Highlighted

Opinions on the E260

I am considering purchasing a Sansa E260 tomorrow and I want to guage current users opinions of this player before I actually put the order through.

The other options I have considered where the creative zen, the Sony NWZ A816 and of course, the Sandisk Sansa E260 (all 4gb players) 

The main issues I have read about with regards to the e200 series are

mechanical noise that can be heard through the headphones -has this been resolved within firmware updates?
playlist creator - has the basic functionality (you have to play a song to add it to the'go' list and can only add 1 song at a time) been sorted through firmware upgrade?
custom EQ - can it now be done or are is the player limited to presets?
boot times?  Is it really 15 seconds to boot up to useable?
Sleep timer - is there one?
What is the maximum micro sd/transflash card that can be used?

I appreciate evryones responses

Many thanks
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: Opinions on the E260

[ Edited ]
I haven't tried the zen or sony ones anytime soon, but I use the e200 v2 pretty much everyday.  I have an e240.

here are my thoughts about your questions:

mechanical noise: I haven't experienced anything relating to mechanical noise. maybe a pop during silence when the unit is turning on or off, but that seems normal for most mp3 players.

playlist/golist - I'm not into playlists, but adding golist songs is one at a time, and the song has to be playing from what I notice.  I'm not sure how other players handle playlist creation during playback, but I don't think I've seen any compact style mp3 player that can do multi-select. otherwise, that'd be remotely close to a small media player / pocket PC.

custom EQ - yes its there. there are also a bunch of presets to use too.

boot times - I've experienced anything from 6 seconds to 10 secs for turning on.  if you insert a mSD with a bunch of stuff and than turn on the player, the boot time is longer as it has to do a database check on the mSD.

sleep timer - there are two power saver options. one is backlight and the other is auto-shut off. for backlight you can have 5,10,15,30,45,60 seconds or always on.  for auto shut off, is 5 - 120 minutes in increments of 5.

mSD - max I've used is 8gb mSD card on it.

In terms of my opinion on using it on a personal level, i'm pretty satisified.  on a level from one to ten I'd give a 7, but tahts only cause of personal preference. I like simplicity and straight to the core cause I want complete control in functionality and usage.  I'd suggest going to a best buy or some other store and try all their display models thoroughly.  that's what I did.

hope this helps you in your decision.

Message Edited by thoma on 12-06-2007 04:13 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

If you've got money to spend, go for the Archos 705 wifi, its pretty sweet! Problem with the e200 v2, it has a new chipset so rockbox isnt yet competible on it. video quality on the e200 is pretty bad, (the audio (in video mode) is asolute **bleep**). The audio quality is ok, but  is much better when running rockbox! The E200 v1's were good because of their proccesors and other assorted hardware, similiar with the v2's, but it is all wasted with the OF, so its pointless getting one if you cant run rockbox on them! what are the major changes in the V2 anyway, is it much faster?? For that sort of price range, try, maybe a gigabeat V30, that has a slight possibility for rockbox capabilities in the future, definatelty not an ipod! its probably too late now, because you've already gone out and thrown your money at the retailer! V1's using old firmware have alot of system noise, but it decreases pretty much every update, you can edit the playlists on your computer! Boot times deecrease as you upgrade the firmware, SD cards make it lag out though!

Good luck with your purchase, (V)3@7Y
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
not bought anything as yet  -  I'm based in the UK so cannot go into bestbuy to have a look at one.  The stores in the UK do not stock any Sandisk players whatsoever.  I have managed to check out the other two however.  The only one out of the son and creative i would consider is the sony.  the creative seems too delicate.    Any order for a player will have to be done on the internet  and have it delivered.

in reality i have £60-£70  ($120-$140 ish) to spend on a 4gb player - if not the sansa what should i consider?

Message Edited by bluechang08 on 12-07-2007 05:53 AM
Highlighted

Hello,

I own the e260 4g sansa and think it is a great player. My employment is with a large electronics distributer which allowed me to play with all mp3 players prior to purchasing. In the end I chose the sansa for its great sound and value. The price for what you get can't be matched by Apple.  if you are looking to really accessorize then this will be the sansas downfall.  There are so many more items for the Apples then for any other player.  If you don't need the ones that Sansa doesn't have then it shouldn't matter to you.  I love my Sansa for the gym and every day.

good Luck
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I got my Sansa after playing the same mp3 files back-to-back with a Nano. The sound quality in the Sansa was much better.

There's no mechanical noise. Never was. If there is static between songs, as some people say, I haven't heard it through my Shure E3c headphones, and it's definitely inaudible with music playing.

I don't use playlists, but there are playlist apps like Sanse Playlister

http://hcware.110mb.com/sansa/

and probably Media Monkey. That's if you're willing to playlist from the computer, of course.

Booting takes time if you have the MicroSD card installed. It's definitely not instant-on.

A sleep timer is different from the Auto Shutoff. There is none.

Maximum card supported by the firmware is 2GB. Rockbox may support more, but then you have to make sure you have a v1  (at least until the Rockbox hackers figure out the v2, and  they're usually pretty fast).

I'd use Rockbox just for the hacker cool of it, as I did on my iRiver H120. But I prefer the ID3 database of the Sansa firmware over the file-and-folder organization of Rockbox. And last time I looked, Rockbox didn't have a USB driver, so you had to go back to the original firmware for that anyway.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted

I have had a e260 since they first came out and i really like it alot. I was thinking of upgrading to the new sony  8 gb and went to circuit city to check them out. they seemed to be a nice player but they are a little smaller than the e200 line and i prefered the bigger size of the player and screen on the e200, i ended up getting a e280 from amazon for a little over a  $100.00

i think the sound quality is fine, i hook mine up to my home stereo unit and i get good sound out of it. so far i have not tried making a playlist for it , but i plan to in the future. it seems to be a pretty durable player in my opinion. it also has a fm radio in which is decent and can you do recordings on it from the radio

for the price you can't beat it

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I have the e250- smaller capacity. I bought it CHEAP ($58US after taxes/shipping) refurbished (tigerdirect.com) and love it!
I've never owned any other player so can't compare.

-There isn't any mechanical noise while playing- occasionally when I adjust the volume it 'clicks' from setting to setting. It's a flash drive. (ie no harddrive to die someday.)
-customer equalizer IS available, with presets.
-no playlist creator built in, but it DOES accept playlists from MS Media player or whatever. AND, you can label your songs as "favorites" then they are added to the "go list" which basically IS a playlist.  This is tedious though.
-boot time seems about right, I've never timed it.  Not sure about the sleep timer, either. It does have a clock and date, so maybe it does?
-max MicroSD card i THINK is 2gb. Later versions might handle larger?

-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

PS- check out www.rockbox.org for even mroe the player can do, if you feel like tinkering a little. ;-)
-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

A new one might be v2, which hasn't been Rockboxed....yet.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers