Accepted Solution

can't find mp3 files on sd card

was told to post this here.......

Hiya I have a e280 v1 and love it, have had very few probs with it.

I've just put some audio books onto the sd card and it's not finding them. I've got others on there and it's finding those so it's found the card. I've checked and they have the file ex .mp3 so I don't see why. The genres were a bit messed up but I've fixed that.

Any other ideas why it's not finding them?

SanDisk Guru

Re: can't find mp3 files on sd card

The ID3 tag version may be wrong.

They should be ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

If they are ID3v1 the Sansa won't read them. Other ID3v2.x versions do various things.

Solution: Get the free program  mp3tag.

Install it and check to have it add itself to context menus as it installs.

Open it after installation and go to Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg and choose Write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Save that (it becomes the default).

Navigate to the file with your Audiobook, right-click and choose mp3tag  to open it. Highlight all the files and go to Tools/Auto-Numbering Wizard and choose Leading zeros ... and run it. That will make the track numbers 01,02, etc., and will save everything as ID3v2.3 tags. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers

Hi Clu, thanks heaps for the info.

you know I would love to say that this has fixed it.... but sadly no Smiley Sad

Followed your instructions to the letter and it's still not finding it.

I wonder, would the computer that I am uploading them from make a difference?  I used to use my husbands XP computer that would find the sd card in the player.  My new vista lappy won't find it and I have to go through a card reader slot.  Thing is I can see the files that were on the card before when I look at it through the card reader so I don't see why it would make a difference... but it's something that has changed *shrugs shoulders*

SanDisk Guru

What is the USB Mode (under Settings) on the Sansa?

If it's Auto Detect, it goes to MTP mode if it finds Windows Media Player 10 or 11, MSC mode (plain USB) if it doesn't. XP has WMP 9 so the files may have gone over via MSC. Vista has 10 or 11, so it's switching to MTP. The Sansa should see all the files anyway, but maybe it doesn't.

Anyway, switch to MSC, not Auto Detect. Then Vista should see the two drives. Then try sending the books over again. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers

Hi

thanks heaps, fiddled with the connection mode and it found the card.  Adding the files that way rather than through a card reader has meant I can see the files on my sansa.

Faaaab!!

If you want to convert audio files to mp3 for your sandisk sd card, you need the audio converter to help you. It strip drm and transfrom audio files to DRM free files. In this case, you can move the songs anywhere. for more info, visit: move spotify songs to sd card

Highlighted

If you want to convert Spotify Music and Apple Music to mp3 for your sandisk sd card, you need the UkeySoft Apple Music & Spotify Music Converter to help you. It can help you remove drm and  convert Apple Music to MP3 and convert Spotify Music to MP3. In this case, you can transfer the songs to SD Card and any MP3 player.