Highlighted
SanDisk User

e250 music is disapearing

I have a sansa e250 2 gb player with a 2gb card.  Some of my music is just gone.  It's not even listed on my artist list or song list.  When I hook it up to my computer and access the lists thru My Computer the bands are listed, the songs are listed but they are not simply not there!

I re-ripped the music from the CDs and re-synched.  I allowed the player to sit for a couple minuets.  I unplugged and it refreshed.  When I checked the artist list----you guessed it.  The music I had re-ripped is just not there!

I've had this thing a while.  I've never dropped it or left it in the sun.  I've taken great care of it.  I just don't understand why entire bands are going missing and won't accept a sync of these songs!

I'd appreciate any help on this.  Please tell me what to do in simple, plain language; I am not exactly computer savvy.

Some other details....My PC is running Windows XP; all our CDs are copies of our originals.  All the original CDs were copied to an external hard drive. 

I have tried to add music from my external hard drive to Windows Media Player, then to sync with Sansa player....nothing there on player after syncing

I have tried ripping music from these CDs to Windows Media Player....still nothing shows up on my MP3 player

This is all music that had been on my player forever and then for seemingly no reason, just vanished and I cannot seem to get it back onto the player

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: e250 music is disapearing

Having it there and vanish is really odd behavior.  So we're going to have to try a few possibilities. 

First, look in Settings/USB Mode on the Sansa. Does it show MTP? It needs to be in MTP to connect to Windows Media Player. It has two modes: MTP for Windows Media Player to control it, and MSC to work like a basic disc drive. 

If there is no USB Mode listed under settings, you owe it to yourself to update the firmware.  There are sticky notes near the top of the forum page with good clear instructions on how to do that. Don't install Sansa Updater--just do it one time manually. For all I know, a firmware update might be all you need, and you could skip the rest of this. 

Sync tells Windows Media Player to make the Sansa match what is in the WMP library. If the song isn't in the WMP library, Sync will erase it from the Sansa. Could that have happened?

Also, have you looked for your songs under Unknown in Artists or Albums? The problem may be ID3 tags.

The Sansa gets its Album, Artist, etc. lists from ID3 tags that are within the mp3 files. If those tags are not there, or they are in a format the Sansa doesn't read, the Album, Artist, etc. won't show up in the listings even with the songs on the unit. 

Windows Media Player could be writing them in a version the Sansa can't read--or it may not be getting them at all. 

If you do see a huge number of songs in Unknown, let's try an experiment. 

Look at the instructions in the ID3 link for mp3tag. Install it--it's small and free--and change the default under Tools/Options/Tags/Mpegs to Write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1, the kind of tags the Sansa likes. 

Then go to one of the albums on your hard drive, right-click on the folder and click on the mp3tag option (probably listed on the menu just below Search...)  to open the folder. It should show all the songs on the album. See if they have Artist and Album information listed. As long as they do, highlight them all and Save them, which will make mp3tag rewrite the tags as ID3v2.3. 

Delete the album from the Sansa via WMP if WMP can see it. 

Now switch USB mode to MSC, go into My Computer, open the Sansa or card drive and drag the newly tagged album in. Disconnect, let it refresh, and see if you can see the album tags.

MSC lets you just drag-and-drop folders onto the unit without WMP adding or changing anything. Since they are your own CDs, and not music bought online, you really don't need WMP at all--and WMP sometimes just messes things up for reasons unknown.

It would take some time initially, but you could resolve the problem by cutting WMP out of the equation entirely, emptying the unit and putting all your albums back on with proper tags in MSC mode. To empty the unit, leave it in MSC mode, right-click on the Sansa in my computer and Format... to FAT32, which ERASES COMPLETELY everything on the unit. (Make sure you have copies of everything elsewhere.) If you're having the same problems with the card, format the card too. 

Then run each album through mp3tag, saving the tags so they are definitely ID3v2.3, and drag them over.  You'll have good tags, you should be able to see everything in My Computer, and the Sansa should be happy again. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I'm gonna go thru this little by little so I don't confuse myself.  Here's my first problem:

First, look in Settings/USB Mode on the Sansa. Does it show MTP? It needs to be in MTP to connect to Windows Media Player. It has two modes: MTP for Windows Media Player to control it, and MSC to work like a basic disc drive. 

I'd had it in MSC mode.  I switched to MTP mode and when I brought everything up thru My Computer, I cannot access the memory card.  Then I went to Windows Media Player and it will only allow me to sync music to the player--the "next device" option for the memory card is simply not there.  Both my player & the memory card are *almost* full.  I could probably get about 20 or 30 songs I would guess

"Sync tells Windows Media Player to make the Sansa match what is in the WMP library. If the song isn't in the WMP library, Sync will erase it from the Sansa. Could that have happened?"

If this were the case....wouldn't ALL my music be disapearing?  I have over 700 songs between the playe & the memory card.  None of this music is stored in the WMP library

About all the other stuff about ID tags....I'm gonna leave that as a desperate last resort.  It looks very complicated  :-D  For now, I will try to update the firmware

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

If it was in MSC mode, that's a relief--at least you don't have to deal with Windows Media Player at all. And you won't have to format and start over.

When you update the firmware it will switch to MTP or Auto Detect, so change it back to MSC. 

Your first post talked about synching, which is why I suspected WMP. 

Your computer can only see one mode at a time--MTP or MSC--so that's why Windows Media Player doesn't see the songs. That's all good. 

Since you have been all-MSC, that makes it more likely that it's the ID3 tags. Have you looked in Unknown for your songs? 

Explaining mp3tag is a lot more complicated than actually using it. Try it on an album and you'll see.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Ech, I haven't had the patience to deal with this thing.

A long while ago I noticed a Johnny Cash song was missing.  I never replaced it because it came from my brother-in-law's CD--long story.  All the other Cash songs from that CD remained on my player.

After updating the firmware a couple days ago, I took to 2 bands that were missing from my player:  Flyleaf, and System of a Down.  I synced the songs to the player, not the memory card.

Flyleaf is there.

System of a Down is not there.

After using my player at work today, I noticed it skipped a few songs----because they are gone!  Just gone.  They were there a few months ago, last week and now just totally gone.

These missing songs are not listed in Unknown.  They are just gone.  I have (had) almost 800 songs on this thing and my patince is quick to run out with electronics in general--esp this mp3 player.

Just like the Johnny Cash song (today it's actually songS) it's simply not listed in menu of songs.  Band names are not listed under Artist.

This is the 2nd Sansa I've had and I remember having probs with my old 1gb player.  By now I'm wondering can it really be me?  I mean, do iPod users have this problem?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

What's your firmware version?
Highlighted
SanDisk User

version 1.02.24a
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Even more mysterious. The 3.x firmware has a Delete function on the unit, but not the 1.x.

When you connect the Sansa to your computer,  can you see the folders for Johnny Cash, SOAD, etc.? Are the song files still in them?

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Alright--this is getting strange & frustrating!

When I hook up player to my computer and access the files thru My Computer:

On the Sansa:

Johnny Cash is listed--everything including the missing songs

SOAD is listed--everything

I know for a fact that I synced 4 songs of Flyleaf to the player--it's not there on the player music files....

On the memory card:

Flyleaf--only one song (not all four)

Earlier this week I realized Amy Whinehouse wasn't playing.  It's showing up on the files when accessed thru My Computer (on the mem card) however it's the same scenario as the others.  When I scroll through the songs/artists listings directly from my player menu---poor Amy is missing

I can only imagine what else is missing because there's so much.

When I first got the player forever ago (a couple years maybe) I had some Denis Leary synced to player in my first round of adding music to it.  About a month ago, Denis Leary disapeared.  I put it back on & haven't had any problems with it.  However, as you can see, this is happening more and more with other stuff.

I recently added Ray Charles from a new, store bought CD and have no problems with that music.

I then added Brian Welch from a new, store bought CD---a couple weeks later, all the Welch songs vanished!  Yet Charles remains.

As for the four Flyleaf songs....I have no idea why there is only one song listed now

I could even at least understand a little of what has been going on if these CDs had been junked out copies of copies.  But more times than not, it's CDs I cracked the seal on myself!  Or purchased thru Amazon MP3, or Rhapsody

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

According to your firmware version you have a v1 unit. I've looked back over this thread, and forgive me if I missed it, but I didn't see where you had tried formatting the player. Have you? For some strange reason, v1 models tend to have more problems with file corruption than their v2 counterparts. They also seem to benefit from an occasional re-formatting of their memory.

Based on how much music you say is missing, I'd say you don't have much to lose. Formatting the player will erase all content (not firmware or operating files), but it will optimize your memory allocation clusters for maximum performance & give you a clean slate from which to start over.

Re-loading everything might sound like a major PITA, but if it helps it will be worth it. I would format it, re-load and keep an eye on it in the near future to see if anything else disappears. This might just solve your problem. If not, well then you got some good practice. Smiley Wink