay seller.  The seller's name is FlashMemoryPro.  He is still currently selling the same product.  I've lodged a dispute against the seller thru Paypal so I'm confident I will get a full refund.

People have been selling fakes on ebay for the last three years - it's nothing new. The problem is that it's so easy to just create a new ebay handle and keep doing it...catching the sellers is like playing whack-a-mole.

I also bought through eBay a SanDisk ExtremeIII 8Gb for 47 dollars from the seller Wei Tao Feng (laytop@gmail.com).

The following day I bid for the item, eBay withdrew the object and its seller from their website. I immediately realised there was something wrong with the seller and thought that was the end of the story and I would never hear about the card anymore. UNFORTUNATELY the following week I was asked by my local post office to pick up a registered parcel which happened to be the Flash card. I had some good reasons to believe it was a fake because of a strange behaviour (remaining pix) and my suspicion, and a fake it was. (see full description of a fake SanDisk product from eBay website: http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Extreme-Compact-Flash-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001456539 )

eBay wouldn't take position in the dispute since they withdrew both the offending item and the "seller" from their site, and mainly because it was paid by PayPal.

According to PayPal, to qualify for a refund, i had to:

"return the item to the seller, in the same condition you received it, within 10 calendar days of the date of this email. You are responsible for the cost of returning the merchandise."
They added:

We may not be able to give you a full refund -- the refund amount is based on the terms of our buyer protection programs.

The next steps were to:
Step 1 –
Return the item to the seller, at the following address:
Room 6628 Lan Tian Lv Du Jia Yuan
No.3 Mei Lin Road Fu Tian District
Shenzhen, Guangdong 518049
China

I had therefore no other option according to PayPal's decision but to use a shipping method with tracking system from a drop down menu on their website. The most obvious option in Belgium being TaxiPost, I went with the package to my local post office and was asked 48 EUROS (62 DOLLARS) to have a 47 DOLLARS USELESS ILLEGAL COPY of a flash card shipped back to the sender!

You can imagine how disapointed and frustrated I was to learn that PayPal took position in favour of a crook, making it possible for a CLEARLY ILLEGAL cheap copy of a SanDisk card to return onto the commercial market!

I definitely feel I am in the hands of an organised crime association, with a seller openly deceiving customers and PayPal who take unfair position in favour of a crook (and they call this "Buyer Protection Programme).

PayPal forced me to keep the item by unilaterally deciding that return costs were at MY charge.

Should PayPal decide to reimburse the item, I am more then willing to send them (at their costs) the card for destruction.

As a professional photographer, I am in absolutely no way willing to take ANY risk of loosing precious data and/or have my expensive Nikon D2X camera damaged, with a void guarantee from Nikon, (connectors torn in the card bay, short-circuits, etc.) by a poor quality counterfeit flash card that don't meet SanDisk high specifications with regard performance such as data transfer.

I would be interested to hear a comment from San Disk Support Team about this issue.

Johan FRANCOIS