Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Not enough space for music DB - but then drive cannot be recognised on either mac or PC

On Saturday my sansa e240 (v2) filled up after recording radio so I got the message "Not enough pace for music db - free up 90MB". This is not normally a problem as I hook it up to my mac and remove sufficient podcasts to fix the problem.

However this time when I connected the sansa, only the SD card would show any files and the internal drive prompted an unrecognised drive message, prompting to initialise or eject. The files are also unrecognised using XNJB  or in Windows XP (on my work laptop). I've also run terminal and only the SD card is listed

As security issues with Windows prevent me from transferring files to removable devices on my work laptop, I need a solution which is simple for my mac. Will initialising the drive be the solution or will it cause further problems?

I've had a good look around the ABI forums as well as the Sandisk forums but there does not seem to be any similar incident posted or anything in the manual or FAQ - forgive me if I have missed them.

I don't want to go out and replace my sansa with an ipod - this is my second (my first quashed the idea of them being more robust than the flimsy ipod by not surviving being dropped onto a (carpeted) floor but if Sandisk continue to ignore Macintosh then I may have to, as security issues are making it less and less an option to use Windows outside a very limited environment.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Not enough space for music DB - but then drive cannot be recognised on either mac or PC

Don't you have any friends with Windows computers?

Formatting the drive from a Mac will put the Mac filesystem on it--definitely not a solution. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted

Re: Not enough space for music DB - but then drive cannot be recognised on either mac or PC

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response.

I have wife with a windows computer but I don't wish to use Windows. I could format it from on my work Windows laptop which would surely give the same issue as initialising it from a mac - wiping everything (I may have to download the latest firmware updater and run that from my laptop - but that is a last resort). There is obviously a bug somewhere which makes the internal drive appear unrecognisable - to whatever operating system - windows, mac or unix.

There needs to be decent support for (non intel) macintosh. 

Message Edited by GordonS on 12-29-2008 07:56 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

you wrote: "...I could format it from on my work Windows laptop which would surely give the same issue as initialising it from a mac..."

Not so. Mac and Windows format the physical disk in different, incompatible ways.  

The Sansa is made to be formatted through Windows. If you can connect it to the Windows computer, get the internal memory recognized and right-click on it and Format... to FAT32, it will wipe off all the content, including any problem files, without affecting the Sansa's own firmware.

Otherwise use this method (from the Markster) to connect and format.

Turn the player off.

Slide HOLD to locked position.

Press and hold |<< while connecting to PC.

Release |<< after the player boots up and says "connected"

Go to MyComputer and find the first of 2 new removable drives.  Right-click and choose Format.  This will delete all of your files off the player, but will probably get it to be able to restart normally and get past the logo screen.

Then, while you're in there, you could use this thread to update the firmware.  But if it works with what you've got,  and you have the USB mode switch that wasn't in the earliest v2 firmware, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Don't bother with the firmware updater, just install it manually. The firmware updater tries to connect to SanDisk every time your Windows computer starts up and it isn't going to find anything newer than the latest firmware here, which is in all probability the last. The E200 has been discontinued. 

Interoperability would be nice, but with a discontinued product, it's not going to happen. At least the E200 has MSC mode, which does work with both Windows and Mac.

We're just users here. It was SanDisk's decision not to compete directly with iPod's Apple compatibility--or, perhaps, not to pay Apple mucho dinero for that privilege.  It's a walled garden; it's just that the walls are invisible to the Mac minority. 

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 12-29-2008 01:27 PM
Highlighted

Thanks,

Formatting from explorer had no side effect - recognised in Finder on Mac so back up and running once settings reset. 

Highlighted
SanDisk User

@c1u31355 wrote:

Formatting the drive from a Mac will put the Mac filesystem on it--definitely not a solution. 

Not true! I have had no trouble formatting Sansa devices with the FAT32 filesystem using the standard Disk Utility on my PPC (non-Intel) Mac running 10.5 Leopard.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Good to know. Mac users should just make sure to use FAT32 and nothing else.