Stupid unknown files

Can someone help with my e260?  I started getting bad track notices recently.  I spoke with tech suppport & they told me to refomat the player.  When I tried to do that I got a message that the device was unable to reformat itself.  I looked in the music file & saw my music + some file folders & files of about 2GB but with nothing in them...they're titled with "("...")"..."e"...";".  I tried to manually deltet them but they wouldn't go away...HELP!!!
SanDisk User

Re: Stupid unknown files

Weird, are there file extensions or file types?

Try booting the player up in recovery mode and then reformat. I believe instructions on how to do this are in the FAQ.
SanDisk Guru

You can also put the unit in MSC mode and try Windows' own chkdsk.

Start/Run/chkdisk g: (or whatever drive letter your Sansa comes up as in Windows Explorer). It will give you the choice to save bad files as something else. Do that and then you may be able to delete the saved bad files.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
I thought that was a BIG NO NO?   I thought that would brick the unit.  Smiley Surprised

Update:

From another support forum

DO NOT FORMAT FROM YOUR COMPUTER IN RECOVERY MODE!!!! EVER!!!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THAT!!!!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THINKING ABOUT DOING THAT!!!!!! IT WILL MOST LIKELY BRICK YOUR PLAYER _OUT OF REPAIR!!!!

Message Edited by Pepi on 09-26-2007 12:42 PM
SanDisk Guru

running chkdisk? nothin wrong with that =P
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

Well...I put the player in MSC mode & then was able to reformat & reload my music...thanx for all the help!
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

chkdsk checks the disk. It does not reformat.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers