Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Where can I buy DRM free .mp3 besides iTunes and Walmart.com?

The problem isn't with your sansa, it's with the DRM. When you pay a subscription fee or buy a song you generally can't transfer it onto an mp3 player unless it's specifically licensed for that. So you can get something like napster, but you can't put it on an DMP unless you get napster to go for a few bucks more. itunes will allow you to sync to a limited amount of devices but itunes generally doesn't play nice with anything other than an Ipod. You need to be sure to read up on the specific place's DRM guidelines and what you can and can't do with it.

One way to get around DRM is to burn it onto a CD (if you have burn rights) then rip it off. It will be DRM free and you can put it in any format you wish.
Highlighted

Well, they played just fine on the Sansa for almost a year - then about 2 weeks ago, they said that I needed to renew my subscription in order to use them on the sansa- that was the message on the sansa, not WMP or any other media player on the computer.

Highlighted

I've been following this now with some interest.  As far as paying any MORE for what you already have for your music, don't give anyone another red penny.  Don't give any more money to the subscription service you originally got your DRM-locked tunes from.  Close your account with them and attempt to get a refund for any remaining time/songs on the account...you will probably get zilch from them...but be DONE with them and don't be shy about telling them WHY you're leaving!  They need to understand that this method of doing business is indeed criminal and it's one of the myriad of reasons why the business of obtaining music has become criminal!  You rip enough people off and they're eventually going to show up at your door and de-furnish your house.  Smiley Happy

DO use Tunebite to convert your problem, paid-for DRM locked tunes to MP3 and then load those onto your Sansa unit.  Please don't concern yourself with any loss of fidelity.  Yes, there will be some in various parts of the audio spectrum, but in 97% of cases you REALLY need a discerning ear to be bothered by such things.  I suspect you're going to enjoy your songs very much post-conversion and, if not, then the extra pennies to repurchase them from a reputable distributor of pure, Non-DRM, MP3 songs will be well worth your while (I can almost guarantee you won't need to do that however).

Erase all of those bad, bad DRM songs with a good file shredder that will guarantee they NEVER appear again to bother you.  LOL...you wont' believe the joy that will bring you!  Then, hop on over to any of the aforementioned MP3 providers and get your songs DRM free and enjoy them problem free in perpetuity.  My personal recommendation is Amazon.com.  They have an unbelievably good selection, very good prices and the purchase comes with cover art and all kinds of good jazz.  My wife just purchased the new Einsturzende Neubauten album from Amazon (which was a private release via Amazon, bypassing the RIAA and all the other Music Nazis arresting 12 year old girls and 80 year old grandmothers and robbing them of hundreds of thousands of dollars for downloading something from Brittany Spears...who should have all her money confiscated and put in escrow for her children) and that was good for the band, good for us and good for the future of legal music exchange moving forward.

Good luck and happy listening!