Players with more than one card slot?

Tapeworm wrote:

JK98 wrote:

Still no players with more than one card slot? Is it so hard to make one? There are some who want a player with 4 card slots, although even a player with just two card slots would please many.

That’s just ridiculous. In fact, just 2 card slots may be technologically unfeasible which is probably why there aren’t any. And with the larger memory-sized cards now available, more than one card slot is probably considered redundant.

heh…I missed that bit about the 4 card slots when I replied in the middle of the night. I could maybe see the 2 slot idea, but the thought of 4 slots is just 

Why is having 4 card slots so crazy? There are those who have old players with a 160Gb or 250GB hard drive and who want to switch to a flash memory based player. I would lke a player with  2 card slots so I could have one card with podcasts and one with music. It would be nice to have more than 2 card slots though, so I could have a card with classical music, and a separate card with rock music.

@jk98 wrote:

I would lke a player with  2 card slots so I could have one card with podcasts and one with music. It would be nice to have more than 2 card slots though, so I could have a card with classical music, and a separate card with rock music.

So it’s not some people who would like 4 card slots as you said earlier, it’s _ one _ . . . you. I had a feeling that was the case.

Don’t you think that if multiple card slots were economically & technologically feasible _ and _ profitably marketable, some company would have already created such a device?

@tapeworm wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

I would lke a player with  2 card slots so I could have one card with podcasts and one with music. It would be nice to have more than 2 card slots though, so I could have a card with classical music, and a separate card with rock music.

So it’s not some people who would like 4 card slots as you said earlier, it’s one . . . you. I had a feeling that was the case.

Don’t you think that if multiple card slots were economically & technologically feasible and profitably marketable, some company would have already created such a device?

Don’t forget, common sense is an oxymoron! :laughing:

@jk98 wrote:

Why is having 4 card slots so crazy? There are those who have old players with a 160Gb or 250GB hard drive and who want to switch to a flash memory based player.

There are also those with relatively new 160GB players who are happy with them! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that companies often overlook alot that is feasible and marketable, unfortunately, until 1 company doesn’t and then there can be a feeding frenzy on the concept.  Apple has been a king at this.

Such as, a solid-state jukebox player–why not a 128GB Clip Ultra?  Ypu can be sure that as soon as Apple does it, others likely will.

@tapeworm wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

So it’s not some people who would like 4 card slots as you said earlier, it’s _ one _ . . . you. I had a feeling that was the case.

Don’t you think that if multiple card slots were economically & technologically feasible _ and _ profitably marketable, some company would have already created such a device?

I think that companies often overlook alot that is feasible and marketable, unfortunately, until 1 company doesn’t and then there can be a feeding frenzy on the concept.  Apple has been a king at this.

Such as, a solid-state jukebox player–why not a 128GB Clip Ultra?  You can be sure that as soon as Apple does it, others likely will.

Many player makers are so obsessed with having thin anorexic players that skimp on battery life just to be a bit thinner. They may also be thinking about skimping on card slots just to be a bit thinner. Imo function is so much more important than form. It is worth having a bit more thickness to have much greater battery life and more than one card slot, as long as the player will still fit in a standard shirt pocket.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Don’t forget, common sense is an oxymoron! :laughing:

Sadly, common sense isn’t all that common anymore. :cry:

The only real advantage with multiple slots, that I can see, is to take advantage of the lower relative cost of lesser capacity microSD cards. However, prices really have come down on cards, with 64GB cards being readily achievable nowadays. And so I’m not quite convinced of the need for multi-slot players. However, perhaps this would be a way of getting an SSD jukebox player when the manfs. have refused to bring one out (it also prevents the obsolescence of the memory in a player, by instead relying on the removable cards which then can be used with other devices and with future releases). But, ah, is any manf. out there even listening . . . . :frowning:

More slots means a greater maximum capacity.

@jk98 wrote:

Yep, why I wrote, “perhaps this would be a way of getting an SSD jukebox player when the manfs. have refused to bring one out . . . .”

@jk98 wrote:

Which does SanDisk no good  since their developers haven’t figured out how to manage larger database numbers…lol.

For example, with Rockbox you could load up a 64GB card with 64kbps mp3’s  and still have database functionality in addition to folder browsing. No 8,000 song limitation there!

It is odd, isn’t it?  Presumably, the SanDisk engineers could update the Clip database management system to current norms/standards easily enough (or so, one would think–but I’m no engineer).  One can’t help but feel that, it simply needs some attention. 

@jk98 wrote:

Sounds like a high class hooker’s marketing strategy.

@tapeworm wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

Sounds like a high class hooker’s marketing strategy.

We’re Sansa owners…we can’t afford hookers! :laughing:

Sure we can afford the little extras in life: look at all the money we’ve saved by buying SanDisk Clips over i and e players . . . . :wink:

I’m frustrated. I still haven’t found any players under $100 that are better than my Clip+ or Fuze. Perhaps I may end up buying a player with a large screen and android, even though I don’t really need something so advanced. Even these players though still don’t have more than one card slot. Hopefully players with more than one card slot, 40+ hour battery life, and HD radio will become available for under $100 within the next year or two. Having GPS on a player would be fun, as long as it doesn’t substantially increase the price.

My Rockboxed Clip Zip is a bit better than the Clip+. I’m still waiting for longer battery life, HD radio, and a second card slot.

Only player I know of with a second card slot is this one…

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK120-Dual-DAC-Mastering/dp/B00D648BDA

And there is no way in hell I would buy it.