Gapless Playback - PLEASE

My ipod was on its way out and bought the Sansa Clip to replace mine and the wifes, I was initially amazed by its size and ease of use and looking forward to getting rid of iTunes forever!  But then once I’ld put some tracks on the clip and played them I found it doesnt support gapless playback not even for FLAC files.

I was amazed that FLAC didnt work as its gapless by design, please implement it ASAP this is a major function that should be there and has been supported by many players for years.  I’m stuck between loving the clip vs sending it back for a refund!

Totally gutted :angry:  

“supported by many players for years”

I am only aware of a tiny handfull that ever fully supported it.

RIO KARMA

TREKSTOR VIBEZ

Apple iPod (added less then 6 months ago)

Only 3 or 4 others at best.

Also, as this has been requested 1,000 times now I am sure if it is possible Sandisk will give it to us.

They have said they are “looking into it” which I think is company-ese for “it’s coming, be patient”.

Gapless and no serious OTF playlisting are the only things holding the Fuze back IMO. I am on another forum where we discuss music and PMP’s and those are the 2 reasons hardly anyone on that forum would consider a Fuze.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 05-14-2009 04:16 PM

Well you proved my point then, realing off 6-8 players without problem!

Be nice if Sandisk were a little more transparent on what they were planning.  Is there no viewable bug/enhancement tracking system or roadmap?

@peregrine wrote:

“supported by many players for years”

I am only aware of a tiny handfull that ever fully supported it.

RIO KARMA

TREKSTOR VIBEZ

Apple iPod (added less then 6 months ago)

Only 3 or 4 others at best.

I must have really lucked out as I have 3 of those others: RioVolt (plays files on CDR, released 2000), Neuros (2003), Sansa e200 with rockbox 

I googled “Ipod gapless” and in the first few hits got articles from 2006 discussing which Ipods supported the “new” gapless feature. 

RioVolt = Precursor to Rio Karma. Trekstor Vibez = son of Rio Karma. So technically those 3 are the same. Just next gen versions. :wink:

(Sidenote, Trekstor Vibez far and away the best PMP ever… )

Riovolt was made by Iriver… I guess before Iriver had a real name in the US.  

Karma was designed by the empeg group which Rio acquired sometime between the empeg car player and Rio Reciever (similar to the empeg, but an AC powered network player), then Karma came out.  All 3 of those Empeg players were Linux based.

While there is a brand connection, the designs and manufacturing were from different companies on different continents and not related at all.

Message Edited by donp on 05-15-2009 03:55 PM

Do you have to disagree with me in every thrwead, DonP? lol :wink:

The RIOVOLT was made by SONICBLUE. Not iRiver. Rio, (more specifically) Digital Networks bought SonicBlue.

@peregrine wrote:

Do you have to disagree with me in every thrwead, DonP? lol :wink:

The RIOVOLT was made by SONICBLUE. Not iRiver. Rio, (more specifically) Digital Networks bought SonicBlue.

THe Rio brand name (wrt music players) originated with Diamond, which was one of the companies merged to form sonicblue.  Sonic blue wasn’t bought by Rio.

Ever hear of outsourcing or rebranding?   Even now you can go poking in old forums and reviews and find that firmware updates for the Riovolt were routinely available from Iriver before they showed up on the Sonicblue web site.