Moderators

I think this site could really use more moderators.  The signal to noise ratio here can be quite poor, especially in popular threads like the Sansa Fuse Firmware Update discussion.

I understand that owing to my small post count, I appear to be a relative noob.  But I know what good content management looks like, I’ve been running boards from BBSs in the 90s to wikis in the present day.  And, I’ve read nearly 1500 messages here in the last 4 days.  Take my word, the place needs more threads moved to their proper place.

I’m happy to help. Keep me on a short leash if it makes you feel better.  But whether it’s me or some other users here, there’s work to do.  And no one should have to wade through piles of short, cheap, post-count-building messages or well-intentioned inquiries in the wrong thread just to find the information they’re looking for.

Cheers.

Hello dogoti,

Welcome to the Sansa Community and thank you for your comments and suggestions. Please be aware we are moderating posts as efficiently as we can given our resources. We are scouting for new mods however we would like to ask you to spend a little time here and offer some assistance to other users so we can make a decision as to what kind of moderator a user would be.  Someone with your experience should know that personal attacks and insults are not useful when trying to get your point across. I am going to leave this thread open for now, however it will need to remain on topic and not become a mud slinging contest. I will be watching this thread closely and it will be locked if needed.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 04-05-2009 02:20 PM

@dogoti wrote:

I think this site could really use more moderators.  The signal to noise ratio here can be quite poor, especially in popular threads like the Sansa Fuse Firmware Update discussion.

I understand that owing to my small post count, I appear to be a relative noob.  But I know what good content management looks like, I’ve been running boards from BBSs in the 90s to wikis in the present day.  And, I’ve read nearly 1500 messages here in the last 4 days.  Take my word, the place needs more threads moved to their proper place.

I’m happy to help. Keep me on a short leash if it makes you feel better.  But whether it’s me or some other users here, there’s work to do.  And no one should have to wade through piles of short, cheap, post-count-building messages or well-intentioned inquiries in the wrong thread just to find the information they’re looking for.

Cheers.

Dogoti we have a very good mod on here called Microsansa. He does his best, but there are tons of posts on here and its nearly impossible to keep up. Even for those of us who are hear to help, its hard to keep up. With regard to the Fuze update thread… That one has gotten a bit out of hand, but in the defense of the people over there. We were due a firmware on Tuesday, so many sat on here all day waiting, getting bored an posting. It was all good natured. I like to open this site up when I sit down at my desk everymorning, and then go on with my day keeping this site in the background and then pop in when I get a second. I spend lots of time on here, and With the exception of a few flames, and some spam, this is a good forum. It has its flaws but what forum doesnt? I think if the rules were a bit more inforced and people were forced to use the search feature, and people would just post on the right board we would be fine.

Sheesh, some people think they know everything and that everyone should conform to their superior ways. For your information, Know-it-all, anything and everything of substance to be known about the current Fuze firmware is in that thread well before the last few pages. The thread itself is going to be retired as soon as the new firmware is released any moment now.

But all that doesn’t matter, because purity concern troll Know-it-all wants to rap knuckles, take names and restore ‘order’ so that poor schlubs who are incapable of using the Search function won’t have to naturally select themselves into “wading” through short, only slighty off topic posts at the end of a soon to be closed thread. Look, most threads are less than one page. It’s rare that a thread goes more than 3 or 4 pages. The Search function works. The site is extemely usable for its intended purpose.

Finally, Know-it-all, you might want to consider that the very people you want to regulate – the people who are on the board at least semi-regularly – are the people most likely to providing user support answers to the noobies who come looking for help. Instead of coming in from on high telling them how to behave, perhaps you should consider offering a simple Thank You.

/rant 

@robisan wrote:

Sheesh, some people think they know everything and that everyone should conform to their superior ways. For your information, Know-it-all,

I hope you enjoyed writing all that, because I stopped reading after the first line.

@conversionbox wrote:

Dogoti we have a very good mod on here called Microsansa. He does his best, but there are tons of posts on here and its nearly impossible to keep up.

Hence the need for more moderators.  Seems like there’s more to do that one person can reasonably be expected to keep on top of.

Thanks for the sensible reply.

Easy boys . . . you both have good points and both could be a bit more considerate of the other. :wink:

dogoti -

Yes, there is a high volume of posts/posters here to try and keep up with. But you run into problems when there is more than 1 moderator. Just as you and Robisan seem to have different opinions, so do mods. One might move or lock a thread, but the other doesn’t agree and comes along behind and changes it back, or worse does something completely different. This subjects the members at large to a managerial tug-o-war and creates confusion and chaos amongst the masses.

I, and others here do our best to advise new members when they are posting in the wrong board. And for the most part, if they have anything further to contribute or ask, they usually heed the advice and post in a more appropriate setting. Every once in a while though, there will be someone who thinks that they know more about everything than anyone here and takes offense at our suggestions.

This type of attitude from a Newbie is normally viewed upon as very bad form from anyone who has been a forum member for any length of time. And this is how I believe Robisan took your 1st post and suggestions. Personally I didn’t see it that way; there have been far worse scenarios where someone joined and instantly proclaimed themselves our Savior who was going to rescue us from ourselves and all of SanDisk’s evils.

What you stated was true, The Fuze Firmware Update thread is a prime example of things getting out of control. I believe I even made a comment on this on page 19. Lately though, just before (and after) the much-talked about and anticipated 1st Quarter firmware update that didn’t happen on cue, a lot of bandwidth has been wasted with petty & senseless drival and conversation. A certain amount of this will always go on, threads do tend to drift off-topic sometimes at the drop of a hat, but usually someone will bring it back into plumb after some good-natured joking around or ‘side’ discussions.

