What I'd really like to see in the next firmware update.

Here are several things that make the Fuze better.

1. WMV video support.
  2. Photo zooming.*
  3. The ability to look at photos, watch videos, & listen to music while voice recording.*
  4. The option to automatically split voice recordings at a specified amount of time.
  5. The ability to voice record in stereo (If possible).
  6. Line-in support (If possible).
  7. The ability to record in FLAC*, WMA, MP3, & OGG.  That way I don’t have to empty my mp3 player everyday.
  8. The ability to use the Fuze while connected to a computer by pressing the power slider.  (Make the drive read-only on the computer)  Press the power slider again to put the Fuze back into transfer mode.*
  9. The ability to use the equalizer while watching videos & listening to voice recordings.*
  10. Anti-aliased fonts (Like the iPod).
  11. Fix the clock by getting rid of the 1st zero (3:30 PM instead of 03:30 PM).
    * = Really important
    Message Edited by UltraCody on 03-27-2009 08:26 AM

Most of the items on your ‘wish’ list are just not possible given the limited resources available. You’re talking some pretty sophisiticated and technologically complicated stuff there. Now maybe if you wanted a player 2 -3 times the size and were willing to pay 2 - 3 times the price (or more), then it’s certainly possible.

But you won’t see these things added as just a firmware upgrade for the current model. It would require designing a whole new player, with a completely different processor & hardware, as well as a completely different firmware written specifically for it. And of course, this could happen . . . just as soon as you convince about 2 -3 million of your closest friends to also want all of these features in a single device, so that it would be worthwhile to SanDisk to produce such a device.

And your last suggestion concerning the clock? Many parts of the world use a 24-hour clock (as well as our US military folks), so that is the reason for the leading zero ‘0’ in the hour before noon.

Most of the items on your ‘wish’ list are just not possible given the limited resources available. You’re talking some pretty sophisiticated and technologically complicated stuff there. Now maybe if you wanted a player 2 -3 times the size and were willing to pay 2 - 3 times the price (or more), then it’s certainly possible.

But you won’t see these things added as just a firmware upgrade for the current model. It would require designing a whole new player, with a completely different processor & hardware, as well as a completely different firmware written specifically for it.

And of course, this could happen . . . just as soon as you convince about 4 -5 million of your closest friends to also want all of these features in a single device, so that it would be worthwhile for SanDisk to produce it and turn a profit.

And your last suggestion concerning the clock? Many parts of the world use a 24-hour clock (as well as our US military folks), so that is the reason for the leading zero ‘0’ in the hour before noon.

@tapeworm wrote:

It’s 13:27 as I type this :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

Most of the items on your ‘wish’ list are just not possible given the limited resources available. You’re talking some pretty sophisiticated and technologically complicated stuff there. 

Can you be a little more specific?  Which items on my wish list do you think are impossible?

BTW, if Rockbox can support MP3 recording, File Splitting, Stereo Voice Recording, etc on the older Sansa e200 series (Which it does), then the Fuze should be able to support those features too.

Here’s a screenshot that I created in Fireworks CS4 showing the ability to do things while recording.

@ultracody wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Most of the items on your ‘wish’ list are just not possible given the limited resources available. You’re talking some pretty sophisiticated and technologically complicated stuff there. 

Can you be a little more specific?  Which items on my wish list do you think are impossible?

BTW, if Rockbox can support MP3 recording, File Splitting, Stereo Voice Recording, etc on the older Sansa e200 series (Which it does), then the Fuze should be able to support those features too.

Here’s a screenshot that I created in Fireworks CS4 showing the ability to do things while recording.

Photo zooming.*

Hardware issues

1. Line-in support (If possible).
  2. The ability to record in FLAC*, WMA, MP3, & OGG.  That way I don’t have to empty my mp3 player everyday.
  3. The ability to use the Fuze while connected to a computer by pressing the power slider.  (Make the drive read-only on the computer)  Press the power slider again to put the Fuze back into transfer mode.*

To be real honest even the ideas that seem possible because past sansas could do them may be impossible, due to hardware limitations. I do believe that Photo zooming should be do able but that it would take forever to implement.

@conversionbox wrote:

@ultracody wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Photo zooming.*

Hardware issues

2. The ability to record in FLAC*, WMA, MP3, & OGG.  That way I don’t have to empty my mp3 player everyday.
  3. The ability to use the Fuze while connected to a computer by pressing the power slider.  (Make the drive read-only on the computer)  Press the power slider again to put the Fuze back into transfer mode.*

To be real honest even the ideas that seem possible because past sansas could do them may be impossible, due to hardware limitations. I do believe that Photo zooming should be do able but that it would take forever to implement.

Are you saying that the Fuze hardware is more limited than the older e200 Series?  That’s bullcrap!  Why would Sandisk introduce a new, crappier model of an older product?  I thought the Sansa Fuze was supposed to better than the older e200 Series.  Technology is supposed to evolve, not devolve.  If the Sansa e200 Series is capable of recording in compressed formats via firmware upgrades, then the Sansa Fuze should be able to do that too.  I can handle the fact that the Sansa Fuze will probably never be able to record line-in, but the ability to record in compressed audio, the ability to use the device while recording, and the ability to use it while charging should be possible.

I use the voice recorder to record what happens in my life so I don’t have to keep up with a journal.  I’d really like to be able to listen to music or watch videos while recording since something cool or important could happen while I’m listening to music or watching videos and I could miss it.  I also want to be able to voice record while the Fuze is charging.  I could press the power slider to set it to transfer mode and press it again to use the Fuze.

@ultracody wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@ultracody wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Photo zooming.*

Hardware issues

Are you saying that the Fuze hardware is more limited than the older e200 Series?  That’s bullcrap!  Why would Sandisk introduce a new, crappier model of an older product?  I thought the Sansa Fuze was supposed to better than the older e200 Series.  Technology is supposed to evolve, not devolve.  If the Sansa e200 Series is capable of recording in compressed formats via firmware upgrades, then the Sansa Fuze should be able to do that too.  I can handle the fact that the Sansa Fuze will probably never be able to record line-in, but the ability to record in compressed audio, the ability to use the device while recording, and the ability to use it while charging should be possible.

I use the voice recorder to record what happens in my life so I don’t have to keep up with a journal.  I’d really like to be able to listen to music or watch videos while recording since something cool or important could happen while I’m listening to music or watching videos and I could miss it.  I also want to be able to voice record while the Fuze is charging.  I could press the power slider to set it to transfer mode and press it again to use the Fuze.

That was actually a Mistake on my part… Meant to take that one out. If the old ones can do it the new ones should too. Recording while charging is possible, if you are not using a PC to charge.  I doubt you will see recording while playing just becuase that would probably stretch the hardware.

@ultracody wrote:

Here are several things that make the Fuze better.

1. WMV video support.
  2. Photo zooming.*
  3. The ability to look at photos, watch videos, & listen to music while voice recording.*
  4. The option to automatically split voice recordings at a specified amount of time.
  5. The ability to voice record in stereo (If possible).
  6. Line-in support (If possible).
  7. The ability to record in FLAC*, WMA, MP3, & OGG.  That way I don’t have to empty my mp3 player everyday.
  8. The ability to use the Fuze while connected to a computer by pressing the power slider.  (Make the drive read-only on the computer)  Press the power slider again to put the Fuze back into transfer mode.*
  9. The ability to use the equalizer while watching videos & listening to voice recordings.*
  10. Anti-aliased fonts (Like the iPod).
  11. Fix the clock by getting rid of the 1st zero (3:30 PM instead of 03:30 PM).
    * = Really important
    Message Edited by UltraCody on 03-27-2009 08:26 AM

Voice record in stereo?  Adding a stereo microphone via a firmware update would be REAL good trick!  Ditto with line input.  

