Sansa e280 will not turn on

My sansa e280 mp3 player will not turn on.
I tried holding the menu/power button for 15-20 seconds...even, tried again for 30 seconds...and tried another time for a minute and it STILL doesn't turn on.
I took out the battery pack, waited, put the battery pack back in and then tried turning it on, as well, but it still doesn't work.
When the battery pack is in the mp3 player, the mp3 player gets really warm, even though it does not turn on.
Even when I plug in the USB cable into my computer, my computer does not recognize that a USB cable has been plugged in and the screen on the mp3 player doesn't light up like it used to. I even tried turning on the mp3 player with the USB cable attached, but even that doesn't work.
Please help! I've only had the mp3 player for 3 months and it's already broken?!?! I hope your products are not this unrealiable.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: Sansa e280 will not turn on

Hi, try turning it into recovery mode and turning it on, If it doesn't turn on, there is probably a hardware malfunction, if it does, connect it and reload firmware. Good luck Smiley Happy

How do I turn it into recovery mode and is there a manufactuer's warranty on this product?
SanDisk Professor

@bnsync21 wrote:
How do I turn it into recovery mode and is there a manufactuer's warranty on this product?

I am not sure that Recovery Mode is going to help much with the problem that you are describing.

I suggest you contact Sandisk. And yes, your player has a one year warranty.

Good luck

After about 2 or 3 hours my e280v2 will freeze up on me at work and will not turn back on.  Pressing the menu or on button for 20 or 30 seconds, then trying to turn it on doesn't help at all.  The battery starts getting very warm, almost hot.  When this first happened, I thought that the unit was fried, but when I got home and connected it to my computer it came on and functioned normally.  The battery was totally discharged, of course.  I don't have the means to take the back off at work and remove the battery, but I have a feeling that this would return the unit to normal if I could.  I've taken the screws out to test that theory when it happens again.  I'll try reloading the e280v2 firmware and see if that helps.  I've already formatted the drive twice.  Thanks.  Anyone have any other ideas?
SanDisk Guru

@Sparkieboy wrote:
After about 2 or 3 hours my e280v2 will freeze up on me at work and will not turn back on.  Pressing the menu or on button for 20 or 30 seconds, then trying to turn it on doesn't help at all.  The battery starts getting very warm, almost hot.  When this first happened, I thought that the unit was fried, but when I got home and connected it to my computer it came on and functioned normally.  The battery was totally discharged, of course.  I don't have the means to take the back off at work and remove the battery, but I have a feeling that this would return the unit to normal if I could.  I've taken the screws out to test that theory when it happens again.  I'll try reloading the e280v2 firmware and see if that helps.  I've already formatted the drive twice.  Thanks.  Anyone have any other ideas?

Lots of things can cause the player to lock up on you, including bad or corrupted files or bad id3 tags.  Normally, the player should respond to holding down menu/power for 20-30 seconds.  Use a stopwatch to make sure you're holding down the button long enough.  Sometimes it can be tough to judge 20 seconds.  Next time it happens try holding down menu/power again.  If it doesn't work, try taking the battery out and putting it back in after about the same amount of time (20 seconds or so should do it).  If it still won't power on until you plug it into the PC, it could be you either have a bad battery or perhaps something is wrong with the player that's causing it to drain the battery too quickly.

I have been looking through the board for this the last couple of days and here it is, so I have to reply. Not sure I can help, as I have the same questions. I just bought a couple of these a month ago. Both refurbished, and both worked well to start off. My son's is still working, but here's my situation. I was listening to my 1st one at work on the 25th day of owning it. It suddenly stopped playing in the middle of a song (that I know is ok, as it had been played before) and began clicking over and over. I tried every button to no avail. I finally held the power button down for 15 seconds to turn it off. It never powered up again. It was exactly as you described though, as far as getting REALLY warm. I kept watching it to make sure it didn't catch fire! It did finally cool down, about 5 hours later. I carried it home, and tried to connect it to the computer and NOTHING. I carried it back to the store and was able to exchange it since it was within 30 days. The second one went back the next day with a short in the earphone jack that would not work itself out. I'm now on my 3rd one, and worrying every day when this one is going to quit. I really hate feeling this way about the player, as it is a great piece..... when it works. I bought my son's on the day after buying my 1st, and his is still going great. I guess I just had some really bad luck. (That's nothing unusual.) I do love it, don't get me wrong. I just hope this one lasts.

Now, someone who knows help me out here, but there's one thing I wonder about. I've read somewhere that you can take the battery out and connect via the USB cable for power. Would that help in this situation, to determine if the battery is at fault? Or is this something more catastrophic than that?

I think that I have my problem solved and I hope that this will help you.  As you know, I wrote:

"After about 2 or 3 hours my e280v2 will freeze up on me at work and will not turn back on.  Pressing the menu or on button for 20 or 30 seconds, then trying to turn it on doesn't help at all.  The battery starts getting very warm, almost hot.  When this first happened, I thought that the unit was fried, but when I got home and connected it to my computer it came on and functioned normally.  The battery was totally discharged, of course.  I don't have the means to take the back off at work and remove the battery, but I have a feeling that this would return the unit to normal if I could.  I've taken the screws out to test that theory when it happens again.  I'll try reloading the e280v2 firmware and see if that helps.  I've already formatted the drive twice.  Thanks.  Anyone have any other ideas?"

Well, I did take the battery out, and that returned my e280v2 back to normal functioning.  I only removed it for about 5 seconds and then put it back in - that was long enough.   Later, as I continued to listen to it, it happened 2 more times.  Each time taking the battery out caused the unit to function again. It would freeze after about 2 hours of use.  Then, I got the idea that maybe it was because of the way that I was charging the battery.  I was using a wall charger that I purchased for a couple of dollars.  With the battery totally discharged,  I used the USB cable provided with the e280v2 and charged the battery with the computer instead of the wall charger.  I used it last night and NEVER had it freeze up on me even once when I've been having this problem for over a week now (probably about the time I started using the wall charger).   I'm guessing that the wall charger charges the battery differently than the computer does.   Since the wall charger is a quicker charge, maybe it releases it's power in the same way, maybe causing the unit to overload.  I don't know, maybe some "guru" can help me here.   I'm just glad that I figured it out, because like you, my e280v2 is refurbished and beyond the date to return.  As you say,  it really is a fine player in sound and in features.  I hope that this helps you.  My best wishes.

@TheMarkster wrote:

@Sparkieboy wrote:

Lots of things can cause the player to lock up on you, including bad or corrupted files or bad id3 tags.  Normally, the player should respond to holding down menu/power for 20-30 seconds.  Use a stopwatch to make sure you're holding down the button long enough.  Sometimes it can be tough to judge 20 seconds.  Next time it happens try holding down menu/power again.  If it doesn't work, try taking the battery out and putting it back in after about the same amount of time (20 seconds or so should do it).  If it still won't power on until you plug it into the PC, it could be you either have a bad battery or perhaps something is wrong with the player that's causing it to drain the battery too quickly.

Thanks for the information.  I did get problem solved and it turned out to be the wall charger.  Once I started charging the unit with the computer via the USB cable, it has been fine.  Perhaps the charger is charging the battery too rapidly?  I just know that my e280v2 doesn't like the wall charger.  Thanks again for your help.

SanDisk Guru

@Sparkieboy wrote:

Thanks for the information.  I did get problem solved and it turned out to be the wall charger.  Once I started charging the unit with the computer via the USB cable, it has been fine.  Perhaps the charger is charging the battery too rapidly?  I just know that my e280v2 doesn't like the wall charger.  Thanks again for your help.

I hope you continued success with using USB rather than the wall charger for charging your battery.  I really don't think using a quick charger will affect the battery short term in the manner you have been describing.  I could be wrong, of course.  Long term, I do believe a quick charger can have a negative impact on battery life (battery life as measured over a period of months as opposed to in between daily charges).  This is because the quick chargers work by pumping more current into the battery in a shorter period of time, which can cause heat to build up during the charging process.  Heat is a killer for rechargeable batteries.  A USB port will deliver (if it follows USB standards) only 500 mA whereas a quick charger might deliver as much as 4500 mA, depending on the model.  Pumping more current into the battery in a shorter period of time leads to heat buildup because the heat created by the current inside the battery is not being dissipated faster than it is being created.  This heat buildup on charging is not related to excessive heat buildup on discharging, though, unless there is an issue with the battery itself.
The short of it, in sum, is it's generally easier on the battery to charge it slowly via the USB port.  Sometimes it's not convenient, though, such as when you're in a hurry to get the player charged.  In those cases, the quick charger is a nice thing to have and is generally not too hard on the battery when it's used sparingly.  My recommendation is to use USB for normal charging and only use the faster wall charger when you need that quick boost.