Sansa e280 - Battery Swelling

Has anyone else had a problem with their Sansa battery SWELLING within the player? This happened to me.

I didn't notice until a number of weeks ago, after being unable to fully press a few of the front buttons. I decided to take the back of the player off and lo-behold, the battery just fell out. See the picture:

I called Sansa Support and placed an RMA, sent them the pictures and I haven't gotten a reply. This was five days ago. How long should I expect to wait to hear a reply?

-Evan
SanDisk Guru

Re: Sansa e280 - Battery Swelling

if you havent recieved details about pictures you sent in that long ago, you shoudl call back and make an inquirery as to the state of your RMA. It shouldnt take more then 2 days. Have your RMA number ready to help the process along.

When I called, they made a big deal about what I put in the subject line. THey wanted my first and last name, as well as the rma number in the subject line.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

Swelling batteries are not a good thing Smiley Surprised  Next step is explosion

I don't even have an RMA number yet. The representative I talked to on the phone opened a new case for me, so I have a case number. He told me that I had to send in pictures before I could get an RMA, and that it didn't matter what I had in the subject line as long as the E-mail contained my name and case number. You'd think that with all the negativity surrounding battery technology lately that they would be all over this.
SanDisk Guru

if you didnt have an RMA yet then that makes sense. THey wouldnt be able to say its for RMA untill they saw it. At that point the RMA team can decide if its getting replaced or not.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

I think that battery is not looking very well...

Seriously now, you might have left your player near some kind of a heat source (maybe exposed it to sunlight if it was near a window). Or you fed your Sansa with beans and now it's gassy. I don't see other solution. Anyway, get that thing out of that player before it leaks! The battery costs less then a new Sansa!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
SanDisk Professor

Wow that looks unhealthy. You can do one of 2 things. Take it out ASAP and get a battery replacement pack. Or Get the entire thing replaced.

I called Sansa Support again and managed to get an RMA filed. I got an E-mail about my SanDisk Support Request having a response in my eBox, but when I log into the site there is nothing new there (strange, huh).

I'm supposed to be getting three E-mails within the next day that outline how I am to send the sansa away and how they will be shipping a replacement e280 to me within 10-15 days. We'll see how painful this becomes.

[ Edited ]
Actually, when I started having problems with pressing the buttons I had left it in my drawer at work, and I knew it had been fully charged. A couple of days went by before I turned it on again and it wouldn't start, not even a low battery message. I'm led to believe that the charging components in the player had malfunctioned and allowed the battery to over-charge causing this swelling. If I plug it in again it could explode and burn down my house.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCFUGDcSuLw

Message Edited by ewisnor on 09-06-2007 10:18 PM

I have a Sansa Fuze I've had for about 18 months.  I don't use it much, mostly when I travel.  I put it on charge last week with the supplied USB cable and after about 10 minutes I heard a click and it jumped off the table.  I picked it up and saw that the battery had swelled dramatically, splitting the case open.  It was still on (!).  I unplugged it and turned it off. 

I reported it to SanDisk with full documentation and they said I was out of warranty so they would do nothing.  

I fear that if I had not been in the room, it could easily have either split, leaking nasty chemicals, or caught fire.  Not nice.

I won't be using SanDisk products again.