Highlighted
SanDisk User

micro SD card questions

I have not yet purchased a micro SD card for my e280 (version 1), but realized I have some very basic questions which I wonder if you'd be willing to explain:

1. Does the player index the tracks on a micro SD card along with the tracks on the player's internal memory? 
    So if you remove the card it has to re-index the database?

2. Can the card be inserted while the player is already ON, or does it need to be inserted before turning it ON?

3. I was leaning towards getting a 4 GB card and looking into Rockbox. 
    I read on one of the help pages of rockbox.org that if the card is bigger than 2 GB, you have to load the tracks onto the card directly from the computer (because the e280 won't recognize cards bigger than 2 GB). 
    But the cards I have been looking at did not come with a micro/SD adapter, and I don't think my computer's card reader can take micro cards directly?
    (It has a 9 in 1 card reader with a MMC/SD slot). 
    Have Rockbox users had to get a micro/SD adapter to load your tracks?

4. Is there a noticable difference in speed from cards of different class?  2 vs 4 vs 6?

Thanks!
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: micro SD card questions

1.  Yes.  The files on the card will blend in seamlessly with the files on the internal memory.  You will see a little icon next to the files that are on the card.  The player will need to refresh the database upon inserting and removing.  Well, on removing it might not need to do as much refreshing since it already knows which files were on the card.

2.  You can insert while the player is either on or off, but it is probably safer (to prevent damage to the card) to only insert and remove while the player is off.  Never try to remove the card while the player is accessing it as this could permanently damage the card.

3.  You need a reader that will accept microSD or Transflash or else use one of those SD adapters in order to use a microSD(HC) card in a card reader.  You can get a very cheap ($1.64 shipped -- or 3 or more for $0.99 each) tiny USB card reader here.  There is a work around for putting files on the card with rockbox.  First, temporarily put the files on the internal memory.  Next, boot rockbox and use it to transfer the files from internal memory over to the card using the Files view context menu cut and paste options.  (Enter the context menu in rockbox by holding down the center select button until the context menu pops up.)  It is not the most convenient way to do it, but it works well if you put all the files you wish to have on the card into a new folder in the internal memory, and then use rockbox to transfer the whole folder all in one go rather than transferring a bunch of files individually.  I have an internal card reader that reads microSD(HC) cards.

4.   I have a 4GB class 6, but I don't have a class 4 to compare it to.  The class rating directly relates to the transfer rates, so a class 6 card will transfer 6GB of information in the time it would take a class 4 card to transfer 4GB, all other things being equal.  I think you will notice a bigger difference when transferring files from the computer to the card as opposed to how long it takes the player to access the card since the player probably only buffers a little bit of the file at a time while its playing it.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Thanks so much, Markster!
Highlighted

I bought 2 1GB Sandisk microSD cards and it came with a microSD-to SD adaptor cards. 
MP3 Players- ZEN Stone, MuVo N200. Sony NWZ-A815,NWD-B103F,NW-E105,NW-S203F,NW-S705F,Sansa E260,Samsung YP-S2,YP-K3