Recording in proprietary formats would mean license fees.  It’s not reasonable to ask Sansa to swallow that on a free update. 

Message Edited by donp on 04-07-2009 01:06 PM

donp wrote: 

Recording in proprietary formats would mean license fees.  It’s not reasonable to ask Sansa to swallow that on a free update.  

Message Edited by donp on 04-07-2009 01:06 PM

FLAC & OGG are both open source.

If you don’t believe me, check these websites:

http://www.vorbis.com/  
http://flac.sourceforge.net/

I don’t really care about WMA & MP3 as much.  I just want to be able to record in FLAC and/or OGG.

PS:  It’d also be nice if the Fuze supported Xvid videos.

Message Edited by UltraCody on 04-07-2009 07:11 PM

UltraCody wrote: 

FLAC & OGG are both open source.

If you don’t believe me, check these websites:

I don’t know what makes them technically viable or not to encode on a player, but I’ve never had one that recorded to either vorbis or FLAC, even though 2 of them have open source firmware.

My Rockboxed Sansa uses Wavepack for lossless encoding. My understanding is Wavepack does not need floating point arithmetic, maybe that’s why.

Message Edited by donp on 04-07-2009 05:31 PM

@conversionbox wrote:

That was actually a Mistake on my part… Meant to take that one out. If the old ones can do it the new ones should too. Recording while charging is possible, if you are not using a PC to charge.  I doubt you will see recording while playing just becuase that would probably stretch the hardware.

Probably not helpful as it removes the ability to connect, but if you have an extra cable or don’t need to write to the player very often, take a small piece of scotch tape and put it over the two center connectors in the computer end of the usb cable.  Your PC will now charge the player but not communicate with it.

That said, I do agree that the ability to *use* the player while connected to a PC should be an option.

My requests would be (in order of my interest)

1-support for video formats other than what comes out of SMC

2-selectable scrolling of what scrolls when song is playing (I’d usually only choose to scroll only song title)

I would really like to see the Fuze properly interpret FLAC files with embedded CUE sheets. Of course it can play the files at present - just that the user can’t skip between tracks in the file using the seek points in the CUE sheet.

i want something relatively simple for sansa view

1. a dark theme maybe black background white letters and blue-ish for selection

going deeper

1. when navigating in music > albums to play one album after another instead of stopping playback and going  back to home menu music 

or in other words play all tracks sorted by album  not alphabetical or by artist

1. instead of the title of the album show only cover art in albums menu or both

2. gapless playback between the tracks 

3. less freezing maybe when navigating from one track to another

thanks in advance 

alex

Message Edited by alexteq on 07-04-2009 06:36 PM

@alexteq wrote:

i want something relatively simple for sansa view

thanks in advance 

alex

Message Edited by alexteq on 07-04-2009 06:36 PM

Sorry to say, but they haven’t done a firmware update in a year or so for the View…so there most likely will not be any more of them.

Heh, I just said basically the same thing in response to his post on the View board.

@gwk1967 wrote:
Heh, I just said basically the same thing in response to his post on the View board.

I gave up on reading over there…it’s a bummer.:cry:

I look at Off Topic, Site Suggestions, Product Suggestions , Sansa Accessories, Fuze, Clip, and FAQ/Announcements. And on the rare occasion something pops up on the Slot boards I look.

ALARM CLOCK FEATURE.

Glad the “sleep” feature was added, but sure would be nice to

add an ALARM CLOCK function.    I have this on my old Cowon 

G2 (w/AA batt) & it’s a great feature.  

Please?

For the last few weeks, I am facing a problem and the solution to the problem, I have got in this thread. Actually I am searching for it and after exploring so many pages I found this suggestion. When I saw this page and then I used to just click on this thread for getting the solution. So thank you so much for this thread. :smiley: