Dynamic Normalizer (featured on Sony Walkman players)

I now have 3 different Clips because they are so much easier to use that my Sony Walkmans, but one advantage they had was their dynamic normalizer, which kept loud songs from getting too loud.  So that any songs that were amplified more than others wouldn’t be too loud by comparison.  I imagine its the same thing when you burn an audio CD and have the option of normalizing track before being written.

I would like to see an option like this on the Clip so that I don’t have to manually check every mp3 file with Cool Edit Pro to see if it needs to be amplified before I transfer it on the player.

@mjp81 wrote:

I now have 3 different Clips because they are so much easier to use that my Sony Walkmans, but one advantage they had was their dynamic normalizer, which kept loud songs from getting too loud.  So that any songs that were amplified more than others wouldn’t be too loud by comparison.  I imagine its the same thing when you burn an audio CD and have the option of normalizing track before being written.

I would like to see an option like this on the Clip so that I don’t have to manually check every mp3 file with Cool Edit Pro to see if it needs to be amplified before I transfer it on the player.

This would be nice. I have similar feature on my Creative Zen Mozaic, called “Smart Volume” and it’s great…no quick volume adjustments track to track. I would love to see this on the Clip and Fuze.:smiley:

Confused: is this not handled by ReplayGain?

@nickc wrote:

In the case of the Fuze, it could be…if I wanted to expend the time and effort to learn how to use it, and to analyze all my files. But on my Mozaic, there’s no effort required, it’s all done for me.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@nickc wrote:

In the case of the Fuze, it could be…if I wanted to expend the time and effort to learn how to use it, and to analyze all my files. But on my Mozaic, there’s no effort required, it’s all done for me.

I just for the heck of it started MediaMonkey analyzing one subset of my music files, thinking I might tinker with the ReplayGain on the Fuze. Then I just skimmed through the tutorial thread…now I wonder if it’s worth trying or not. After all, I don’t “shuffle all” with the Fuze, due to the wide variety of music on it…so maybe I don’t really need RG. 

Also, I drag and drop to my Fuze in MSC mode. It’s my understanding that I would have to add the music with MediaMonkey in order for the RG data to transfer over, and I don’t want to do that. I only use MM for my MTP-only player, and to browse through my collection with album art visible. 

Just to check, I dragged and dropped a number of single track FLAC (produced by foobar2000) files onto my Fuze. The Replay Gain information is recognised without issue.