Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Well I have quite situation with my sansa e280.. My sansa...

That often means the memory chip came loose.  You can probably open it up and then push it back into the slot.

SanDisk User

@saratoga wrote:

That often means the memory chip came loose.  You can probably open it up and then push it back into the slot.

THat's a possibility since I do remember a small drop receeding the occurrence.  It comes up in recovery mode and sees only 16mb.  Loose chip? HOPE that works. 

SanDisk Guru

If you have recovery mode, then the memory isn't lose. If it gets loose you lose access to recovery mode too.
SanDisk User

Why is it recognizing just 16 mb? Where is my memory?  What is the situation here then?

SanDisk Guru

@deucesup22 wrote:

Why is it recognizing just 16 mb?

That's Recovery Mode. You can re-install the firmware while connected this way that may help and/or format the player (which will clear the memory) by creating a new blank file and naming it "sansa.fmt" (w/o quotes).

SanDisk User

If I right click on the drive and try to format, it will say windows was unable to complete the format.  Actually it just registered as formatted after I tried to put that file there.  Now I have a sansa.fmt file on the disk but the drive shows as 16mb still

SanDisk User

How do I reinstall the firmware and it seems no matter what I do it only sees 16 mb

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

@deucesup22 wrote:

If I right click on the drive and try to format, it will say windows was unable to complete the format.  Actually it just registered as formatted after I tried to put that file there.  Now I have a sansa.fmt file on the disk but the drive shows as 16mb still

Dont ever attempt to do this in Recovery Mode!!!

You WILL brick your player!!!

Only format the way I described. If you have created a new file and named it sansa.fmt, click on "Safely Remove hardware" in your system tray, and then un-plug the player and move the HOLD switch off.. it will then format itself.

This post may be of help to you.

SanDisk User

@Tapeworm wrote:

@deucesup22 wrote:

Dont ever attempt to do this in Recovery Mode!!!

You WILL brick your player!!!

Only format the way I described. If you have created a new file and named it sansa.fmt, click on "Safely Remove hardware" in your system tray, and then un-plug the player and move the HOLD switch off.. it will then format itself.

Create the file how?  If I want to put a file on the drive it wants to format it 1st.  No matter what , it recognizes it as a 16 mb drive only.  If I eject and unplug it goes into the endless startup loop.

SanDisk Guru

@deucesup22 wrote:
Create the file how?  If I want to put a file on the drive it wants to format it 1st.  No matter what , it recognizes it as a 16 mb drive only.  If I eject and unplug it goes into the endless startup loop.

In Windows Explorer . . . File > New Folder (or file, it really doesn't matter). this will insert a new blank folder into the 16mb partition. Right-click on it and select Rename. Type in sansa.fmt.