High Capacity Sansa Players?

I’ve read threads and opinions from other people who dislike iPods. I agree that iPods are wonderfully designed, but a little bit overpriced. I’ve never owned an iPod. My first MP3 player was a Sandisk classic 1GB player, and from there I’ve been moving on, with other Sansa players.

I was explaining in another topic that I’m planning to buy a new player, 3GB are just not enough for me anymore, and my e140 won’t support higher capacity expansion cards.

Sandisk’s current highest capacity player is the 16GB Sansa View. ($200) and I could expand it with an 8GB Micro SDHC ($140) and get 24GB of space, but dude… for that amount ($340) I can get a 160GB iPod classic!!!

Ok, I know, iPod Classic is HDD based and Sansa is Flash Memory based. Quite a difference.

However, I love Sansa players, and I’d love to see the day I can buy a 40GB… 80GB+++ Sansa player.

I’m not much into photos or videos. I don’t carry around my whole family album. If I wanna see a movie or watch TV series, I have a TV at home with a nice home teather for that. BUT… I have tons and tons of MP3s, whole artist collections and at high bitrates for a good audio quality, so, SIZE DOES MATTER!

Now, I’ve heard that the new SDHC in FAT32 will allow (theoretically) a maximum capacity of up to 2048GB, and currently largest available USB Drives and Compact Flash Type I are up to 64GB. In fact, in August 2007 Toshiba announced that they would be launching a 32 GB SDHC card [view reference]. So I guess it’s just a matter of time until we can have a 64GB, 128GB or even 256GB Sansa player!

When you have it, I will buy it!

That would be great because i am constantly running out of space on my sansa connect.

Sandisk should make some players with a full sized SD card card slot that navigate by folders or ID3 tags. How hard would it be to design a player with 2 or more full sized SD card slots?

Message Edited by JK98 on 10-13-2008 01:41 AM

I have an 80gb Sansa player onto which I loaded a ton of classical music that I had bought. I tucked it away for a couple of years and today rediscovered it and wanted to start listening to my music. The only problem is that I can’t seem to turn it on. (I do have it connected to a usb port on my laptop.) Nor can I find an instruction manual at home or online. Nor can I find any information on this 80gb MP3 player on any SanDisk or Sansa website. Does anyone know where I can find instructions for using this player (which I think cost me about $175 a couple of years ago).

It would be helpful:  what is the player model?  And then you can try checking at the forum for that model, or asking in that specific forum, or posting your own general question with a descriptive subject line, noting the player model, so that people will respond.

In the meanwhile, I would leave the player connected to an “on” computer for awhile–it may just need a charge.  (However, note that, with time, batteries degrade–yours may have degraded beyond being able to hold any amount of charge, depending on their age and age since having last been charged.) 

@oldsalt04101 wrote:

I have an 80gb Sansa player . . .

_ 80 GB? _ Really? :dizzy_face:

Or did you mean 8GB?

@tapeworm wrote:

Or did you mean 8GB?

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Sandisk has never made a player with more than 16GB built-in. I’d say you either have a Fuze+ and a 64GB microsdxc card (which, if it was even available 2 years ago, would have been very expensive) or a player made by a similarly-named manufacturer. Maybe Samsung?

@gwk1967 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Or did you mean 8GB?

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Sandisk has never made a player with more than 16GB built-in. I’d say you either have a Fuze+ and a 64GB microsdxc card (which, if it was even available 2 years ago, would have been very expensive) or a player made by a similarly-named manufacturer. Maybe Samsung?

There was a 32GB View that had a microsd slot…that was long before the 64GB cards were out though.

Ha, I knew about the View and forgot about it. Like some people wish they could, eh? :slight_smile: