Highlighted

e250 mtp error

[ Edited ]
I can't seem to get my dell x300 laptop to recognize my e250.  Portable device shows up in device manager.  MTP Device under it has a yellow exclamation.  Under general tab, it says Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18).  I try to reinstall by manually (auto just causes drivers to not be found) forcing to MTP device and I get this error:
"This device is not working properly because the controlling firmware is reporting the resources for the device incorrectly. (Code 9)."  I run this same unit on my desktop PC with no problems at all, so I know it's not the e250.  I've run all the other recommendations (MTP toolkit, DRM hotfix, etc.).

Forcing e250 to MSC, does cause 2 mass storage drives to show up and I can access them. 

I'm running WMP11 on WinXP with SP2

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
LMC13

Message Edited by lmc13 on 09-01-2007 09:18 AM

Message Edited by lmc13 on 09-01-2007 09:19 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: e250 mtp error

The MTP drivers that are on your computer, may be corrupt or possibly not installed correctly. Try to uninstall windows media player and re-install it (due to the mtp drivers come from microsoft, and are bundled with WMP10&11) see if that helps
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
I removed WMP11, which caused it to roll back to 10.  But when I got to 10, it was all in Chinese.  Then it must have asked about auto update and downloaded 11 again.  Same results though.  In device manager, Portable Device is listed, then under that it shows MTP.  The drivers for MTP seem correct as wpdusb.sys and wudfrd.sys .  When I plug in the player it starts the "Found New Hardware Wizard" for MTP device and that always ends with "Cannot Install this Hardware".

I copied over wpdusb.sys and wudfrd.sys from my working desktop computer and that didn't help either.

I also tried to remove the driver for the MTP device and then plug back in.  Windows recognizes as a "USB 2.0 Device".  If I do automatic install, it comes back with no driver found for your device.  If I do manual install I get the following Update Driver Warning:

"Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware.  If the driver is not compatible, your hardware will not work correctly and your computer might become unstable or stop working completely. Do you want to continue installing this driver?"

After that, I get "Cannot Start this Hardware", aka Code 10.

After that, I tried installing Sansa updater, but it has brain cramp and does the "can't run and do you want to send an error report?" thing.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Larry

Message Edited by lmc13 on 09-02-2007 03:58 AM

Message Edited by lmc13 on 09-02-2007 04:52 AM

Message Edited by lmc13 on 09-02-2007 04:57 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

hmm Code 10 normally is an issue with not having enough power. Are you by any chance using a Laptop? In any event, try it on another computer to see if its a mp3 player issue or the computer, although it seems to be the computer. Also you may want to completely uninstall any form of WMP (including 10) and download 11 fresh from the microsoft update instead of updating from 10 to 11 which would effectively be building on bad drivers to begin with
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I have been having this exact issue with my e260.   does sandisk have a site to download the specific drivers that we need?  Or is this something we have to rely exclusively on WMP for?
Highlighted

I completely unloaded WMP 10 & 11 and reloaded 11 from Microsoft.  Same issue.  I have a friend with a Sansa and decided to give her's a try.  On my desktop, both worked, but on my laptop, only her's worked.  While her's gets recognized fine, mine looks for a driver.  The only difference between the two is the firmware version.  She has very old firmware (01.00.12A) and mine has the latest (01.02.18A).  Could it be that SanDisk broke something in updating their firmware?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

one way to try is to downgrade to .12a, sandisk still has it up somewhere. Give it a shot. If i find the link ill provide it, if you searched the forum for it, im sure you would find it.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

I'd be more than glad to try 12a.  If you find a place to download it, let me know.

Thanks,
Larry
Highlighted

Highlighted

Thanks for the link.  I downgraded to 12A.  The result is the player shows up in device manager as a mass storage device, even though the player is in MTP mode.  Strange though, a drive letter never shows up.  I decided to go to the opposite end of the spectrum and load 01.30.01H BETA.  Very cool version with instant on.  With this version it doesn't have an MTP mode, but an auto mode.  When I set to auto, it acts the same as MTP mode in vers 12A except the drives do show up.  One down fall though, when I disconnect, the database refreshes.  I had mentioned I have an e250, but actually it's an e280.  The database refresh with 7.5G of files is painfully slow.  I took my friends e250 and updated it to 01.02.18A and it still recognizes fine as an MTP device.  So, I don't think this is a firmware version issue.  With version '01H, my e280 still recognizes fine as MTP on my desktop computer.  Maybe this is some weird issue with the USB hardware on my Dell laptop? 

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for all the help so far!
Larry