SanDisk User

Re: What to do if your Sansa Won't Connect to the Computer ! ! ! !

So, I have gone through all these steps.  When I open my device manager to uninstall the usb hub I went to properties first and I see an error 10 message saying the device cannot start properly.  I installed a new MTP device and when it finished installing it said the same error message.  While my player is plugged in it makes the connection beep occasionally and I see the usb icon pop up in my system tray flashing on and off.   in the end, I cannot get my player to connect.

more and more I am missing my R Smiley Sad

SanDisk Guru

It's too early in the morning, but Google 'Code 10 error' (or search here). It's a Windows issue, not a Sansa problem.
SanDisk User

Tapeworm,

Thanks for pointing that out to me I was able to figure out the problem. 

SanDisk Guru

Holee Krap,

why is it that SEVEN (or more, I didn't open the non-descriptive-subject ones,) of the threads on the first page are the same problem?!

-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.

I have and early Sansa and have not used it for a long time.  Pressing the on/off button switches it on but nothing else and there is no way you can switch it off other than removing battery.

Plugging it in to the USB port Blue ring lights up but Windows 10 sits and cannot find it But Device manager shows "Tango Digital Media Platform" with ! when its plugged in and disappears when unplugged.

It would appear that it has lost its firmware or something like that.   So the instructions to check settings and the like are useless and it it not possible to access anything either direct nor when connected.

Maybe I am wasting my time here and should throw it in the bin, because shipping etc etc would negate the feasibility of such an operation. But anyway thought there may be someone who does know about these quirky problems. 

My computer experience goes back to the TRS and Wang Processors to the Olivetti 8080 to today's models.

SanDisk Guru

@Sploddy wrote:

Plugging it in to the USB port Blue ring lights up but Windows 10 sits and cannot find it But Device manager shows "Tango Digital Media Platform" with ! when its plugged in and disappears when unplugged.

It would appear that it has lost its firmware or something like that.   So the instructions to check settings and the like are useless and it it not possible to access anything either direct nor when connected.

This usually means that either the flash memory is corrupted and the device couldn't boot or that the flash memory chip has come loose and needs to be pushed back into the socket.  In either case it can probably be repaired, but assuming the memory chip didn't just come lose, its fairly complex to repair:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=51760.0

Its the model E200 with 8 Ghz storage.  I downloaded the update firmware from Sandisk, but came up with "Cannot find and device connected", so its certain dead.  

I have been in electronics all my life and small devices like pagers presented no problems when I used to work and I still have my set of "micro tools" and Maglight etc.  I will check it out, but sending it back would cost more than its worth.  Had look on EBay and there are plenty of reasonable players around for $25. Let's face it, it is a throw away world.  My job as a 2 way radio serviceman and Pager repairs has virtually disappeared with the advent of cheap mobile phonesand emails etc.

Thanks anyway Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

Opened up the unit. Quite easy if you have the right tools. The Cct board is held in with 4 micro screws at each corner by gently easing up the board it can be withdrawn from the frame.  There is a  sub board plugged into the mainboard which appears to hold the Main CPU and memory chips. Basically there is no way that you can replace the chips and I very much doubt that a replacement board is available even if that is faulty,  It would have to be flashed anyway.

Discussing with a friend who also investigated these devices, said that there is a 20mb partition that contains the operating system and it is strongly recommended not to plug these older devices into computers running Windows 10 as it has the propensity to find drives and storage which it cannot understand, because the device is old and does not have MS certification..  Windows 10 can do nasty things to items it does not understand. Ever tried to instal older software in W10? it flatly rejects it because most of the older software needs vbrun and other things like DOS.  Heh? what's DOS?   

So if devices like these fail, then W10 has probably tried to format or alter the device.  MS in their wisdom have removed many things from W10 like the much love "Windows Photo Viewer".  However in some case these gems are still embedded, you just have to know where and how to find them.  There is a 3rd party registry entry on-line that will restore the old Photo Viewer.

So as far as this topic goes The device has been placed in the WPB and a similar one purchase off EBAY  - End of story Smiley Happy

Incidently the Australian Government Departments continue to use Windows 7, because it was the best OS produced by MS and has the  advanced features of its networking ability which most home editions of Windows does not have.  Moral? New is not alway best! Smiley Very Happy

[ Edited ]

IMG_0103.jpgPhoto of the E200 Sansa  Sub board at top of pic.

IMG_0103.jpg