Clip(+): Don't activate display/backlight during idle charging or volume press.

Just purchased a Clip+ today. As I have read, the OLED in the has a limited lifetime of ~5000+ hours of use. It’s useless to have the backlight on when charging. I charge my devices at night, and this not only be an annoying beacon of light, but it’s 10 hours of uselessly wasted life-expectancy.

Also, the volume buttons are not needed to activate the display when any other button works fine. This is a waste of battery life, and can be annoying in the dark (especially with the 5-second backlight minimum). Not many people are going to be looking at the screen when (in/de)creasing volume.

Just my two cents.

Malik wrote:

Just purchased a Clip+ today. As I have read, the OLED in the has a limited lifetime of ~5000+ hours of use. It’s useless to have the backlight on when charging. I charge my devices at night, and this not only be an annoying beacon of light, but it’s 10 hours of uselessly wasted life-expectancy.

Also, the volume buttons are not needed to activate the display when any other button works fine. This is a waste of battery life, and can be annoying in the dark (especially with the 5-second backlight minimum). Not many people are going to be looking at the screen when (in/de)creasing volume.

Just my two cents.

Spend a few dollars on a wall charger (you may even already have one that will work)and you can eliminate your first issue…plus it will allow you to listen to it while you charge.

As to the volume issue, many would agree with you.

I use a powered hub to charge everything, so I’ll just unplug it from the computer. And concerning the volume: I just installed Rockbox, and I didn’t see an option to change Volume>Backlight settings. So, I’m wondering if this is a technical impossibility to fix via firmware, or RB didn’t get around to/has no interest in making that an option.

5,000 divided by 8 hours is 625 days. 

You will have moved on to another player long before that screen dies, my friend.

Actually, do note that the display turns off after an hour (I believe I have this right) of charging via your computer, for display-saving purposes.