Thumb Wheel Jitters - E260 Refurb

Got my E260 Refurb a couple of days ago from TigerDirect.com.  My stepson got his from the same place, and I was so impressed, I just had to have my own... 

Both of us seem to have the same quirk...  The thumb wheel is very weird.  When scrolling through menus, sometimes it will jump up several lines while scrolling down, then just jitter down and up while still turning it for a downward scroll.  We've tried pushing it down harder, and pushing it down lighter, with no noticable difference...

Is this something that is common to this device?  I've searched this forum, and found very little dealing with this quirk.

I've already switched to RockBox (and love it ) to see if that would cure the problem, but it's still there...

--Buck

SanDisk Guru

Re: Thumb Wheel Jitters - E260 Refurb

[ Edited ]

The scroll wheel wasn't reconditioned during the refurb process, or it may have appeared fine when tested.  If you are handy with electronic devices, here's a guide to cleaning your scroll wheel.

With a little careful work, your scroll wheel will be good for thousands of hours.

Your other option, since you just received it, is to choose another cherry from the tree, and return your device for another.  The tradeoff is whether the rest of the device is well reconditioned (the face, etc.)

Bob  Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 07-13-2008 08:29 PM

Thanks Bob.  I'll give the surgery a try later in the week when I get some time.  The pictures in the link are very useful...

--Buck

Highlighted

@neutron_bob wrote:

The scroll wheel wasn't reconditioned during the refurb process, or it may have appeared fine when tested.  If you are handy with electronic devices, here's a guide to cleaning your scroll wheel.

With a little careful work, your scroll wheel will be good for thousands of hours.

Your other option, since you just received it, is to choose another cherry from the tree, and return your device for another.  The tradeoff is whether the rest of the device is well reconditioned (the face, etc.)

Bob  Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 07-13-2008 08:29 PM

Hello:

The link to cleaning your scroll wheel is gone. Please repost.

Thanks

Everton