SanDisk Fanatic

E200R General FAQs

[ Edited ]

Switching between MSC and MTP modes

• Turn the Sansa on, if it is not already
  • Navigate to the main menu of the player; the menu that gives us options such as Play, Record, Settings, Info 
  • Navigate to 'Settings' on the main menu of the player.
  • After navigating to 'Settings' we should see an option that states 'USB' or 'USB MODE'.
  • From here we can select MSC or MTP modes
  • Once the mode is selected, it will roll back to the 'Settings' menu

*Auto Detect = Plays For Sure = MTP

*Rhapsody Mode = Mass Storage Class/Device = MSC

Putting the Sansa E200/R into Recovery Mode

• Turn the device OFF.
  • Slide the hold switch so that the orange is showing.
  • Hold the REC button on the side of the Sansa.
  • While holding the REC button, press the power button.
  • After the SanDisk logo appears, it should say "Welcome to Recovery Mode".
  • After this appears, the REC button may be released. If the Sansa turns on normally, it is most likely because the REC button was not held in far enough, and these steps must be repeated.

File Descriptions

• Firmware file
    • Often called PP5022.mi4, this is the file that controls most of the Sansa, with the exception of when it turns on.
    • The latest firmware may be downloaded automatically from the Sansa Firmware Updater
    • It is automatically applied to the Sansa when using the Sansa Firmware Updater
  • Sansa.fmt
    • To create this file we will just need to create a new notepad file on the desktop. We can do so by Right-clicking a clear area on the desktop, selecting new and then 'Text Document', once the file appears on the desktop we will need to rename the entire filename and extension to Sansa.FMT. A dialogue box should appear that states "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it", when the change is made. After right-clicking on yes, the Sansa.FMT file is ready for use.
    • This file, though normally not used, can be placed on the Recovery Mode drive to format the main partition, which stores all of the music.
    • This file is often used to fix most problems that are not fixed by replacing the firmware, such as a music file that is corrupt, which occasionally causes the Refresh Database 'window' to freeze.
    • This file's extension must be fmt. The full filename can not be sansa.fmt.txt or similar, and must only be sansa.fmt
  • Other files
    • Unless it is noted in the Manual Firmware Download thread that another file must be included for the firmware to work, do not add any other files to the Recovery Mode drive
    • Do not, under any circumstances, place a file ending in '.bin' on the Recovery Mode drive.
    • If in doubt about placing any other files besides the firmware (and possibly bootloader) onto the Recovery Mode drive, PM a SanDisk moderator, who will be able to help you.

• "Load main image failed, switch to recovery mode"

This error, the most common reason for using Recovery Mode, happens when the firmware is corrupt. Corrupt firmware can not harm the Sansa. In addition, it is fairly easy to fix:
    • Contact SanDisk Technical Support, 866.SanDisk, and obtain the latest .mi4 firmware and Sansa.fmt if applicable.
    • With the Sansa in Recovery Mode, save the mi4 file to the 16MB-FORMAT drive.
    • Do not copy any other files over. The 16MB-FORMAT is not for storing music and other files. The only files that can be copied over are the bootloader, firmware, and sansa.fmt files
    • Disconnect the Sansa.
    • Check to see if the issue has been addressed

Sansa Freezes on "Refresh Database"

This problem has also been heard of, and usually occurs when an MP3 file is corrupt, and causes the database refresh to freeze. It also is fairly easy to fix:
    • Turn off the Sansa, if it is not already off. If needed, hold the power button for 20 seconds to force it off.
    • Place the Sansa in recovery mode by following the steps above.
    • Place the sansa.fmt file in Recovery Mode. Please note placing this file in Recovery Mode will format your Sansa. That means it will delete all the music that is stored on the player itself.
    • Remove the Sansa, and wait for it to format.
    • Turn off the 'hold' feature and restart the Sansa (if needed) and
    • check to see if issues have been addressed

What's special about the Sansa e200R Rhapsody?

The Sansa e200R Rhapsody  is made to use every aspect of Rhapsody.  Drag and drop tracks and albums from the Music Guide, playlists from Playlist Central, and even Rhapsody Channels to your player. With the appropriate membership, it's all yours to transfer and take with you, for no additional charge.*

Your  Sansa e200R Rhapsody comes pre-loaded with a variety of playlists and Channels for you to try. If you like the songs, you can choose to add them to your device library and even purchase them. Don't like a track? Give it the ban rating ( ) and you'll never hear it again. When you connect your device to your computer while you're signed in to your Rhapsody account, the tracks in your Rhapsody Channels will be refreshed, your ratings will transfer to My Library, and anything you want to purchase will be added to your Purchase Bin ( ) in the Sources area.

Every Rhapsody track you add to your player comes with the album art and Music Info that you see in the Music Info area of the Rhapsody Player Controls. Access this and other information by pressing the Select button (the large round button in the middle of the thumbwheel) on your player while the track is playing.

The Sansa e200R Rhapsody  lets you know when you need to reconnect to Rhapsody to refresh your licenses for the downloaded tracks you've transferred. Look for the colored dot beside the battery indicator at the bottom of your player's screen. You can also see your full subscription status information anytime by selecting Settings > Account on your device.

