correct alphabetical order

I don’t know if that will be part of the new fuze firmware (due any time, now), but I noticed the other day that French songs are not in their place. My song lists goes from A to Z, than shows “Ça n’finira jamais” that should be in C, and “État de grâce” and “Être un homme”, which should both be in E. Is there any way to correct that?

@flocon wrote:

I don’t know if that will be part of the new fuze firmware (due any time, now), but I noticed the other day that French songs are not in their place. My song lists goes from A to Z, than shows “Ça n’finira jamais” that should be in C, and “État de grâce” and “Être un homme”, which should both be in E. Is there any way to correct that?

I know what you want and have not heard if this will be fixed but as a possible temporary fix, could you jut chqnfe the  Ç to a C and the  É or Ê to an E… Its not Ideal but It could give you the order you want.

Or better yet, the fuze should just support UTF-8 or 16?

@d_headshot wrote:
Or better yet, the fuze should just support UTF-8 or 16?

It supports UTF-16, I use with all of my Greek language mp3’s, and they show up all perfect. 

@conversionbox wrote:

@flocon wrote:

I know what you want and have not heard if this will be fixed but as a possible temporary fix, could you jut chqnfe the  Ç to a C and the  É or Ê to an E… Its not Ideal but It could give you the order you want.

I can hardly call that a fix… Alphabetical order is important in any language. I know it’s not easy to understand for English-speaking people, but part of supporting diacritics is also dealing with that order. And for that matter, Sansa is not alone… (just take a look at wikipedia… http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spécial:Toutes\_les\_pages all É-pages are at the end!!).

Anyway, it É, È, Ê should be considered like an E, and Æ should be considered as AE, even though it’s not supposed to be written that way.

@flocon wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@flocon wrote:

I can hardly call that a fix… Alphabetical order is important in any language. I know it’s not easy to understand for English-speaking people, but part of supporting diacritics is also dealing with that order. And for that matter, Sansa is not alone… (just take a look at wikipedia… http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spécial:Toutes\_les\_pages all É-pages are at the end!!).

Anyway, it É, È, Ê should be considered like an E, and Æ should be considered as AE, even though it’s not supposed to be written that way.

I know its not a fix. I was suggesting that it may get you through until this issue is addressed. I guess I assumed that you know what the songs are called so making the adjustment would not effect your ability to Identify them. But maybe these charicters are more important than I thought.

“Ca” is pronounced “ka” while “Ça” is pronounced “Sa”. Without the diacritics, it’s readable, but we have to think about it, and it’s not as nice. Imagine if all your albums by “The Who” were labelled “The Hoo”!

Anyway, I know everything starting with À, Ç, É, È, Ê, Ô, Â… is at the end, and I can manage. We French and Germans, and Spanish managed to survive through ASCII and ISO-8850-1, we can now survive through wrong order.

I’d just like that to be corrected in one of the next firmwares, or at least know that people are working on that. Like I said, it’s part of supporting foreign languages. :slight_smile:

@flocon wrote:

“Ca” is pronounced “ka” while “Ça” is pronounced “Sa”. Without the diacritics, it’s readable, but we have to think about it, and it’s not as nice. Imagine if all your albums by “The Who” were labelled “The Hoo”!

Anyway, I know everything starting with À, Ç, É, È, Ê, Ô, Â… is at the end, and I can manage. We French and Germans, and Spanish managed to survive through ASCII and ISO-8850-1, we can now survive through wrong order.

I’d just like that to be corrected in one of the next firmwares, or at least know that people are working on that. Like I said, it’s part of supporting foreign languages. :slight_smile:

I did not know that about the “Ca” and “Ça”… The only french I know are songs my old band covered from groups like Plastic Bertrand, and I learned those by listening. So I learned something today. You may think about messaging SansaFix about this so it can be put on the list of things to be worked on for the next upgrade.

@conversionbox wrote:

You may think about messaging SansaFix about this so it can be put on the list of things to be worked on for the next upgrade.

But by posting it here in the Product Feature Suggestions board, it can be discussed by others as well, showing support (or not) for the feature. Although I’ve never seen Sansafix reply in this board, I would hope he, and others at SanDisk stop by, at least occasionally. They’re the ones who created this board, and exactly for suggestions like this; how to make their product better.

To ask for suggestions and then not read them is silly and short-minded. They have been very responsive to ‘non-English’ language edits before, as far as interpretation errors & correcting them. This though, may be a bit trickier with the ‘non-English standard’ characters.

I agree whole-heartedly though, that if you are going to sell your product globally, you should also have the proper respect for different people’s native language and make sure that it is supported and correct in both spelling and grammar. To do less is insulting to the people you expect to buy and recommend your product to others.

@tapeworm wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

You may think about messaging SansaFix about this so it can be put on the list of things to be worked on for the next upgrade.

But by posting it here in the Product Feature Suggestions board, it can be discussed by others as well, showing support (or not) for the feature. Although I’ve never seen Sansafix reply in this board, I would hope he, and others at SanDisk stop by, at least occasionally. They’re the ones who created this board, and exactly for suggestions like this; how to make their product better.

To ask for suggestions and then not read them is silly and short-minded. They have been very responsive to ‘non-English’ language edits before, as far as interpretation errors & correcting them. This though, may be a bit trickier with the ‘non-English standard’ characters.

I agree whole-heartedly though, that if you are going to sell your product globally, you should also have the proper respect for different people’s native language and make sure that it is supported and correct in both spelling and grammar. To do less is insulting to the people you expect to buy and recommend your product to others.

I agree but It cant hurt to tell them directly so they know its out there. I also saw a thread where there was a mis-translation. Its something they should at least check into, and telling the guy who would do it is what I would call the way to do it.

I’ve been thinking very hard on examples to prove that diacritics matter :stuck_out_tongue: Simple one: “ou” means “or” while “où” means “where”. Also “marche” (feminine word) means “step” (of a stair), while “marché” (masculine word) means “market”. so without diacritics, you have no idea what “les marches” means (it’s a plural, the same for masculine or feminine words).

Anyway, I sent a email to sansafix, but his response was very strange (“I got this one as well”, followed by a copy of my message).

A few months ago, I sent an email to sansa support, telling them about a mistranslation, and proposing them a few alternatives. I received a not-automated answer, but that was not taken into account, and the mistranslation is still here in the new firmware. In the system info, Power (the battery status) was translated “Marche/Arrêt”, which can only be translated back as On/Off!

Sometimes I wonder if the sansa team ever take into account what we ask, or if they only work on what they think we want?

I still haven’t heard anything on that matter… Will it be considered in next firmware?