Highlighted
Accepted Solution

e250R loop rebooting even after format

Guys,

I have my Sansa e250R since two years ago with no major issues (eventually stuck etc but nothing serious), yesterday i was listening some music and system reboots at the beggining of a particular song, after reboot i hit play again on same song and since then system starts a reboot loop, the only way to stop it is to hold power button hold for 10-15 secs and it shuts down but if power on again loop continues.

To be more specific, during power on screen shows SANDISK logo, then Sandisk rapsody and screen starts to move form black to white and loop starts again. Smiley Sad

I have tried to reset the system using menu+power but nothing happens, the only method that appears to work is to activate "hold" and press "record" key during PC connection and it takes me to recovery mode. A 16 MB disk appears on my computer but once i tried to copy new firmware there and reboot nothing happens.

Really appreciate if someone knows how to bring my sansa back to life. Smiley Happy 

SanDisk Guru

Re: e250R loop rebooting even after format

Critics . . . . everywhere! Sounds like it doesn't like that particular song very much. Smiley Very Happy

Seriously, it does sound like your player doesn't care for something about that song, whether the file is corrupted, or just crap in the ID3 tag.

What happens if you plug the player into your computer while it (the player) is off? Does it still do the re-boot dance? Try pressing & holding the REW ( |<< ) button (not REC) while you plug in the player. Instead of forcing Recovery Mode, this will force MSC mode. You should be able to run ChkDsk while connected this way. It will search for and correct (with the f/ switch) corruption or problems in files. Be sure to answer NO when you're asked if you want to save the bad chains or data as files.

Try & make note what what files it corrects, because you may need to delete and re-install these. Or worst case scenario, you may have to format your player afterward which will erase everything (except firmware) and you'll have to re-load your player. As I mentioned, a bad ID3 tag can cause problems like this; read up here on ID3 tags (it also has the ChkDsk info in the same post).

Let us know how this goes. Smiley Happy

Tapeworm,

Thx a lot for really fast reply, to ask your first question dance continues when it's off and connect to computer...... Smiley Sad.

On the other hand, when i press |<< nothing happens.............. appears that the only thing that works is the recovery mode, so please really appreciatte if you can use your knowledge to support me with my SANSA.

I do not have any  problem if fix deletes all my stored data, but i need it back to life. Smiley Happy

SanDisk Guru

Two things; I neglected to remind you to slide the HOLD switch to ON (toward the headphone jack) before you are attempting to connect while holding the |<< button. Same procedure as Recovery Mode, but the |<< instead of the REC.

Secondly, did you make sure the firmware file was un-zipped or extracted before you attempted to drag it into the 16MB partition? Sometimes Windows will show you a 'preview' of what's contained in a zip file & you think it's extracted, but it's not.

Buddy,

Thanks a lot for your time helping me on this issue, I am doing the following:

=> Keep hold switch to on (orange can be viewed) and keep |<< button pressed and then conect USB cable to SANSA, the result is that SANSA displays "KEY LOCKED" System shut down........... can you believe it??

And on second method, i have un-zipped file with WINRAR and WINZIP tons of times from following URL http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1449 since i have a e200R. What i am doing is connecting system as "recovery mode", after it, message appears "USB cable connected", "Enter USB2.0 MSD mode" then i copy the single file named pp5022.mi4. After that i disconnect SANSA as normal USB device and system prompts to restart, but after that reboot dance appears again. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Am i doing something wrong or my SANSA is playing tricks on me??? Please advice!!!!!

Dude,

My SANSA is back to life.......... what i did was to get old firmware version from http://daniel.haxx.se/sansa/e200/rhapsody/ then use recovery mode and paste it on 16MB partition, after that SANSA restarted in great shape, later that i put it on recovery mode again and install latest firmware version from SANDISK website. I have not tried charging files to it but assume that will work............ let you know later.

Thx so much for your help and attention with this issue, really appreciatte it and really hope that my issue and fix can help another people in the future. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

SanDisk Guru

Glad to hear you were able to get it up & working!

I have had ALL the same problems that you had.  However, the old firmware fix didn't work for me.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

i dont know how to format the mp3 i have

Tapeworm,

Tried your solution and I continue to get the reboot dance. I can get into the 16MB partition by going to the recovery mode (Hold + REC + plug in device). I downloaded the latest firmware version (03.01.16a) but still get the dance, once it confirms the update happened.

Any other suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy