Sansa Clip Wish List

I was wondering if any of the data provided by radio stations about songs and what not could be used by the clip. Since I’m not sure what hardware and software is required to do it, does anyone know if the clip has the resources to use the data.

Link to a Wikipedia article I think has something to do with the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

Think this would be a useful feature if it were possible to implement it? Knowing the station name or song being played would be an awesome feature for this tiny powerhouse.

Wishlist:
0) Am radio ( who listens to Fm anymore?)

1. Lower initial volume step
  2. FM and Voice recording as MP3 (not sure of the horsepower of mr. cpu)
  3. Turn off OLED when charging
  4. Turn on OLED briefly during track changes (option in settings)
  5. Make a 4/8GB model when cost effective
  6. Play list when synced via MSC: if I create 10 folders with 10 songs in each I want to see 10 groups in the menu.
  7. Group/Folder repeat.
    Not too much under my tree huh?
  8. Auto Shutdown of clip when idle. (i forgot to close my clip a couple of the times after charging)
  9. Clip attached from the side. (this way, the clip won’t detach when pulling it out without pressing the clip)
  10. A FREE UPGRADE TO NEW CLIPS IF EXPANSION SLOT IS EVER INTRODUCED
  1. I wish, in one of your future firmware updates, you include somekind of an power-saving option where the screen and more importantly the almost blinding useless circular light does not turn on during volume changing or skipping tracks – which is a frequent operation in the gym etc (for which this player is extremely well suited). Otherwise this product rocks!  Atleast there is no need for the circular light.

2. Some kind of smart volume?

bookmarks

1)  bookmarks for any file type… my wife has a zen v plus (2gb). she can make up to 10 bookmarks… this is a big deal, yet so simple…
2)  enable adding to the on-the-go list when viewing the song list.  and not just while playing song…
3)  display elapsed track time along with total track time, like 00:35/04:23. Remove the progress bar to make room for this configuration.   The option of this display configuration or the current default configuration of progress bar and elapsed track time should be user-selectible in the settings.

Message Edited by amkoas on 01-05-2008 05:11 PM

Non-repeating shuffle mode where no song repeats until they’ve all played once.  

Hello!

Just joined this forum, although I’ve been reading here for a while; it’s what convinced me to get a Clip in the first place!  Great little product, but since there is opportunity for improvement, here are my suggestions:

1) “Shuffle Play” when “Play All Songs” engaged should be modified to:
        a) when possible, not play songs by either the same album or artist back to back
        b) have a “lookup table” so that previously played songs since the last database refresh are not played more than once, and that the << button allow us to go back to those songs vice spooling up the next random song.   Spooling up the next random song is what the >> should do in that context.  Also make it possible to download the table, including the order of songs played, to the computer - some of these shuffles are playlists I’d like to be able to repeat!

2) Turn off OLED display when Clip is attached to the computer, except when a button is pushed to activate the display timer.  That way, battery charge status can be checked without burning out the screen unnecessarily.

3) Be able to display “time remaining” of a song, or album when “Album Mode” is selected.

4) I note that when both the artist name and song title are too long to fit on the screen, only the artist name scrolls.  Make it that both scroll, or that hitting the “select” button changes which one scrolls.

5) I’d like to echo other folk’s requests, such as:

- gapless playback
        - OGG, FLAC support
        - better on-the-fly playlist creation
        - File/folder browsing
        - Pan/balance
        - FFWD/REW with sound - and adjustable FFWD/REW speed
        - Keep the tracks’ play count in the database/tags(?) - like Cowon, Creative, or Zune players

But overall, a superb product!  I look forward to downloading FW 1.01.19 with all these features incorporated!  ;-)

Also, for future products, it might be too much to ask if a Clip could be outfitted with swappable SD microchip capability, but I certainly hope that the improved audio quality of the Clip makes it’s way into ALL your players, and that they accommodate micro SD’s.

MG-bert

Best player for the price out there right now. if I were to make some requests for features they would be the following:

1: selectable record quality, low or high, A one hour lecture took almost 200mb or thereabouts.

2: an espresso machine attachment.

Seriously though, I have zero complaints and love the product AS-IS. Excellent job updating the firmware to address certain issues, but I would consider the product perfect for the price already.

Cheers,

Mike

I agree strongly with the OLED display timeout while sitting idle and charging.

