Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Sansa Speed

I have a e250 v1 and i have the new firmware in. But, it is VERY slow and i want to make it faster. How?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Sansa Speed

What specifically is slow?
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Dude, like, mods and stuff?  Whoa! 

No worries, I just had to interject a superfluous "like" into the sentence, like my daughters do, like.

Is the "slow" issue the database refresh delay when starting up?  Rockbox is the hot ticket for the v1, especially if you are running with a µSD card in use.  The boot speed advantage, and retention of the database unless there's a change, plus µSDHC capabilities, can be helped with Rockbox installed.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Wasn't there something about formatting after putting the new firmware on in order to fix a speed issue?  I seem to recall reading that.  Try formatting the player and reloading your files.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

A clean slate can cure a myriad of little ailments.  Be sure to format as FAT with 32KB cluster allocation, for a 2GB device.  If you have a larger (above 2GB player), use FAT32.  The teeny 4KB size Windows likes can slow things considerably...the file allocation table can be huge with teeny clusters.

The Sansa likes 32KB best.

Bob  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-16-2009 08:46 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

i've formatted it many times and format it every time i connect it to my computer but i should try that cluster thingy. How much faster does it make the sansa using the cluster method?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Formatting will assign clusters period. You can't format without them.

And why would you format your player every time you plug it into your computer?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Tapeworm wrote:

Formatting will assign clusters period. You can't format without them.

And why would you format your player every time you plug it into your computer?

That is a great question. Clearly, he must not have 12GB(like me) or 24GB (like you) to re-fill after all those formats

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Marvin_Martian wrote:

That is a great question. Clearly, he must not have 12GB(like me) or 24GB (like you) to re-fill after all those formats

I've only HAD to re-format 1 of my v1 players once due to bad tracks and the weird folder/file names that won't delete. And it's behaved ever since. I think all the v1's need a good 'high colonic' once to set them up right. Smiley Surprised

All my other players, I've formatted them as soon as I've gotten them to remove all the sample crud SanDisk put on them. After that, it's smooth sailin'.

Formatting is a avoid-at-all-costs, last-ditch-effort, can't-do-anything-else-with-it kind of procedure. It's definitely not something you want to have to do a a regular basis.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

I reformat them 1) just 4 kicks 2) so i can reload the "new" songs 3) because i think that it "refreshes" the sansa and i have  2gb.

And what is this cluster size and what does it do?