While your vantage-point as a ‘newcomer’ gives you the clarity of impartial observation, you also have to realize that well-established members sometimes see these type of comments from someone new as arrogant, threatening, and pompous. Best to tread lightly until you get a ‘feel’ for the personalities around here and then, after you have several posts under your belt, your comments will be received more warmly and taken with more validity.

-------------------------------- 

Robisan -

Your reply to dogoti too was factual, but I think you were a little harsh in your delivery of your message. We have all seen far worse examples of N00Bs strutting in here and telling us we’re all wrong, or SanDisk s**ks, and we shouldn’t have to put up with it, or they are going to lead our crusade for us (whether we want them to or not) and topple the evil empire for us poor peons.

And I can see where dogoti’ s 1st post might’ve come off like that too, but I didn’t see the ‘tude’ behind what he said, like we have with some others.

And the elongated Fuxe Firmware Update thread? This has sort of taken on a life of it’s own. The latest goal I’ve seen on there is to reach 100 pages before the new firmware comes out. This is simply childish and definitely the wrong place for such an undertaking. It’s like how many people can you stuff in a phone booth? It’s fun and a challenge, but you shouldn’t attempt it just anywhere. Imagine if you just received your first Fuze and somehow found this forum. And without the knowledge that you have now, stumbled into this or another helpful thread and suddenly discovered all this extraneous, un-necessary chatter. You would probably wonder too, “Doesn’t this forum have any moderators?”

This thread also won’t be deleted or ‘retired’ per say when the new f/w is released. Although the posting traffic should slow down considerably. There will be a new post (and subsequent thread) started for the new release. The old one needs to stay on the forum for reference to the soon-to-be previous firmware version. As more and more new posts are added, this will fade further and further back amongst the pages and archives.

@dogoti wrote:

@robisan wrote:

Sheesh, some people think they know everything and that everyone should conform to their superior ways. For your information, Know-it-all,

I hope you enjoyed writing all that, because I stopped reading after the first line.

Heh! Your quote shows otherwise…

Tapeworm -- Respectfully, here's a guy/gal who claims to have been "running boards from BBSs in the 90s to wikis in the present day," who makes a post that with his/her alleged experience should know is in, as you put it, "very bad form." That post was so wrong on so many levels it merited every bit of that ridicule, sarcasm and mocking...

@robisan wrote:

<–Snip–>

Tapeworm – Respectfully, here’s a guy/gal who claims to have been “running boards from BBSs in the 90s to wikis in the present day,” who makes a post that with his/her alleged experience should know is in, as you put it, “very bad form.” That post was so wrong on so many levels it merited every bit of that ridicule, sarcasm and mocking…

No it really didnt. Dogoti posted their opinion on the way this site is run. No more No less. You cant argue that someones opinion is not valid, because it is their opinion, all you can do is change your actions in an attempt to change the opinion and possibly offer up information contrary to the stated opinion. But attacking someone, is not the way to go about this. If Dogoti has all this experiance with forums that will influence the way he views this forum, and perhaps those forums had more constraining rules or a more pointed discussion which is what was expected… I dont know. All I know is that none of this matters we have a mod, we probably wont be getting more, and that makes this discussion pointless.

CB - Opinions can be factually wrong. Dogoti’s entitled to his wrong opinions; I’m entitled to factually rebut.

Dogoti’s opinion is “the signal to noise ratio here can be quite poor.” The facts are “most threads are less than one page. It’s rare that a thread goes more than 3 or 4 pages. The Search function works. The site is extemely usable for its intended purpose.” I’d add that probably 95% of the threads are short, remain on point and “noise” free. Dogoti calls that ratio “poor.” I report, you decide…

Dogoti opines that “no one should have to wade through piles of short, cheap, post-count-building messages or well-intentioned inquiries in the wrong thread just to find the information they’re looking for.” The facts are the Search function works, most “problem/solution” threads are answered on the first page and the number of threads that require “wading” at all (i.e. threads longer than a few pages) is very small. If someone’s really “wading” though page 25 of a three month old thread still trying to “find the information they’re looking for,” perhaps they should use the Search function or just post their question.

To be clear, my rebuttal is not that everything here is perfect and nothing needs changing/improving. Constructive suggestions are always welcome. But coming in here claiming to be an expert, pissing all over a community he/she barely knows, being factually wrong and offering him/herself up as savior…?  In my opinion, that worthy of ridicule, sarcasm and mocking.

@robisan wrote:

@dogoti wrote:

@robisan wrote:

Which part confused you?

(a) That the indent of the quote pushes the single line to a second line?

or

(b) That you don’t know the difference between “sentence” and “line”?

If anyone is deserving of “ridicule, sarcasm and mocking” it’s probably you.  But I wouldn’t want to injure someone who’s real life is apparently so devoid of purpose or significance that they need to create some sense of power by acting like a cretin on an electronic forum.

Best wishes to you and your fragile mental health.

@dogoti wrote:

@robisan wrote:

@dogoti wrote:

@robisan wrote:

Which part confused you?

The part where you soooooooo didn’t read it or care about it you had to start a whole new thread to call the waaaaaambulance over it…

Please see my post in the OP message. Let’s keep things civil and avoid personal attacks and insults.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta