e-280r (?) locked up, nothing has fixed it yet

I have an e-280 R (at least the cover says that) that has been working ok with a few glitches here and there (volume falling away on one earbud, not charching while hooked up on computer, not shutting off) that were all fixed by doing the battery take-out and reset method.

Now all of a sudden on start-up I get the Sandisk logo (with the pointy thing), then the screen goes white and returns with the black logo screen. The computer does not recognize it. I have tried to reload the firmware, but now after the logo shows I get a message "Load main image failed. Switch to recovery mode". So I lock the thing, push the rec. button and hook up the USB cable at the same time. "Welcome to recovery mode USB cable connected Enter USB2.0 MSD mode". I have put the pp5022.mi4 file into the 16MB box and disconnected the player, see it go through a formatting cycle, with no result.

I called tech support, which was very non-supportive (not even listening to my questions, seemed to be talking to several customers at the same time). She told me to buy a new player since she couldn't help me any further (= after one re-installment of firmware).

After searching the net, reinstalling the firmware many times over I don't know what to do anymore and are about to throw the turkey in the trash and buy a new one the day after thanksgiving. I've seen some good deals for the fruity thing that now has the same features as this e-280 (finally). I only have about 100 hours of listening on this device, mostly while traveling by plane.

I hope one of the guru's has a way to get my e-280 going, I did like it.

SanDisk Guru

Re: e-280r (?) locked up, nothing has fixed it yet

overcast wrote:

I have put the pp5022.mi4 file into the 16MB box and disconnected the player, see it go through a formatting cycle, with no result.

After searching the net, reinstalling the firmware many times over I don't know what to do anymore and are about to throw the turkey in the trash and buy a new one the day after thanksgiving.

This is the firmware installment procedure, not formatting. Create a new file (or folder) in the 16MB partition and re-name it sansa.fmt. Upon disconnection, the player will format itself. 

Have you considered the possibility that you may not have an 'R' unit after all, and that if you indeed have a regular v1 unit, it would take a different firmware? Try manually installing the firmware from this post and see what happens.

I tried installing the V1 firmware and after more than 45 minutes waiting for something to happen I unplugged the USB cable since the "eject" function came up with a message that the e-drive was in use, removing it might damage files. The player in the mean time was getiing quite warm. Immediately the player told me that it was resetting itself, turned off and came back with the message "Load main image failed Switch to recovery mode".

When plugging in the USB cable, the 16MB window opens with this message:

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-01.01-RN01.02.165-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-01.01-RN01.02.165-D
ODM Ver.: S301-01.01-RN01.02.165-D
OEM Ver.: RN01.02.165-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2007.04.27
Build Number: (Build 32.10) 

From reading earlier posts this is an R version, correct?                                                                                                                                                                                                   

SanDisk Guru

overcast wrote:

When plugging in the USB cable, the 16MB window opens with this message:

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-01.01-RN01.02.165-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-01.01-RN01.02.165-D
ODM Ver.: S301-01.01-RN01.02.165-D
OEM Ver.: RN01.02.165-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2007.04.27
Build Number: (Build 32.10) 

From reading earlier posts this is an R version, correct?                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Yep, that is a Rhapsody player allright, as evidenced by the highlighted firmware numbers. It's showing the latest version too.

So, have you formatted it, using the sansa.fmt file method in Recovery Mode?

the sansa.fmt , is that a new folder or a new file? I made a new folder with that name and nothing in it, and placed it next to the "text" file. I then opended the "text" file and dragged/dropped pp5022.mi4 in there, so you get a very long page with characters. I went back to "my computer", rightclick and eject. unlocked the device.

Luno unlocked

Luno ejected

Safe to disconnect USB

Exit USB 2.0MSD mode

Formatting......

Load main image failed. Switch to recovery mode.

What am I doing wrong???????  

SanDisk Guru

overcast wrote:

the sansa.fmt , is that a new folder or a new file? I made a new folder with that name and nothing in it, and placed it next to the "text" file. I then opended the "text" file and dragged/dropped pp5022.mi4 in there, so you get a very long page with characters. I went back to "my computer", rightclick and eject. unlocked the device.

Luno unlocked

Luno ejected

Safe to disconnect USB

Exit USB 2.0MSD mode

Formatting......

Load main image failed. Switch to recovery mode.

What am I doing wrong???????  

The pp5022.mi4 file is the firmware. You're trying to put it inside the version.txt file. You need to drop it alongside the .txt file just as you do with the sansa.fmt (can be folder or file) into the 'root' of the 16MB partition. Be aware you're doing 2 different things here both at the same time; re-installing the firmware and re-formatting the device's memory.

You might try 1 at a time. The 'Load Main Image Failed' message means that the firmware is corrupt. I'd try that first.

I did exactly the way you explained, twice. Still the same "load image failed, switch to recovery road" message.

What else can I do to get this thing working?

SanDisk Guru

Stubborn little bugger, eh?

OK . . . maybe the daughterboard holding the memory chip to the motherboard has become dislodged. See this post for details & pics, take the back off (4 teensy tiny, itty bitty screws) remove the battery and you'll find 4 more screws. Take these out (don't lose any of these!) and gently pry the casing apart. I like to start at the bottom (literally) at the connection port and work my way around. Using the picture as a guide, see if you can re-seat the board. You might hear or feel a slight click (or not). Put 'er back together and see what happens.

I took it apart, took the daughterboard off, reinstalled it, tried the firmware installation again. After the "formatting....." it says "loading main image", but after that I get the "load main image failed, switch to recovery mode" message. Could there be a bad section of memory, and is there a way to get around that?

Same issue with mine....