Reply
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,233
Registered: ‎09-13-2008

How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?

I am thinking about a player midway in size between the Clip+ and Fuze with a built in clip, scroll wheel, 30+ hour battery life(40+ hours would be much better though), and screen midway in size between that of the Clip+ and Fuze. I also want it to have a mini USB connector. To help accomplish the long battery life, I am thinkung about the use of a basic alphanumeric LCD display like on a digital watch that is on all the time while the player is playing, and a dedicated button that lights a backlight just while it is pressed. I would want this player to have a full sized SDXC card slot, and perhaps HD radio if possible(with AM included).

 

SanDisk Fanatic
Posts: 218
Registered: ‎07-20-2008

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?


@JK98 wrote:

I am thinking about a player midway in size between the Clip+ and Fuze with a built in clip, scroll wheel, 30+ hour battery life(40+ hours would be much better though), and screen midway in size between that of the Clip+ and Fuze. I also want it to have a mini USB connector. To help accomplish the long battery life, I am thinkung about the use of a basic alphanumeric LCD display like on a digital watch that is on all the time while the player is playing, and a dedicated button that lights a backlight just while it is pressed. I would want this player to have a full sized SDXC card slot, and perhaps HD radio if possible(with AM included).

 


What's the point of making it bigger if it has an alphanumeric display?

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,233
Registered: ‎09-13-2008

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?

"What's the point of making it bigger if it has an alphanumeric display?"

 

First of all, so it could have much longer battery life, and a display larger than the Clip+ has. Many people have trouble reading the Clip+ display, and would also like to have a display with more lines than the Clip+ has.

Many people also want a full size SDXC card slot.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,305
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?


JK98 wrote:

Many people also want a full size SDXC card slot.

 


You have repeatedly stated this, but you seem to be the only one 'jonesing' for it. Everyone else seems content with the Micro size.

 

XC capacity? Well, since it isn't out yet we'll just have to wait to see what devices are built to support this new format. It won't simply be an upgrade to all the existing devices. We're talkin' complete new lines of cell phones, mp3 players, digital cameras, the works! Talk about planned obsolesence! That'll do it.

 

Personally, I'm not looking forward to replacing gear that still functions properly and does the job for which it was built, just to have the latest and greatest.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,233
Registered: ‎09-13-2008

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?

"You have repeatedly stated this, but you seem to be the only one 'jonesing' for it. Everyone else seems content with the Micro size."

 

Are they?

 

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/sandisk/

 

"XC capacity? Well, since it isn't out yet we'll just have to wait to see what devices are built to support this new format. It won't simply be an upgrade to all the existing devices. We're talkin' complete new lines of cell phones, mp3 players, digital cameras, the works! Talk about planned obsolesence! That'll do it."

 

That is why I want my next player to have SDXC capability, and players with SDXC capability should be released before the cards are available.

 

 

 

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,305
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?


@JK98 wrote:

"You have repeatedly stated this, but you seem to be the only one 'jonesing' for it. Everyone else seems content with the Micro size."

 

Are they?

 

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/sandisk/

 


OK . . . that makes 2 of you. But I really think capacity is the issue, not physical size of the card.


@JK98 wrote:

 

That is why I want my next player to have SDXC capability, and players with SDXC capability should be released before the cards are available.

 


Agreed. The demand must be created before the supply. It's the horse and carriage syndrome. With one in front, the combination works nicely. With the other, not so well.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,233
Registered: ‎09-13-2008

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?

"OK . . . that makes 2 of you. But I really think capacity is the issue, not physical size of the card."

 

 With the larger card(full sized vs micro) comes higher maximum capacity. I guess it might be interesting to have a player with two micro SDHC card slots rather than a single SDHC slot. Someone did point out that micro SDHC cards are too small to be conveniently handled and are much more easily lost than full sized SDHC cards.

Notice that there aren't any digital cameras(besides cameraphones) that have a micro SDHC card slot. It might take a while after the first full sized SDXC cards are out before micro SDXC cards become available.

 

 

SanDisk User
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎05-28-2009

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?

I agree with tapeworm. If it is not broken dont try to fix it. the sansa mp3 players i have are still working like they are supposed to(except the view) so why waste money on the newest product just because it is new.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,233
Registered: ‎09-13-2008

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?

It is broken though for some people. Some would like to replace old hard drive based players, and want at least 64 GB of space. Many would prefer to get a flash based player this time, however flash memory based players that have 64 GB or more of storage are not so easy to find.
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: How about a hybrid of the Clip+ and Fuze?


@JK98 wrote:
It is broken though for some people. Some would like to replace old hard drive based players, and want at least 64 GB of space. Many would prefer to get a flash based player this time, however flash memory based players that have 64 GB or more of storage are not so easy to find.

Right now I think there is only one with that much capacity, and it's not a player that I would want.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520