Re: Error Code: 0x80070052

Thank you so much for the tip. So far, so good.  I have gotten further using this method (creating folders) and adding files than all of the other tips. I did try to upload a fix from the Microsoft site mentioned in this thread, however my card is a 4gig and rec'd same message:  my computer did not need the fix. It is NOT a Vista issue either.

It is my personal observation that the issue lies with the manufacturer of the card and not any type of file/program used or method used to transfer files.  There are virtually NO instructions (of substance) included with the SD card purchase. I also believe that SD doesnt care if the card works or not. If they did, there would be someone monitoring these chats on their own website. Not to mention, I also sent an email to them regarding this issue (November 28, 2007), and have yet to hear from them.

<shrugs>

I am grateful I found the solution and in the future I will not purchase another card from SanDisk.

Happy New Year!

This problem occurred when I tried to load pictures onto two 2GB Ultra II that were purchased in a bundle at Costco.

These cards were purchased as gifts to accompany digital photo frames; however, when I attempted to load more than ~500 MB (~500 ".jpg" files, about 1 MB a piece), the file transfer would continuously fail (and no additional files of any type or size, including ".TXT" can be added!).  I started with a new laptop (running Vista) with built-in card reader; then tried with the same laptop, but using the photo frame as a card reader; I then tried on another laptop & another desktop (also running Vista, with built-in card readers); finally I tried through a USB card reader on a desktop running XP SP2.  All options fail in the same manner!  It does not matter what files or what order I attempt to transfer, the results are the same.  I reformatted the disks, ran the scan disk utility in Windows, errors were found, but nothing changed.

During all attempts, I have been trying to load into the root (directly onto the drive, no folders).  I am going to try to add folders to see if the situation changes; however, as mentioned, these are for digital photo frames, and I am not sure that I can get the photo frames to cycle through all of the photos in all directories, as I had hoped.  The gift recipients are not tech-saavy, so I hoped to provide a setup that displayed the entire library of photos without user intervention.  If placing the data into folders other than the root is the only solution, I'm not sure this will be possible - VERY DISAPPOINTING SAN DISK!

I was also using the SD cards for digital photo frames and the folder
option worked with the photo frame automatically scrolling through all
the photos within the different folders.
I'd ran a test first to see if you get the same result with your frame.

HotFlash wrote:

It is my personal observation that the issue lies with the manufacturer of the card and not any type of file/program used or method used to transfer files.  There are virtually NO instructions (of substance) included with the SD card purchase. I also believe that SD doesnt care if the card works or not. If they did, there would be someone monitoring these chats on their own website. Not to mention, I also sent an email to them regarding this issue (November 28, 2007), and have yet to hear from them.

the issue is not the manufacturer. the issue is related to the file system you are using. FAT has simply has limitations. if you want to use the card in that device you will either have to create sub folders or reformat into FAT32.

Thank you for message. I have tried the reformatting to all the available types listed(fat, fat32, etc), each one individually, and the result was exactly the same, I would get about 200-300 pics loaded and "here we go again" with the error code 0x80070052 message.   It is STILL my personal observation that IF a 2 GB card is purchased it should NOT MATTER HOW WE LOAD FILES, just that it's capability is 2GB (or whatever the card purchased is).  I will NEVER purchase any product from SanDisk again. BECAUSE there are plenty of other manufactures out there to get my "stuff" from. Thank goodness!!!

Since I first posted this message,  I have purchased 2 other unknown named cards, each of them 4GB and I have over 1000 assorted files loaded so far and NONE of them is in a "folder(s)."  So I repeat.... it IS the MFGR of the card NOT the user. Nuf said!

Peace out!

There's always the possibility you just got a bad card...this will always be a possibility when dealing with devices...

@HotFlash wrote:
Thank you for message. I have tried the reformatting to all the available types listed(fat, fat32, etc), each one individually, and the result was exactly the same, I would get about 200-300 pics loaded and "here we go again" with the error code 0x80070052 message.   It is STILL my personal observation that IF a 2 GB card is purchased it should NOT MATTER HOW WE LOAD FILES, just that it's capability is 2GB (or whatever the card purchased is).  I will NEVER purchase any product from SanDisk again. BECAUSE there are plenty of other manufactures out there to get my "stuff" from. Thank goodness!!!

Since I first posted this message,  I have purchased 2 other unknown named cards, each of them 4GB and I have over 1000 assorted files loaded so far and NONE of them is in a "folder(s)."  So I repeat.... it IS the MFGR of the card NOT the user. Nuf said!

Peace out!

If your memory card is formatted using FAT (Sometimes also called FAT16) there are several limitations you might want to know about:
  • Partition (drive letter) is limited to 2 GB in total size.
  • Root directory is limited to 512 entries (an entry is a file or a directory), although subfolders can contain more than 512 entries.
  • Max number of files on the entire drive is 65,517.
This is an issue that plagues regular hard drives as well, and will plague other manufacturer's devices too. FAT32 was created to help resolve some of these issues. If you purchase a 2GB drive it will be formatted as FAT any drive purchased over 2GB will be formatted in FAT32 by default. Windows won't even give you the option to format in FAT anymore. So the 4GB drives you purchased were already formatted in FAT32 and would not experience the issues you were having.  If you purchase a 2GB you can either use folders to break up the storage so it's not all just in the root directory or you can format it in FAT32. Both solutions will keep you away from that error. 

It's nothing to do with the manufacturer of the drive itself as this issue plagues all FAT formatted devices. I've include links to some other documentation to back up what is listed.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2343991&SiteID=17

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-management/47458-unable-save-files-memory-stick-keep-getting-erro...

I'm experiencing the same problem with a different brand of card:  an Ativa CF 2GB 60x high speed card.  I'm using Vista, so maybe the problem lies with the operating system?  I copied all but 15 of 412 pictures before getting the error message.  I've tried two different types of cards (SD and CF) and two different brands (SanDisk and Ativa).  I thought it might be the card, so I bought a new one, with the same result.

If anyone has solved the problem, please post the result!  Thanks from Atlanta.

@hbritger wrote:

I'm experiencing the same problem with a different brand of card:  an Ativa CF 2GB 60x high speed card.  I'm using Vista, so maybe the problem lies with the operating system?  I copied all but 15 of 412 pictures before getting the error message.  I've tried two different types of cards (SD and CF) and two different brands (SanDisk and Ativa).  I thought it might be the card, so I bought a new one, with the same result.

If anyone has solved the problem, please post the result!  Thanks from Atlanta.

reformat the cards into fat32 or create subfolders and put your files into the folders. either one of these will resolve your issue.

I had the same problem with two different brands of CF 2 GB cards (I was using them for a digital picture frame.)  I found a solution on a different forum.  Reformat your card.  It's probably in FAT format.  I tried both NTFS and FAT32 formats.  NTFS didn't work in my picture frame, but the card in FAT32 works just fine, and I was able to copy all 418 pictures on it.

I'm running Vista on my laptop.  I clicked on the start button lower left corner, then on computer, and then right clicked on the drive reading the CF card.  Then, I clicked format and chose the one I wanted.