Highlighted

shouldn't I be able to use the 30 pin - usb cable to play sansa in my car?

I would like to do this because:

1> the sound would have to be cleaner than the FM solution (no modulation - just line in)

2> I could run a 3.5mm (mini phono) to 2 RCA jack cable and play from the Sansa headphone jack to the Kenwoods provided RCA left and right input jacks.  However - I have found headphone jacks (in particular the tiny 1/8" mini like the one on the e280R) to be quite fragle.  It doesn't take much abuse to cause these to go out.  When they fail they are almost impossible to repair and you are screwed.  This method would also be much messier than using the Kenwoods usb teather which is neatly routed to the golvebox.

I have been trying to accomplish this with no success to date.  I know you can play out of the 30 pin cable because the
Maximo Car FM Transmitter & Charger (SAN-360) plugs into the 30 pin to receive music then modulate it for playback on your cars FM radio (see http://www.sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=2168).

I have called and written customer support and received many suggestions as a result.  Nothing thus far has worked.

I have a plain gig stick with normal .mp3 files plugged into the Kenwoods usb teather now and it plays great.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: shouldn't I be able to use the 30 pin - usb cable to play sansa in my car?

when you connect it to the stereo does the device swtich to connected, or does it just charge?
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

Don't have the car right now but will check asap.  You obviously know much more about this stuff than me (as evidenced in other posts).  Any thoughts on these questions would be appreciated:

1> I have been told that the Sansa present as two (2) drives.  If this is true then q1a>why does it do this and q1b>maybe this is my playback problem as the Kenwood might be confused as it's looking for files and folders of files like the gigstick and not drives?. 

2> If playback is present at the 30 pin end of the S42 data and charging cable (which it appears to be) then it should also be present at the other usb end, right?

3> Could the license and 30 day shutdown feature of the Rhapsody files (I have no idea how they do this) distinguish these playbacks from regular (everlasting) .mp3 files.  If so could this impact my inability to playback through the usb on the S42 cable?
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@Enigma wrote:
when you connect it to the stereo does the device swtich to connected, or does it just charge?

I bought a USB charger for a wall outlet, which I'd imagine is similar, and it just charges and you can listen to it while it's charging.
Highlighted

You mean listen through the headphone jack, right?  I'm trying to playback via the usb cable that sansa uses to connect to your PC.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I doubt thats gonna work without some sort of modding on your end. Theres those fm transmitters that are able to do that, so i dont doubt that its possible.

Maybe it takes a certain pinout and/or voltage.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

It's the head unit's 'fault' I think.

I have this problem with my kenwood as well. The odd thing is that when I tested other USB car stereos, they would work fine with the sansa, but not with the 60GB seagate drive that I use without a problem on the kenwood. Ugh.

The kenwood also sorts everything by *creation* time, which is impossible to change using any tools that I have come across. DUMB!!!
Highlighted
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

Hmmm. I just opened a new thread on this before I saw this one.. I ve got a Kenwood Excelon head unit which has a USB cable out the back. Rather than repeat myself, just let me paste in the content of post in the thread I opened on this subject:

----------------------

I have an aftermarket Kenwood Exelon model KDC-X590 that is a few years old which I run in tandom with an external amp, subwoofers, the works.. And, since the Headunit has a USB cable out the back for use with storage devices containing MP3 or WMA files, and supports the usb 1 and 2 specs, I thought I was in luck. So this morning, I tried making the connection to my 8gb Fuze.. The Fuze showed the 'Connected' graphic in the window, but the car's Headunit showed that it didnt recognize the device.

Ive read elsewhere that the Headunit is expecting to see a usb device using the fat or perhaps, fat32 format.

Can anybody think of any reason why the Headunit is not recognizing the Fuze, despite the fact that the Fuze seems to be seeing the Head Unit? BTW, Ive set the Fuze up in the Autodetect mode.. I would think that would handle any potential issue I might have expected had I connected to the car's receiver in MTP mode in case the head unit couldnt handle it. So why is it not being recognized? Anybody have an idea or any experience with this type of problem?

Whats my alternative if I want to play my music library on my car? Would a USB thumbdrive onto which Ive copied my mp3 files work? Why would that work but not the Fuze..

--------------------

Comments? Would an mp3 loaded thumb drive work, or , would it have the same problem my new Fuze is having?

>>I have a plain gig stick with normal .mp3 files plugged into the Kenwoods usb teather now and it plays great.<<

Is a Gig Stick anything like a USB thumb drive?  Since the former worked, I wonder if I shoudnt just get another thumb drive to load up with mp3 files.. That would probably be cheaper than one of those Fm transmitter connection on free fm frequency deals. 

Message Edited by boostm3 on 06-21-2008 03:06 PM