*Not all the music on Rhapsody is available for download and transfer. Some tracks may need to be purchased before they can be transferred.

Tell me about the tracks that are pre-loaded on my device.

A Sansa 200R Rhapsody comes with a variety of Rhapsody Channels and playlists, ready to play out of the box. Every time you connect your device to your computer while signed in to your Rhapsody account, your old Channel tracks are replaced with new ones. This is a great way to find new music.

The pre-loaded tracks take up space on your player just like other tracks. You can use Rhapsody to delete any Channels you don't like, or add more tracks to your device.

All of these tracks are "subscription" tracks--you must renew the track licenses for them at least once in any 30-day period. To renew track licenses, just connect your device to your Rhapsody account. If you do not connect your device to your account at least once per 30-day period, the tracks will eventually expire. (Expired track listings appear gray in color on your device. Expired tracks will not play until their licenses are renewed.)

How do Rhapsody Channels on my Sansa e200R Rhapsody work?

When you transfer a Rhapsody Channel to your Sansa e200R Rhapsody, you are transferring over three hours of music from that Channel's normal song list. Channels on your device play just like they do on Rhapsody - you can skip forward, but not back. Like the song you're hearing? You can add it to your device library or On the Go List, or even add it to your Purchase Bin ( ) in the Rhapsody Sources area.

Tip: you can add a song to your device library, purchase, or rate with just one button push. On your player, go to Settings>Press and Hold to choose what happens when you press and hold the Select button.

Every time you connect to Rhapsody, you get a fresh selection of tracks for each Channel, programmed by our talented editors. You can add any Rhapsody Channel to your device, including Artist Channels, Custom Channels, and My Rhapsody Channel.

You cannot add live, streaming radio stations to your Sansa e200R Rhapsody.

Note: See your Rhapsody e200R documentation for more information about your device, the device library, and the On the Go list.

Can I delete some or all of the Channels on my Sansa e200R Rhapsody?

Absolutely. It's simple to delete Channels from your player:

1. Connect your player to your computer while you are signed in to your Rhapsody account.

2. Click your player name in the Sources area to view its contents in the Display area.

3. Click the Rhapsody Channels tab in the Display area.

4. Select any Channel you wish to delete.

5. Press [DELETE] on your keyboard.

How do I know when to renew the subscription tracks on my player?

Your Sansa e200R Rhapsody will warn you when your subscription tracks (including Rhapsody Channels and Dynamic playlists) need to be renewed. (To renew your subscription tracks, simply connect your player to your computer while you are signed in to your Rhapsody account.)

There are two places on your player to check your subscription track status:

• The status bar at the bottom of your player display. Must connect your device or you will not be able to play them.
  •  

OR

• The Account screen in your player's Settings menu.

• Settings>Account on your player to view the Account screen.

The Rhapsody Account screen will display:

1. The date you last renewed

2. The date your subscription tracks are due to expire

3. How many days you have left before you must reconnect your device to your Rhapsody account

Note: See your Rhapsody e200R documentation for more information about your device menus.

What is the MicroSD card, and how do I use it?

The MicroSD card is extra storage for your Sansa e200R Rhapsody

Your Sansa e200R Rhapsody comes with a MicroSD card slot that lets you use removable MicroSD cards to add memory to your player. You can manage your MicroSD card with Rhapsody as long as you insert the card before you connect your player. An inserted MicroSD card will appear in the Sources area.

What you can do with a MicroSD card and Rhapsody:

• Transfer and play purchased and downloaded Rhapsody tracks, as well local tracks imported from CD or downloaded from the internet.
  • Use any number of MicroSD cards.
  • Use your MicroSD card in any Sansa e200R Rhapsody authorized to your account.
  • Note:Playlists and Rhapsody Channels cannot be transferred to MicroSD cards at this time.

Warning: You cannot "hot-swap" MicroSD cards. Always disconnect your player and allow it to finish restarting before switching cards, or data will be lost.

****** Please feel free to post your suggestions for FAQs below. Replies to this thread will be deleted and added to the current FAQ in order to maintain ease of use. Credit will be given to the poster of a FAQ that is added on to the current list. Please DO NOT post in this thread with any issues or concerns. Thank you in advance for your suggestions. ******

Message Edited by MrSmileyFace on 09-24-2007 03:20 PM

Message Edited by MrSmileyFace on 09-24-2007 03:21 PM
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Best Regards,
    Sansa Mod. Team
    Highlighted

Re: E200R General FAQs

Help!

I have a Sansa MP3 playe for quite a few years now. I have always dowloaded and baught music from Wal Mart.com. Now that walmart no longer sells music downloads I switched to Rapsoldy. I downloaded the program signed up and purchased songs. I transfered soung to my player. My player already had hundreds of songs that were in the windows music player. Yesterday I turned on my player and everything is gone, both old music and new. Now I have some strange little green ball on the screen next to my battery indicator. What have I done, what do I do now ?