Highlighted

e250R Firmware Questions

[ Edited ]

Couple of questions regarding the firmware.

1.) All I see at http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376 is firmware listed for the e200 and e200R. Is this implying the e2x0 series? Is this what I want to download? I have an e250Rv1. I do not see anything specifically related to the e250R. I currently have v1.0.2.165.

2.) Is it possible to flash the e250R to the e250 firmware? I do not use the Rhapsody component at all and I never plan to. I actually never even use it with a media player, I just manually load up MP3s under the \Music folder using Windows Explorer.

Message Edited by Shinedog on 06-23-2008 01:36 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: e250R Firmware Questions

1. yeah, that's for yours.

2. I do that too, but I'm not sure about the level of compatibility. I think you should be fine.
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]

Completely different Firmware.  Here is the link to the latest E200R series firmware (which by the way, is what is currently on your device).  http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1449

The new E200's are at V2 and that firmware is incompatible with the V1 firmware as well.  I don't know why you would want to go to standard E200 firmware as the only real difference is the addition of the Rhapsody Channels menu item, the splash screen, and the description of MSC and MTP modes.  (on the E200R, MSC mode is labeled "Rhapsody" mode and MTP mode is Labeled "PlaysForSure" )

I actually like the fonts on my E200R better than the one's on my daughters E260 v1.

As to your original question though, you are stuck at your current firmware.  I would recommend downloading a copy in case you need to have it around for disaster recovery.

Message Edited by p_opus on 06-25-2008 06:59 AM
Highlighted

Dear Sirs and madams, I have 3 x Sansa e250. 2 of them have Ver. 2xxx firmware, but one has Ver. 1.xx, I’m trying to upgrade firmware ver. 1 to ver 2. But not succeeded. Ver. 1 firmware not recognizing 4GB micro card, while other 2 have no problem.Your help and support will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@iahmed1 wrote:
Dear Sirs and madams, I have 3 x Sansa e250. 2 of them have Ver. 2xxx firmware, but one has Ver. 1.xx, I’m trying to upgrade firmware ver. 1 to ver 2. But not succeeded. Ver. 1 firmware not recognizing 4GB micro card, while other 2 have no problem.Your help and support will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, but it is not possible to 'upgrade' from a v1 to a v2 model. They have a totally different chipset in them. The v2 units natively support SDHC memory cards, but the v1's are limited to SD (2GB max.) cards.

The only way to use the larger capacity cards in the v1 devices is to install Rockbox, a 3rd-party, open-source, alternative firmware. You can do a search here; that have been plenty of discussions about it, or check it out for yourself at www.rockbox.org.

Btw, there is a 3rd model version, the 'R' or Rhapsody model. This is the board you have posted in. The 'R' unit is essentially a v1 unit with additional hardware for the Rhapsody music subscription service. And yes, it has a completely different firmware version too, although it also starts with a 1. And no, it will only recognize up to the 2GB card and cannot be changed without Rockbox.

DO NOT attempt to install a different firmware version than the one appropriate for your player! This can result in a very nice, shiny paperwieght that used to be your player.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Smiley Happy