Highlighted
SanDisk User
Accepted Solution

Micro SD Card Issues..

Okay so I bought a micro sd card for my player because I used a small 256kb little rinkdy dinky card.

So i bought a sandisk 4gb "micro sd hc"  card and it is not being recognized.  I am thinking its because its a micro sd "hc" card?

Do I need just a micro sd card w/o the hc...Smiley Mad

SanDisk Guru

Re: Micro SD Card Issues..

Your assumption is correct, the e200R doesn't support HC cards.
SanDisk User

That blows and just read on another post that only the R models can take 2 gig. those bastards!!
SanDisk Guru

It WILL work with Rockbox, which is a little tricky to use and a little MORE tricky to install on an "R" model..

I say it's totally worth it though.

If you can follow instructions, you can use it- it's totally Free and Legal

-you can put videos on the SD cards, and it's easier to get the videos converted right.

-comes with 20+ Free games (like ripoffs of Jewels, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Sudoku, etc...)

-you can record from FM or mic into mp3 format, which saves space

-customizable themes (check the pictures out!)- http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WpsSansaE200

-lots of extra settings ( I can turn off the blue ring at night!)

www.rockbox.org

Just read the right chapter in the manual FIRST, they get really cranky about questions on their forum if you haven't.

-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.
SanDisk User

This is very interesting and I would like to do this, I was doing some research and I found some info on wikipedia that has me wondering.  I was hoping you could explain this a little bit more for me Mr. Autobahn?

"The Sandisk firmware does not recognize the newer micro SDHC format (generally 4GB and higher). Rockbox firmware will recognize the SDHC format, but you are not able to save data via the USB connection of the e200--only through an external SDHC reader." 

Do I have to purchase this so called reader?

I read the manual over at that site and it looks fairly easy to install this firmware onto my player, but Im afraid if I do it incorrectly my player will no longer be usable.  If it is done incorectly can you set the player back to factory standards or are you screwed.

SanDisk Guru

I'm not Mr. Autobahn, but I can try to help you . . .

Ton3 wrote:

"The Sandisk firmware does not recognize the newer micro SDHC format (generally 4GB and higher). Rockbox firmware will recognize the SDHC format, but you are not able to save data via the USB connection of the e200--only through an external SDHC reader."   

Do I have to purchase this so called reader?

Yes, as Rockbox does not support any of the USB functions. In other words, when you plug in your player it will automatically boot into the Sansa firmware. And because the version of your player cannot read the larger capacity SDHC cards, if one of these cards are in the slot it will not be recognized. So you need the reader in order to add or delete any music, etc. to the card. Then you can plug the card into the player.

Card readers are cheap nowadays. Just make sure the one you buy says it is compatible with SDHC (not just SD) cards. Not all are. Smiley Wink

I read the manual over at that site and it looks fairly easy to install this firmware onto my player, but Im afraid if I do it incorrectly my player will no longer be usable.  If it is done incorectly can you set the player back to factory standards or are you screwed.

Make sure you follow the directions very closely & carefully for installing RB on the 'R' (Rhapsidy) models. It is different than the normal version. The Rockbox Utility is very easy, but I don't think it will work with an 'R' unit.

Even if you botch it up, you can usually un-do it or worst-case scenario, format your player and start over. But consult the Rockbox site for all the details.

I would only further advise reading the RB maual. A LOT! And keep it handy as you will want to refer to it often. The most complex part of Rockbox is the sheer number of user-configurable options that there are. The manual tells you all about these and what they do, although some of them are pretty involved. I still don't know ALL about them and I've been playing with it for over a month.

One more thing; DO download some themes. The default RB interface is butt-ugly! With the advent of RB 3.0 last year, the syntax was changed and some of the themes available do not work as-is with the new version. Most, if not all the ones on the RB site will work, but there are others around that if you like them, it's up to you to 'fix' them. Not impossible, but complicated if you don't know what you're doing.

But you can do some research; poking & digging around to find out how to do it. I did. I taught myself enough by doing this that I just finished creating/writing my 1st theme. It's not ready for prime-time yet, but I like it. Have fun! Smiley Happy

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

I'm Stuck!  I am computer literate and I followed instructions to a tee!  I get stuck when in the rockbox website doing the special instructions for installing specifically for an "R" model. 

1. Boot up your device and connect the USB cable (make sure you have set the USB Mode to MSC/Rhapsody)
  2. Copy pp5022.mi4 to the root of your device
  3. Copy OF.mi4 to the system folder within your device (make sure you have set Windows to "Show hidden files")
  4. Download a recent Sansa e200 build of Rockbox from here and unzip it to the root of your device*
  5. "Safely remove" your Sansa, disconnect the USB cable and wait for it to reboot. It should refresh the database, then upgrade the firmware. After another reboot, you should be in Rockbox!*
  6. Delete the sansa folder from your desktop

(1-6 is actually 6-11) at this page here

*this is where im stuck.  I allready did this from the manuals instructions.  Doing it again is what makes me think it didnt work the first time.  I am going to try it all over again.  Thought I would post my situation to just explain what is happening here.

*When I do this, it just goes to the screen that says main image load failed or something and says to go in recovery mode.

By The Way...

I can't thank you guys enough, been a major help for me since I found this great site.  This rockbox is very cool and gives me new appreciation for my favorite piece of electronics.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Ton3 on 01-20-2009 10:15 PM
SanDisk Guru

Did you patch the bootloader first?

Pre-requisites

In order to install Rockbox you MUST have patched the Sandisk bootloader on your device as described in SansaE200RInstallation.

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

Got It.  Big thanks to you all who have helped here Smiley Happy

I skipped a few important steps that I hadn't noticed earlier. 

Can't wait to see what's in store...

Thank you all for giving me a new twist for my player...

Got the reader for my sdhc card on the way..

Solved...

Message Edited by Ton3 on 01-21-2009 08:38 AM