Highlighted

White Screen of Death

I've had my e250 for only two days now and it's already died on me. I was listening to music when it suddenly stopped playing and the screen sloooowly whited out. It then completely froze up and would not power off or do anything. I finally removed the battery just to shut it off and now it's completely dead (yes, I replaced the battery!). When I connected to my PC I could see the files, but the instant I disconnected, it was dead again. I just bought this thing and I already can't use it. I'm not too happy with it right now. Anybody else encounter this issue? Thanks.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: White Screen of Death

you replaced the dead battery? as in you bought a new battery for the e200? I only ask cuz they are the lithium batteries that are like 20 dollars. If you already replaced the battery and its still not working right you may have just gotten the lemon out of the bunch and should take it back to the store.

Maybe recovery mode and formatting would help, but usually people dont wanna go through all that when they just purchased it.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

I mean I simply put the original battery back in.  I didn't consider it dead since it was used for maybe 1 hour in total. Hope that didn't kill it!

I guess I'll have to give recovery mode a shot. As you mentioned, I don't really want to go through all that with a brand new player, but it looks like I don't have much of a choice...
Highlighted

Exact same thing happened to me, TWICE! first i bought the 250, and before i even got any music on it, i had charged it and was listening to sample tracks, it slowly whited out and i took it back because i could not completely turn it off ( blue light was still on) and i just got the e260 day before yesterday , and it has done the same thing as the last. go figure!
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

If the blue ring ever stays on, and the device appears to be unable to shut off, try holding down the power button for 20-30 seconds (or until the light goes off). Try turning it back on and resume playing. Next opportunity you get on the PC, update the firmware by using the Sansa Firmware Updater
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

I only get that white screen of death when I try turning it on after I unlock it while it says "key locked, system shutdown", but if I turn it off after it happens and turn it on again it's fine.
Highlighted

If your player freezes, all i can suggest is to Hold down the power button for a loooooooooooong time, then re-format using the Hold/Rec/turn on method.

www.anythingbutipod.com
www.anythingbutipod.com --- Helpful
Highlighted

Hmm...

I got my e280 Wednesday, and it froze on me while accessing a video, and power wouldn't work.  So I plugged it into the computer, and the computer notified me that it and the player were communicating.  5 seconds later, the screen faded out to white.  Bam!  "Connected".