The scrolling text should be faster.  Often, longer title information requres waking up the display.

Bob

Display the bands and setting for each band, for the EQ presets (as with the Custom setting).

folder-based navigation… as opposed to the artist/album/track now

thank you sandisk for keeping up with all this… you guys are awesome

Miikerman touched on an interesting point: the EQ display is visible only for “custom”. 

The yellow band display shows “Custom EQ” while the “sliders” are in the blue section. For all others (presets), the display is a menu only. 

I think SanDisk opted to minimize confusion during the EQ mode.  Note the “nav right” arrows available in all EQ menu choices.  If the user presses the right button, in anything but “custom” that choice is held, and we are moved to the “equalizer” option within “settings”.

If “custom” is selected, a press of the “right” button moves us to the graphic EQ “sliders”, and the left/right navigation buttons will select a slider (band) while up/down will move the slider.  The “hint” to the user, on what to do next, is the pointer below each slider.  Pressing the center button finishes the selection, as will the “home” button.

If we try to navigate forward, or right, in any of the presets, we’re bumped back.  Perhaps, in the future, a right press will yield a display of the preset settings (the sliders could look narrower, denoting a difference from the “custom” ones).  Maybe if the up/down button is pressed while at this point, the yellow portion will show the preset names as the user scrolls between the choices, with the “custom” ones looking different- meaning user adjustable.

At least we have an EQ option!  I am happy for that.  I like the “jazz” preset personally…

Bob

The ability to name each radio preset.

Move FM menu item “View All Presets” to top of menu to alleviate accidental “Delete” or “Auto Presets”

I’m new with MP3 players; the Sansa Clip is my first, and is very impressive except for the lack of bookmarks. I just downloaded Moby **bleep** from netlibrary and find that I can’t fast forward to chapter 86, (which is the place where I am at with the 17 cd version I need to return to the library). The downloaded netlibrary file is about 280MB and I cannot determine anyway to jump to a bookmark or fastforward. 

Ideally, I’d like to have a bookmark set so that I would never have to re-listen to more than about 3 minutes of audio book recitation.  

What I would like to see:

• Slower scrolling-through-albums/artists-list (do I gather from the first post that the speed has actually been INcreased at some point?)

• Continue with next album/artist/genre when reaching the end of the currently playing selection, instead of stopping. This could be a selectable option?
    Thanks for your attention!

I think the option to switch artist/album/genre with one button would make Clip an ultimate Zen Stone Plus killer (almost everything else was solved in 01.01.20a firmware). I see it this way: SanDisk guys add an additional item in “Press and hold” submenu conerning switching between either artist or album (there must be an option for the user how to navigate), and as a result we can pass to the artist/album we want within just one long stroke to the central button. What do you think about that? And by the way, it would partly solve the “ID3-only management” problem.

PS please, please, please, add a “Clock” feature! there’s enough unused space at the OLED display.

PSS Clip the best =)

Hi!

Just bought the 2Gb clip, and guys at work already going to buy to themselves :smiley:. Great device.

• Turning the OLED display off while connected to PC. I understand it will be implemented in the next firmware update. I believe you guys thought about that, but if not … I suggest that the blue LED under the round button will be turned on, and blink during data transfer.
  • In shuffle mode - please remember at least the previous song. Optimally remember the whole list.
  • Slow down vertical scroll in artists/songs list - it is impossible to read while scrolling
  • Add an option to see the remaining/total composition time.

Thanks a lot for the upcoming bookmarking feature and prompt responces.

Message Edited by clip_newbie on 04-02-2008 11:48 AM

Hello, I just bought a 2GB Clip and without a doubt the #1 feature I’d like to see is play count/last played date sync.  I really like the Clip otherwise but I’m worried I may not be able to deal with the lack of that feature, I’ve developed a somewhat unhealthy over-reliance on it…

I would second the motion for AM radio. 

I really don’t listen to FM radio on the Clip.  Why would I?  Everything I would want to hear has been downloaded to my clip.

- File and folder browsing and the ability to play by folder!

- AM radio!

- Better way to “zap” through radio stations!

- Sound balance adjustment.

- Ability to save some custom equalizer setups.

- More options for what to show while playing, like time remaining

- When battery is low and it starts showing battery low message on the screen, it should last so long and should freeze up the player while showing it.

Message Edited by oggologgo on 06-26-2008 02:54 PM