Accepted Solution

Error Code: 0x80070052

:smileysad: As I was copying pics from DVD/CD drive I was cruising along, with about 212 pics copied when I started getting this error. Now I cannot get any more pics to load on the SD card.  I have a ScanDisk UltraII 2.GB card and I am running MS Vista. I have a Toshiba Satelitte x205-S7483 laptop.

Does anyone out there have fix for this error?
Thanks!!!

FYI: I already searched Scandisk.com (using the error code number) and did not get a fix. I have NO idea if the problems lies with Windows, a driver, the card or the Vista OS. . .  ANY help would be greatly appreciated. :smileywink:

Re: Error Code: 0x80070052

the error means The directory or file cannot be created.

does this happen only on 1 spicific file?

can you copy other files to the device?

what file system is the cad formatted in? FAT? FAT32?

are you copying all files to the root directory or are you sorting them in folders?

how much capacity is used and how much is free?

the error means The directory or file cannot be created.

does this happen only on 1 spicific file?  I am crusing along, copying files from either a file on my laptop or from CD to the SD card, and after about 300 or so pics (2074KB) I get the error message

can you copy other files to the device? Yes, up until a certain point then I start getting the error message and then I can NO longer copy ANY file type to the card.

what file system is the cad formatted in? FAT? FAT32? FAT

are you copying all files to the root directory or are you sorting them in folders? No sure how to answer this question. Since I dont know what a root directory is, I assume I am NOT doing that.  I am not transfering files by folders, just by individual jpg's.  Here's what I am doing: I open a CD (for example) and highlight the files I want copied. Then drag the files to the SD card. I do this for about 300 or so, pics (I want to get all my photo's on one SD so I can use a Digital Photo Frame). Is there another process/trick to copy all the desired files to one place, then selecting another software program (other than Explorer) (ie. Kodak software, Picasa), to move/copy to SD card?

how much capacity is used and how much is free?
Used space:  81,690,624 bytes  (77.9 MB)
Free space: 1,949,270,016 bytes (1.81GB)
Capacity:  2,030,960,640 bytes (1.89 GB)

I eagerly await any and I mean any suggestions you may have. and I thank you so much for all your help !!! :-)

FAT has a limit of the number of files that can be copied to the root directory. try reformatting into FAT 32. to do this open my computer right click the removable disk and select format. make sure the file system is set to FAT 32. hope it helps.

:smileysad:sadly that did not work either.

Thank you for your help.

:-)

Do you use the card in a camera as well?

Yes.

This is a Vista problem. If you go to th Microsoft site they have a fix posted. I tried to run it but it said that it did not apply to my PC. Here is a link:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936825   good luck

SteveFixThis wrote:
This is a Vista problem. If you go to th Microsoft site they have a fix posted. I tried to run it but it said that it did not apply to my PC. Here is a link:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936825   good luck

Thanks for the link but this really does not address the issue.

The following new features are enabled in this package:
• Support for SD High Capacity (SDHC) cards that are 8 gigabytes (GB) or larger in Windows Vista.
• Support for dual voltage (1.8-volt and 3.3-volt) Secure Digital/MultiMediaCards (SD/MMC) cards in Windows Vista.
• Support for Secure Digital Input Output (SDIO) cards in Windows Vista.

good to know there is a fix for SDHC card larger than 8GB!

Hi There

I had the same problem

It has to do with the number of files in the root directory

Solution: create folders and place your files in these