Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

e200v1 and v2: Firmware info and notes

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I've been working with Jake on getting user downloadable firmware's hosted online for everyone. I realize some have had issues with the firmware updater, so hopefully this should help.

Big thanks to Jake and his friend for the ftp access.

Hosted here is the e200 v1 and v2's latest firmware.

For v1 - The latest version available for download is 01.02.18 for Americas/Europe and 01.02.20 for Pacific Region.

For v2 -
The  latest version available for download is 03.01.14 .

Instructions are below.

Version 1 Players Only

First, verify that your e200 is a v1. This can be found by going over to Settings > Info, and verify that "Version" starts with V01.

Once this has been verified, go ahead and proceed with the firmware update steps below.

If you do not have a v1, do not upgrade your firmware to this a different version! This could render your player useless!

Download the firmwares by clicking on the links below. Be sure to select the region you are in for full compatibility.

--------------

AMERICAS - 01.02.18a for Americas

EUROPE (No FM) - 01.02.18e for Europe without FM

EUROPE (FM) - 01.02.18f for Europe with FM

PACIFIC - 01.02.20p for Pacific

-----------------

• Once downloaded, extract the .zip file into a folder (take not to remembere where you saved it).
  • Next, change the device's mode from MTP to MSC by going to "Settings" then "USB Mode", then selecting MSC.
  • Next, connect the device to the computer and it should show up with a drive letter. In the root directory of the Sansa e200v1, add the firmware files you just extracted from the zip.

• Once its been added, disconnect the device, it will then say that it is upgrading the firmware. It will eventually turn off. Once it turns off, turn it back on, and it should ask you for a language to select. Once the language is chosen, head to Settings > Info and verify that the "Version" is the same as the latest verstion, mentioned above.

Version 2 Players Only

First, verify that your e200 is a v2. This can be found by looking on the back plate and on the bottom right, it should say e200 v2. In addition to that, go to Settings > Info, and verify that "Version" starts with V03.

Once this has been verified, go ahead and proceed with the firmware update steps below.

If you do not have a v2, do not upgrade your firmware! This could break your player!

Download the firmwares by clicking on the links below. Be sure to select the region you are in for full compatibility.

------------------------------ 

AMERICAS - 03.01.14a for Americas

EUROPE - 03.01.14e for Europe

PACIFIC - 03.01.14p for Pacific

------------------------

• Once downloaded, connect the Sansa e200 v2 to the computer.
  • Extract the .zip file.
  • Add the firmware file you just extracted to the root directory of the Sansa e200 v2.

• Once its been added, disconnect the device, it will then say that it is upgrading the firmware. It will eventually turn off. Once it turns off, turn it back on, and it should ask you for a language to select. Once the language is chosen, head to Settings > Info and verify that the "Version" is V03.01.14.

Message Edited by MrSmileyFace on 01-23-2008 07:26 PM
----------------------------------------------------
Best Regards,
Sansa Mod. Team
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: e200v1 and v2: Firmware info and notes

Yes, but rather than risk downloading the wrong firmware, why not just go to the SanDisk website for downloads and install the firmware updater?  It will automatically check for new firmware for your unit each time you connect to your PC.  And it will only download the correct firmware for your unit.
SanDisk Professor

sometimes the firmware updater does not work properly... I know people who have trouble running the updater.
SanDisk Guru

Thank you for posting this Mr. Smileyface.

I'm very glad to see official firmware up here for do-it-yourselfers. This is much better than having to go to some mysterious user's Rapidshare page that may be bogus, may have malware, may not be updated, etc.

I have no love for the firmware updater because it tries to connect every time I boot up--for what, an update that might occur every 90 days, or never? I have uninstalled it.

(I don't let any other automatic updaters run either. Seems like every piece of software in the world thinks we have nothing better to do but to wait at bootup while it calls home. But I digress...)

Having the firmware available separately makes sense for those of us who don't want to have the updater running, for people who don't have administrative rights, for people whose firewalls stop the updater from running, and for lots of other contingencies. And many people like to have control of their own software and hardware.

The instructions in the first post make things as idiot-proof as possible, and people who do a do-it-yourself installation should certainly be willing to take a little responsibility. The firmware programmers should also be able to write in something so that the firmware recognizes whether it's on the correct unit. Maybe it does already--I'm not going to try installing the wrong firmware to find out.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers

[ Edited ]

My original purchased Sansa e280R (so labeled with a Rhapsody logo) failed, and Sandisk replaced it with a e280R, which in fact now is a REAL "Rhapsody" player.

