Accepted Solution

Copying files to/from 8GB card to Mac...transfer freezes part way through.

I have 2 identical 8GB SDHC cards (Ultra II), a USB Micromate reader (the one that came with the 8GB card), and 2 different Macs (Powerbook and G5), both running Tiger 10.4.11.

Copying files from either card just freezes up at some point, on either Macs. It could be a few MB into the transfer, or a few GB...it just stops. I can't quit the copy dialog. I can't relaunch the Finder. All I can do is a hard reboot. Formatting the card doesn't help. The freeze occurs in either direction; copying to/from the card and to/from the computer.

The card mounts fine. I can see the files. The only workaround I've found is to copy small batches of files at a time. It usually chokes on large files, but if I try it enough, eventually it copies over.

2 different cards purchased from 2 different places, 2 different Macs. It seems the only constant here is the Micromate reader. I plan on trying a new reader (the 5-in-1 model), but I thought I'd check here first to see if anyone else has had a similar issue, and/or a solution.

Thanks,

mcdj

p.s. I am inserting the card into the reader before plugging it into the USB port.

Message Edited by mcdj18 on 02-02-2008 09:08 PM

Re: Copying files to/from 8GB card to Mac...transfer freezes part way through.

try to determine if light went off when it stops copying. maybe its a power issue.. try using a self powered hub....

I have just purchased another card reader and the first transfer (400mb .mov file) transferred without a problem. I guess I have a faulty Micromate.

@mcdj18 wrote:
I have just purchased another card reader and the first transfer (400mb .mov file) transferred without a problem. I guess I have a faulty Micromate.
You should contact SanDisk and see if you can use your warranty...

You aren't the only one, I have the exact same problem. Are we the only one's ... and is there anything we can do? I'm running OSX v. 10.4.11, and same exact problem only with a 2 GB Ultra II card. I can load 17 MB or 1.8 GB etc. and then it randomly freezes, effectively killing the finder and forcing a restart of the whole system.

-Brandon