AA battery powered mp3 player?

Of course, it would be nice …

In the meanwhile, here is a nifty, inexpensive AA battery charger that you could add to your kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emergency-AA-Battery-Charger-USB-MP3-Cell-Phone-/180576131314?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a0b2d18f2

In the meanwhile, here is a nifty, inexpensive AA battery charger that you could add to your Clip+ kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AA-Battery-USB-Emergency-Charger-2G-3G-iPod-Cell-Phone-/330510372738?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4cf3f40f82

In the meanwhile, here is a nifty, inexpensive AA battery charger that you could add to your Clip+ kit.  (Note:  there are many of these available at eBay; try a search on"AA battery emergency charger" to find the lowest price–well under US$5.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/AA-Battery-Emergency-Charger-Apple-iPhone-4-4G-/160473591084?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item255cf8ad2c

wonkawo wrote:

Specs for the greatest mp3 player known to man-

1. AA battery
  1. Micro SD slot
  1. Remembers bookmarks
  1. FM tuner
  1. Low-power screen. The iriver T10 has a fancy LCD screen but it’s a waste. I don’t look at pictures on it so all it does is ■■■■ up battery life. Better to have an OLED screen or something like that.
  1. Includes a clip. The iriver T10 has a solid clip that is pretty handy to have because you can clip it to whatever you’re wearing. Basically a great mp3 player IMO would be like an iriver T10 with a low power screen in place of the LCD and a micro SD slot or a Sandisk Clip+ that takes AA batteries.

I think you forgot the most important criteria for the perfect mp3 player.

1. High sound quality and sufficient power output to adequately drive high-quality ear/head phones.

Without it the rest of your list of must-haves is meaningless.

Bump for a dream mp3 player.

My e200’s battery met the destiny of those in Sansa’s current models.  After about 3 years the original 15-20 hour life was down to an hour and a half, so it mostly got used on one or the other power supply.  LUCKY, this model has a replaceable battery and for around $7 I got a new one with almost twice the MAH rating of the original (1350 vs 730).  

That doesn’t meet the full benefits of swappable standard batteries, but at least it takes the player out of the “designed to die” category implied by sealed battery.

Just joining the fray even though this thread is a bit stale.  I have the very good Sansa M260 (I think that’s the number) the 2gb model.  It runs on a AAA.  Yes, it would be cool if it could run on a AA instead and if it could take a microsd card.

To say there’s no market for these things is a bit harsh.  There’s a huge segment of users out there who are not that comfy with computers to charge things, or simply want to load on music like we did in the days of walkmans and cassettes.  I’m thinking of my parents, but it could just as easily be a techie type who doesn’t want to be tethered to the computer all the time - like me.

As I say, the m series was a great first step - thanks to Sansa, and consider that the market is waiting for you - if you advertise on tv and radio and attract a segment not currently able or happy with mp3 players.

Completely agree with all this, i’m still using my ancient single AA samsung yepp though it’s a bit battered and may not last another year. AAs mean that whenever the battery runs flat I can just pop in a new one, a single AA gives me 30-45 hours. extensible capacity and decent durability that’s what I need…

The next best thing:  your Clip plus an external AA-powered charger, such as that mentioned above.   :slight_smile:

Everyone seems to be dancing around the main problem here. The NUMBER one reason that you will probably never see an mp3 player that uses AA or even AA or ANY type of externally replaceable battery(s) is - FINANCIAL. The manufacturers need those “built-in” batteries to go belly up, so that they can sell you another player - maybe even their next generation with all kinds of bells and whistles in it. But if you’re able to hold on to your player and are happy with what it does - and - you take the responsibility to the power needs of it, how are THEY going to stay in business? (UNLESS - THEY MAKE A RECHARGEABLE BATTERY REPLACEMENT CARTRIDGE FOR YOU (like APC and their UPS devices) - what a concept!!! Of course they’d have to charge (sorry about that) you a lot - parts, shipping,handling,fondling,obsessing, drooling,whatever,etc,etc - in order to maintain a profit margin and stay in business. of course they could always make a player that has a limited “physical” life - IE - after a thousand or so times of pushing this or that button, it craps out - I believe they call that “planned obsolescence”. But nobody would do that - right?

This thread is still going? Really?

There may be another alternative; portable audio recorders.  The professional grade recorders generally have excellent playback quality and all the ones I’ve seen run on AA or AAA batteries.  The Yamaha C24 meets most of your requirements.  It runs for 34 hours on one AAA battery, accepts micro sdhc cards, has a low-power backlit monochrome screen, and some sort of clip (although I don’t think it’s what you’re looking for).  They aren’t designed for the purpose, so they don’t have FM tuners, generally don’t accept a wide variety of formats (usually just wav and mp3) and tend to be rather expensive, but they seem to be the closest things on the market to the long sought-after AA/AAA powered, removable storage mp3 player.

Another user who is looking for that elusive AA battery powered MP3 player.

• Great sound

• build in memory 4g or 8 g.

• FM tuner,

• small low power display - 3 lines of black and white 40 character text.

• Minimum of 50 hours of play time.

• voice recording

• splash tolerant.  Does not need to be submersible but a little rain or sweat should not kill it.

Table steaks

• are the ability to play the popular formats,

• functions like a flash drive,

• can play songs in a directory hierarchy.

• SD card slot would be a bonus.

• AM would be a superb bonus but not really expecting this.

Beating a dead horse?  Only if a product like this is not resurrected.

I have an MP3 player with AA battery before.  And I am not using it anymore.  It is just like a USB and It is limited to some command like play/pause botton, stop and forward and playback bottons as well.  Very simple.  I am just wondering if they can develop MP3 player, touch screen and batttery operated 

The recorders lack tag browsing. They also don’t support variable bitrates. They seem to support just mp3 and WMA. I have heard that two popular recorders won’t even keep the songs within an album in proper order. I was almost tempted to buy a recorder, but was discouragfed after hearing that.l

Sexiest AA batteries ever

I know, I know, that’s a bold statement up there in the headline, 'cause there are a lot of fine-looking AAs out there. These are Sanyo’s newest NiMH rechargeable batteries and, honestly, when was the last time you saw batteries with a tribal tattoo?

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20075734-1/sexiest-aa-batteries-ever/#ixzz1QmMDxDTe

Ah, marketing  …

The thing that catches my eye is the little “powered by eneloop technology” badge in the upper left. Eneloops are widely regarded as among the best rechargeable batteries, so if these are amped-up Eneloops, they ought to be great. Ridiculous “eXXtreme” labelling aside.

The extreme label is to justify the extreme price. :slight_smile: $23.45 for a 4 pack? I don’t like to pay more than $10 for a 4 pack of AA nimh batteries. Ideally I would like to pay $7 or less. The regular Eneloops are only around $10 for a 4 pack. Is it worth paying over double the price for 25% more capacity? I don’t think so.

True, the price is a bit steep. But once they’re more plentiful, hopefully we should be able to find them at a decent discount.