how can i delete/copy music/video's from my sansa ?

i used my e280 as a giant flash stick which also played music for a while but i got tired of the whole hold down the left side to get it into MSC mode thing so i went ahead and upped the firmware ( Version V02.01.16A if it means anything to anyone) however now i have no way to retrieve my documents, movies or music, since i sold my old laptop which was the final archive of my stuff.  The only things i really care about are how to get my documents off and remove the videos so i can use all the space for music, since that seems to be all that is allowed by sandisk now.  Windows (XP pro) see's the sansa as an empty 640MB device at the moment and i have tried the basic show hidden folders, open with 'explore' , make a copy of it on the hard drive and try it as well as searching online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-- Christophe

SanDisk Guru

Re: how can i delete/copy music/video's from my sansa ?

Try both USB modes, MSC and MTP, and see what you can find in Computer or My Computer when you hook up. Windows sees different parts of the Sansa in each mode.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers

yeah, i tried both, how do you access from anything but My Computer ?
SanDisk Professor

How do you know your data is still there?
Is this the right room for an argument?
SanDisk Guru

Connect in MSC mode, and access the Sansa from the PC.  It sounds like your files were transferred my manually forcing an MSC connection, yes?

Using My Computer / Windows Explorer, you should be able to see your files.  Did you simply drag and drop them to the root directory, or to folders?

If you transfer data in one USB mode, the files are not visible while in the other mode, even while selecting "show hidden files" .  

Bob  Smiley Very Happy 

i know the video's are still there because i see them when i load the sansa on it's own ( although i can't delete them ) , and i assume the other documents are there because i have no reason to think they would disappear randomly.  that being said i don't understand why my 8gb player is being seen as a 642 mb empty player ( it sounds like about what was left of empty space before).  i also synced the music with WMP before i sold my old laptop, that might have had some effect i guess ( it was much faster than my normal windows device access, for some reason i am not sure of, which was different than how i normally do it
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Sync with Windows Media Player = MTP.

Transfer via Windows Explorer = MSC.

As explained above, one mode does not let your computer see material transferred in the other mode. 

Put the unit in the mode the material was transferred, and if you are using MTP then open WMP (which has to be version 10 or 11) and you should see what you transferred.

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 08-24-2008 10:40 AM
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers