Players with more than one card slot?

Why doesn’t Sandisk make some players with 2 or 4 micro SDXC card slots? Why do those who want a player with at least 128GB of storage need to buy a player with a hard drive?

Preaching to the choir, brother. :wink: And I’d like to see a $100-$150 (or even above) 128GB solid state memory UberClip–possible financially nowadays, now that the price of 32 GB microSD cards has come down. And certainly for a memory manufacturer like SanDisk–no middleperson costs. (Can you imagine the throngs of people who would buy such a player? There just ain’t no comparison out there, apart from hard-drive based players–the iPod and some Archos models.)

SanDisk has actually played with the concept of offering a player with removable media only, even multiple ports.  The first card would function as the base memory.

The idea has some merit, as a lower-cost device can be customized to the desired base capacity, with the second port available for further expansion, or a handy SlotMusic / SlotRadio card.

I am a bit more traditional, preferring that the player have resident NAND memory for the firmware, music database, and more direct (much faster) access times.  The machine makes lore sense with a hard-wired base memory.  It sure is better in terms of reliability, as the requisite controller and data transfer have to be fed through that 4-pin connection.  The Shaker and slotMusic devices have no internal memory, come to think of it.

If the parsing and database issues can be streamlined sufficiently, as these cards are growing more voluminous by the day, it makes sense.  Time will tell…

Stuffing that much capacity in something as small as the Clip doesn’t make sense to me…with that much capacity, we only have a day’s worth of juice available in a very small battery.  Perhaps something like the e200’s size (and removable battery) would be better.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@miikerman wrote:
Preaching to the choir, brother. :wink: And I’d like to see a $100-$150 (or even above) 128GB solid state memory UberClip–possible financially nowadays, now that the price of 32 GB microSD cards has come down. And certainly for a memory manufacturer like SanDisk–no middleperson costs. (Can you imagine the throngs of people who would buy such a player? There just ain’t no comparison out there, apart from hard-drive based players–the iPod and some Archos models.)

There is also the Cowon X7…160GB, but it’s a little bit larger device.

I am thinking about something the size of a Fuze but  perhaps slightly thicker if necessary if it could have 4 micro SDHC card slots. I guess they might want to  first come out with a model with 2 card slots.

Two slots is doable. Four slots? We’ll have flying cars in every driveway first, I think.

@gwk1967 wrote:

Two slots is doable. Four slots? We’ll have flying cars in every driveway first, I think.

Personally, I think we’ll see them before we ever see a player with even 2 card slots.

Time to make the next Clip 25% thicker, and 25% longer, increasing battery life to 30+ hours, and adding a second card slot.

@jk98 wrote:

Time to make the next Clip 25% thicker, and 25% longer, increasing battery life to 30+ hours, and adding a second card slot.

Absolutely, positively not!

The next Fuze, maybe, but the Clip does not need to get any bigger. Besides, the next generation of players should theoretically be compatible with the microsdxc cards, so there’s no need for multiple card slots.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Absolutely, positively not!

The next Fuze, maybe, but the Clip does not need to get any bigger. Besides, the next generation of players should theoretically be compatible with the microsdxc cards, so there’s no need for multiple card slots.

I don’t fully understand JK's desire for multiple card slots, but I’m pretty sure it’s not just about capacity.

Having two card slots would let me have one card in the player with music, and another card with podcasts.

Micro SDXC cards are only available with 64GB, so those who want at least 128GB of storage will want two in player(even if internal memory could be raised to 64GB). At $220 though, I don’t see many people rushing to buy a 64GB micro SDXC card. Yes, I could carry two Clip+ players instead of waiting for one with 2 card slots.

I guess using 2 players I could have one with rock music, and the other with classical music and podcasts. I guess having 2 card slots would be much more useful in a player with longer battery life and a larger screen.

Still no players with more than one card slot? Is it so hard to make one? There are some who want a player with 4 card slots, although even a player with just two card slots would please many. It seems like mp3 player development died around 3 or 4 years ago, and there aren’t any new player better than the Clip+ or Fuze for under $100. I guess many companies would rather sell media players that are $150+ or phones that are priced even higher than that instead of selling $50 or $75 mp3 players.

@jk98 wrote:

I guess many companies would rather sell media players that are $150+ or more or phones that are priced even higher than that instead of selling $50 or $75 mp3 players.

I think you’ve stumbled across something there…:wink:

@jk98 wrote:

Still no players with more than one card slot? Is it so hard to make one? _ There are some who want a player with 4 card slots _, although even a player with just two card slots would please many.

That’s just ridiculous. In fact, just 2 card slots may be technologically unfeasible which is probably why there aren’t any. And with the larger memory-sized cards now available, more than one card slot is probably considered redundant.

Tapeworm wrote:

JK98 wrote:

Still no players with more than one card slot? Is it so hard to make one? There are some who want a player with 4 card slots, although even a player with just two card slots would please many.

That’s just ridiculous. In fact, just 2 card slots may be technologically unfeasible which is probably why there aren’t any. And with the larger memory-sized cards now available, more than one card slot is probably considered redundant.

heh…I missed that bit about the 4 card slots when I replied in the middle of the night. I could maybe see the 2 slot idea, but the thought of 4 slots is just 

Why is having 4 card slots so crazy? There are those who have old players with a 160Gb or 250GB hard drive and who want to switch to a flash memory based player. I would lke a player with  2 card slots so I could have one card with podcasts and one with music. It would be nice to have more than 2 card slots though, so I could have a card with classical music, and a separate card with rock music.

@jk98 wrote:

I would lke a player with  2 card slots so I could have one card with podcasts and one with music. It would be nice to have more than 2 card slots though, so I could have a card with classical music, and a separate card with rock music.

So it’s not some people who would like 4 card slots as you said earlier, it’s _ one _ . . . you. I had a feeling that was the case.

Don’t you think that if multiple card slots were economically & technologically feasible _ and _ profitably marketable, some company would have already created such a device?

@tapeworm wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

I would lke a player with  2 card slots so I could have one card with podcasts and one with music. It would be nice to have more than 2 card slots though, so I could have a card with classical music, and a separate card with rock music.

So it’s not some people who would like 4 card slots as you said earlier, it’s one . . . you. I had a feeling that was the case.

Don’t you think that if multiple card slots were economically & technologically feasible and profitably marketable, some company would have already created such a device?

Don’t forget, common sense is an oxymoron! :laughing:

@jk98 wrote:

Why is having 4 card slots so crazy? There are those who have old players with a 160Gb or 250GB hard drive and who want to switch to a flash memory based player.

There are also those with relatively new 160GB players who are happy with them! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that companies often overlook alot that is feasible and marketable, unfortunately, until 1 company doesn’t and then there can be a feeding frenzy on the concept.  Apple has been a king at this.

Such as, a solid-state jukebox player–why not a 128GB Clip Ultra?  Ypu can be sure that as soon as Apple does it, others likely will.