Highlighted
JML

e250 v 1 Folders that show up when connected do not match those on player when unconnected

When I connect the device to the computer It shows folders called Photo,Record,Video and tmp.If I add music or voice files to these folders they show up on the computer but do not show up on the device when I disconnect it from the computer.They are apparently on the device since when I plug it back into the computer they show up but I can't find the darn things when I want to listen to them on the device???
SanDisk Guru

Re: e250 v 1 Folders that show up when connected do not match those on player when unconnected

There is also a folder named MUSIC, which is usually hidden either by Windows or by the Sansa, not sure which.  The best thing to do is ignore the MUSIC folder and create a new folder, such as MYMUSIC and put all of your music into that folder instead.  It doesn't matter the name of the folder you put your music into just so long as you have the ID3 tags properly set to ID3v2.3 iso-8859-1 format.  Use a program like MP3Tag to set your tags in the format expected (no, demanded) by the Sansa.
SanDisk Guru

Re: e250 v 1 Folders that show up when connected do not match those on player when unconnected

The Sansa doesn't care what folders the files are in. It looks for ID3 tags, which are part of the mp3 files. Full explanation here
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
JML

What an unbelievable hassle!I'm glad I only paid $12 for this piece of junk.Refurbished.
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

First of all, don't put things in TMP. That folder gets erased regularly. TMP = Temporary. 

--------------

As suggested above, put your music into your own folder. Mine is called HORRIBLE NOISE.  I used to have a scarier name for it, CELINE DION, but that really frightened me. 

--------------

You might be able to fix all your tags at once if the files already have any kind of tags. Should take a maximum of 10 minutes. 

Put all your album folders in one folder. Get mp3tag and install it and open it. Under Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg check all the boxes for Read,  and for Write check ID3v2 and under that ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Click OK. You'll never have to touch that setting again.

Under File, use Change Directory to go to your music folder and go to one album within it, just to get started.  Mp3tag will list the filenames and tags. Highlight the whole list and on the left side, blank out Comments just to be safe (because people put all kinds of useless junk in Comments). Under File, click Save Tags. Done.

You can do that album by album. Or if you're feeling lucky, you could Change Directory to do everything in your music folder at once--though I'd still suggest blanking out Comments. 

-----------------

Now for the philosophical discussion. 

Is this your first mp3 player?

ID3 tags are not usually a hassle, and it's the standard way mp3 players work. If you think about it, it's an improvement over file-and-folder because you can find your music in a lot of different ways. That's why, when the mp3 format was invented, ID3 tags were part of it. 

Using ID3 tags means you can find music by artist, song title, album title, etc., so you don't have to remember the exact folder name and file name of the song you want.  (For instance, some of the album folders in my Albums folder start with the year--1991 Metallica Black Album. I'd have to remember what year the album came out to find it!)

When you buy music online it comes already tagged. If you rip your own CDs with programs like Windows Media Player or iTunes, they automatically get the tags online. Every so often, for an old CD or something, you might have to spend a few minutes putting on tags--and a program like mp3tag will make tags from filenames for you automatically. So it's only as big a deal as you want to make it. 

However, if you just have to have file-and-folder, you probably can since you have a refurb. Look at Settings/Info/Firmware Version. If it starts with 1.x you have a v1 Sansa and you can install a free alternate firmware called  Rockbox and use file-and-folder. (If it's 3.x, the v2 Sansa, then Rockbox is still working on that so you can't--yet.) It's a little geeky, and you still have to use the Sansa firmware to transfer music, but it's an option for 1.x players. 

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 11-17-2008 12:03 PM
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers