Using something other than Rhapsody

I misplaced my Rhapsody install disc a while back, and have a new PC now.  So I installed Winamp. I have my Sansa e260 in MSC mode, and I can go through winamp and send the files to the "portable device".  It shows they have written there in winamp and I can even see my mp3 player saying "Writing" while they're copying over.

Yet, once I unplug the Sansa from the usb cord, it does a system refresh, yet none of the files that were sent are showing up.

Is there a step that I'm missing? 

SanDisk Guru

Re: Using something other than Rhapsody

Do the files you sent over seem to be taking up memory space? 

Put it in MSC mode. Un-hide the music folder. See if they are on the unit by looking at what's on there with Windows Explorer. 

The files may need   ID3 tags if they are showing up in Windows Explorer but not being indexed by the Sansa.   

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

You must play around with USB mode. Perhaps they are in a wrong format.

If you do it in MSC like above said, does any files show up? 

Thank You.

I was able to un-hide them and see them through windows explorer.  Still unable to see them on the device though.   

SanDisk Guru

They need ID3v2 tags. Winamp (View File Info) can tell you if they are ID3v1 or ID3v2, and copy them over if they are ID3v1.

They're definitely ID3v2 tags.  Thanks for the help.
SanDisk Guru

Just to make things more interesting, they have to be ID3v2.3--not ID3v2.4. And apparently Unicode doesn't always work.

Try using free  mp3tag and, as the Markster suggests, use ISO-8859-1 encoding (not the other choices). 

[ Edited ]

OK, so a co-worker has the same mp3 player, and still had their Rhapsody install disc.

I installed it, but it's not recognizing any of the files on my mp3 player.  It says it's scanning for media, but never finds anything.  And when I import mp3's into Rhapsody and then transfer to the Sansa, it says it's writing. But when I check it afterward, the record doesn't appear.

Message Edited by DaNkinator on 04-23-2008 12:30 PM