Highlighted

WMA vs MP3

I have question, if any body has experience with this. I know the difference between WMA and MP3, and I know the whole thing about compression. If you need to know more here is a link: http://www.twoinchview.com/18-mp3-vs-wma-what-one-is-best-for-you

Basically my question is 128bit MP3 should equal to 64bit WMA, so the WMA takes less space and basically you can have double the number of songs on your player, I want to know if any body tried adding WMA to their player and if they prefer it over mp3.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: WMA vs MP3

"Microsoft made some comparisons between WMA and MP3, and declared that a 64kbps WMA sounded as good as a 128bps MP3."

Guess who makes .wma? Microsoft. Pepsi thinks Pepsi tastes better than Coke, too.

The reason they tested at that rate was because 128kbps sounds bad anyway.  Wma and mp3 sound differently bad, but appreciably different from the CD, especially on voices, pianos and cymbals.

There's a limit to how much you can compress something. WMA may be good but it is not a miracle, and you just will not get the same quality as mp3 at half the bitrate. That's nothing but hype. Maybe you can save a few bits, maybe not. That article goes on to suggest you do your own listening tests--not to blindly accept what Microsoft says about its own product. 

If you use .wma you are limited for playback to devices that have paid Micro$oft for the incredible privilege of using .wma.  You need to encode with Windows Media Player or other Microsoft-licensed applications, and if you're not careful, then  ripping your albums to .wma will add DRM (Digital Rights Mangling) and sooner or later will screw up the playback on those files. On the other hand, .Mp3 plays just about everywhere and doesn't have DRM. Mp3 is not open-source software--there's still a patent on it--but with the (free, open-source) LAME encoder it has become the universally accepted format. For decent sound, use 192 kbps mp3, or even VBR 160 kbps. 

So you can support the secretive Microsoft near-monopoly, with all their limitations on how you use your music,  and have files you can't trust that might not play. Or you can use .mp3--the real Plays for Sure format. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted

>>Or you can use .mp3--the real Plays for Sure format<<

Sadly the Cell phone companies are fast making this a myth.   Many of them are now not only restricting you to playing DRM encoded MP3 ringtones they are even forcing you to download them through thier internet services.  Causing you to either pay a monthly fee for internet access or ridiculous rates for the actual download of the ringtones.

These companies should be boycotted until they come to their senses.  Fido is the one I am having problems with but I have seen many complaints about other service providers in this regard in my research into the problem.

DRM was created to protect the Artists rights and to to provide a cash cow for the Cell phone service companies.  Whether or not you agree or disagree with DRM this is not a proper use of the idea or technology.  I have purchased hundreds of mp3 ringtones for my older phone which ended up in the wash.  Now forced to purchase a new phone all the ringtones I previously purchased are useless to me.

Please read and enquire about your cell phone service before signing up and boycott any that are instituting this ridiculous policy!!

Carl.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Are you sure those are mp3 files? They're probably .wma or some other format. Perhaps there is now DRM-equipped mp3, but I've never seen it.  

Is your phone a CDMA phone (it would say so somewhere on the phone or in the manual). Because there's a lovely free program called BitPim

that can communicate with those phones. It's how I put my homemade ringtones on my LG phone: rip CD to mp3, choose your segment with  Audacity sound editing software, transfer with BitPim.  

There are also some very good cellphone forums like  This one and  that one  that might have some ideas about saving your ringtones. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I have figured it out!  Bill Gates must have had a 1960s Channel Master AM pocket radio as a kid...'cause that's EXACTLY what a 64kBPS wma file sounds like!  What a great idea for oldies!  Stuff those files into that gnarled paper lunch sack with grease spots showing through...

He must have said once, in a meeting, with the cracker crumps flying from his mouth, "Wow!  This soundth gweat! (smack) Path me another Diet Coke!"

In response, the development team gave the official golf clap to it, and there you go.

Every time I hear that old excuse for overcompression, I think George Orwell.

News flash!  It doesn't sound all that good.  Try a higher bitrate.  Compress it that far if you're going to visit Zimbabwe for a year without electrical power.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy