Refreshing Database on every Startup!

I added a 2 Gb microSD card to expand my e280 unit's (with latest firmware) memory. I formated it via MCS and loaded new mp3 files onto it. Now when ever I turn the system on I have to wait a long while (3-5 min) while it refreshes the database. Sandisk's tech's response was that the memory card is slower than the memory in the system and that is why I get the message. Is this expected behavior when one adds memory to the e280? I tried switching back to the MTP format but that didn't help. Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Refreshing Database on every Startup!

FYI
I read on another post that I could call tech support. With some difficulty because of poor quality phone lines, I was told that the refreshing the database problem is due to my internal memory being nearly completely full. They recommended moving some of the files from the internal memory to the microSD card or deleting a few files from the internal memory.
SanDisk User

lol i thought this was normal, my sansa has always done it but it takes less than 15 secs for 8bg + 1 gb micro sd.

can anybody confirm this?
SanDisk Professor

You should reload the firmwar eand reload the tunes on your SD card, it should help remedy the problem.
Hope this helps Smiley Happy
SanDisk Professor

no no, the reason why your player is refreshing the database every time on start up, is either A) you are in MSC or Rhapsody mode or B) You are in MTP or Plays for Sure mode, and you have a MicroSD card plugged into your player.

It does that all the time, it is supposed to do that. My player does it as well... There is nothing wrong with the player, and reloading firmware is not going to stop it. It is part of the player. At least to my knowledge, and tech support's knowledge that is.

I called them as well on this issue, many many months ago, and was told it is supposed to do that, and that is a normal function.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

+1   and it is a pain in the butt for sure  Smiley Mad
SanDisk Professor

Tis true, but if you do not refresh the database, then it will not know what you have or have not added, or deleted Smiley Very Happy

I have a 280 (8gb) with a 2gb microcard.  Both have a little bit of free space on them but not much.
Normally the database refreshing takes about a minute or two at startup.  I don't mind it so much.

However, if I add or delete any songs, the very next time I turn on the player it does a database refreshing for much longer...takes about 7 minutes or so.  I figure it's just trying to sort thru the new content.   For this reason I try to only add material once every couple of weeks.
SanDisk User

Just remember and turn it on before getting into the shower. Be nice and ready once your dried off  Smiley Happy
bmn
SanDisk User

same problem here. it's really annoying to wait approx 1 min until i can actually listen to music.

why don't they implement something like a hidden file containing a timestamp on the microSD card which gets compared to an internal timestamp of the last database rebuilding. if the timestamps are the same the database doesn't get rebuild. would take less time that rebuilding the entire database.

do the sansa people listen to user's suggestions? i wrote them twice but they never replied.