Highlighted
dgk

Would a bad battery cause...

I spoke to support about my e250 screen showing what looks like a bat head and a feather. In black and white. It used to show the normal colorful menu before I turned it on yesterday and got the strange display. Support says that it might be a bad battery. This is a Woot refurb unit.

The problems started when I plugged it into the USB slot on my computer so I could transfer some songs. It seemed to work fine but it had a bat head and feather displayed. I also couldn't find the Data directory on the unit, just the photos and record directories. Sort of odd.

Anyway, after trying to reboot, I would just get the Bat and Feather. I tried the Hold (on), Record (pressed), Power (click) but all it did was make sure that the Bat and Feather wouldn't turn off.

It really doesn't sound like a battery problem, it sounds like a FU'd unit problem and I should RMA it. I sure don't want to pay for a battery just to find out that the problem is something else.

After the battery went dead (it wouldn't turn off without removing the battery - I've done that also) I tried recharging it, but after a few hours I just displays the Bat and Feather for a few seconds and then goes dead. Argh.

Any ideas?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Would a bad battery cause...

you dont have to buy a battery, its under warranty too.

Sounds like you just need to RMA the player itself anyway to be honost.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

Re: Would a bad battery cause...

Naw, it's a Woot refurb. It's nice that Sandisk is willing to help me with it but it isn't their responsibility to RMA. I sent off a request to Woot for an RMA.

I really liked the e250 though. I looked around to see what I could use as a replacement and the 280 (8gb) is on sale for $119 (same as the 4gb) so I figured that I'd get that one and try the battery in the e250. If it works, then I'll get another battery and give the e250 to a friend. If not, it gets RMAd. I'll keep the case that I got for it though since it fits the 280 (which is charging as I type this).

It's nice to have a machine that shows a bat head and feather, but it isn't too practical as an mp3 player.