AA battery powered mp3 player?

“1) Consumers. Sadly, the ones that want to see more DAPs with replaceable batteries are a very small minority.”

I don’t believe that, and won’t believe that until all new models of both digital cameras and cell phones  have a built in battery. The fact that there are many digital camera models being made that use AA batteries means that consumers do like using AA batteries. While an argument can be made for lithium ion and lithium ion polymer batteries since they have around double the energy density of nimh batteries, lithium batteries can’t be charged as fast as nimh batteries, and are more costly and not as standardized as nimh batteries. Another advantage of nimh batteries is that if someone is stuck without a charged battery, they could use an alkaline battery instead.

'The 3rd is size - smaller size means a specially designed battery and again the big and clumsy AA is discarded."

Smaller isn’t necessarily better if the controls and screen are too small. While allowing for a swappable battery takes up more space, if the battery is charged outside the player(as is common with Canon digital cameras) that will save the space that charging circuitry would take up. If an mp3 player is slotmusic player, USB connection circuitry and the USB connector is omitted, saving space. I am taking about a full function slotmusic player though, one with a display and good navigation, perhaps like the Clip+ but without USB connectivity and without battery charging.

"

I can’t see any company coming out with a new AA powered player and I can (sort of) understand why - it would be a business suicide."

I disagree. AA or AAA isn’t the only option for easily swappable batteries though. A lithium ion battery would also be okay if a standard sized, easily swappable, inexpensive one that is charged outside the player is used.

I am focusing on not just the aspect of easily swappability and the ability to carry inexpensive spare batteries, but also the aspect of charging batteries outside the player to prevent unnecessariry wear on the player from heat due to charging. If Canon can do this for digital cameras, and also make some several models that use AA batteries, there is no reason that mp3 player makers can’t also do this.

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-20-2009 11:03 AM