Accepted Solution

frozen on refresh data & cannot recognize to update

My e250 freezes on refresh database but my pc does not recognize it to download update. Help?
SanDisk Guru

Re: frozen on refresh data & cannot recognize to update

FAQ
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk Guru

Try turning the player off, and then connect to the PC.  It should bypass the database refresh process and make a connection.  You can then try to fix it, usually by reformatting.

Thanks Markster. I've tried to plug in when the sansa is off but once plugged in it tunrs on and goes directly to database refresh and freezes. It may be garbage but if there's something else to try I would like to get it playing again. I recently tried to download the firmwear update for my daughter's sansa and each time I try it eventually says unsuccessful, try again? Help?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

If you have a v1 model player you can try recovery mode.  When it powers up you will first see the Sandisk logo.  If you see a blue Sansa below Sandisk you have a v2 and no recovery mode.  Otherwise, you have a v1.  Another way to determine the model is to look at the back cover of the player, usually in the extreme lower right corner.  If it says e2x0v2 you have a v2.

Assuming you have a v1 (or R) model,

Turn the player off.

Slide the HOLD button to the locked position (towards headphone jack).

Press and hold RECORD button while connecting to PC.

Release RECORD when you see "welcome to recovery mode" on player LCD.

Open My Computer and check for new removable drive labeled 16MB-FORMAT.

VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DIRECTLY FORMAT THE 16MB-FORMAT VOLUME!!!

We do not directly format the recovery partition, which will render the player inoperable, although there is a very complicated fix even for that blunder.  Instead, we tell the player to format its user partition (the one we put the media files on) by putting a directory named sansa.fmt in the recovery partition's root directory.  Here's how: Go to the root directory of the 16MB-FORMAT drive and create a new folder.  Rename the folder sansa.fmt.  Use safely remove hardware icon.  Unplug from PC.  Pay careful attention to the player's LCD screen for any messages.  It should say formatting... followed by format complete.  Note: Formatting does delete all of your media content.  You will need to reload any and all photos, music files, videos, etc.

If you have a v2 player, just keep trying the following over and over again:

Turn player off.

Slide HOLD to locked position (towards headphone jack)

Press and hold |<< button while connecting to PC.

Release |<< when you see "Connected" on the player's LCD.

If you get the refresh database screen, power off and try, try again.

Once you get to the connected screen, you will be connected to the PC in MSC mode.  That's what HOLD + |<< does on the v2 models -- forces connection in MSC mode.  Once connected in MSC mode you can go to My Computer again and this time right-click on the drive letter Windows assigns to the Sansa.  Select format from the popup context menu and select FAT32 as the format type.

There are a number of potential causes for the database refresh lockup error.  Some of the problems involve invalid id3 tags or invalid characters inside some of the tags.  Get a program called mp3tag and use it to blank out any and all comment tags.  For best results, set the write format to id3v2.3 iso-8859-1.

It's also a good idea to update your firmware to the latest and greatest version.  The latest versions tend to be more robust in dealing with the same files that will cause earlier firmware versions to lockup on the refresh database screen.

Thanks Markster,

I've got it working again!!

OK, I've made the mistake of a direct format on my e250.  What is the complicated fix?
SanDisk Guru

If by direct format you mean that you clicked Format... in Windows Explorer, you may be fine. All that should do is remove whatever content you have added. Just turn it off and on again.  Or reformat to FAT32, which is what should have come up as the default choice. 

If you formatted the 16MB-FORMAT partition, then welcome to the Linux geekness of E200tool in the famous Blue Ring of Death thread.

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk Guru

@ds987 wrote:
OK, I've made the mistake of a direct format on my e250.  What is the complicated fix?

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33823

Everytime I try this process I get keylocked