I have NO idea, why Sandisk, would place a "Rhapsody" logo on a plain vanilla e280, labeled on the back e280R. I originally never heard of Rhapsody, neither DID I WANT this, as I bought the unit for listening to e-books, and Audible.... The e280 is supposed to be able to play Audible books as per the manual and technical data sheet that came with my original purchase (Originally bought from BUY.COM, and NOT Best Buy or Rhapsody site..... so how the confusion occurred, is beyond my comprehension).  The purchase was made based on Sandisk's Technical data sheet, which obviously is not correct.

ANYWAY, to make a long story short, I'm now stuck with a 'nice' MP3 player, with features useless to me, and not able to file, catalog or playback correctly e-books....  I think this replacement unit is a v1 unit.

QUESTION:  Can I replace the Rhapsody firmware 1.02.165 to a plain vanilla e280 ???? and get rid of this Rhapsody fiasco.

Right now the unit scrambles and mixes my MP3 converted audio books, and makes it very difficult to find the books in an orderly manner. The unit reorganizes the files, and lists them as music and shuffles them under all different kind of music, when in fact they are not.

Any help would be welcome on this disaster !

TIA...

Message Edited by BoomBoom on 01-30-2008 01:42 AM
SanDisk Guru

BoomBoom wrote:

My original purchased Sansa e280R (so labeled with a Rhapsody logo) failed, and Sandisk replaced it with a e280R, which in fact now is a REAL "Rhapsody" player.

I have NO idea, why Sandisk, would place a "Rhapsody" logo on a plain vanilla e280, labeled on the back e280R. I originally never heard of Rhapsody, neither DID I WANT this, as I bought the unit for listening to e-books, and Audible.... The e280 is supposed to be able to play Audible books as per the manual and technical data sheet that came with my original purchase (Originally bought from BUY.COM, and NOT Best Buy or Rhapsody site..... so how the confusion occurred, is beyond my comprehension).  The purchase was made based on Sandisk's Technical data sheet, which obviously is not correct.

ANYWAY, to make a long story short, I'm now stuck with a 'nice' MP3 player, with features useless to me, and not able to file, catalog or playback correctly e-books....  I think this replacement unit is a v1 unit.

QUESTION:  Can I replace the Rhapsody firmware 1.02.165 to a plain vanilla e280 ???? and get rid of this Rhapsody fiasco.

Right now the unit scrambles and mixes my MP3 converted audio books, and makes it very difficult to find the books in an orderly manner. The unit reorganizes the files, and lists them as music and shuffles them under all different kind of music, when in fact they are not.

TIA...

Even if you change it to a regular e200, as opposed to rhapsody version, you would still have the same effect with your audio books. When did you purchase your player, and did you originally purchase a Rhapsody player or a regular e200 (should specifiy on a reciept if you are unsure).
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

I have a sansa e270 (marked as, simply, e270). I checked the settings >> info >> version, and it says 01.02.18A. I think that means it's a v1, but i just want to confirm.
SanDisk Senior User

mr smiley faces post tells you that 01.xx is a v1 and 03.xx is a v2 . back of your player lower rt hand corner will be a vesion no. after your player no.
mike

But as stated in another thread, the the label may not be right and the only way to really be sure is by the firmware. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing my e270 up.
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

@BoomBoom wrote:

TIA...

BoomBoom,

The solution to your Audible needs is the v2 e280.  This machine has the same processor as the Sansa Clip, and does handle Audible books very well.  For audiobooks loaded as MP3 conversions, the Sansa Rhapsody or the e280v2 should handle them the same way, as ID3 tagged mp3 files.  To be sure that your books (in mp3 format) progress correctly, you will need to edit the ID3 tags using WiMP 10/11 or an editing utility like Media Monkey or MP3 Tag.

If you do some searching here, there are a few postings regarding editing of the ID3 tags, plus the correct version for the e280 to catalog best.

To find out exactly which version e280 you have, just pull up settings > info and read us the firmware version.

If it is a Sansa Rhapsody version, the unit can't readily be reflashed as a basic "vanilla" v1 player.

Hope this helps!

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-08-2008 04:59 PM